Forum: General Discussion

Discussions about VirtualDJ, and about DJing in general

Forum Guidelines
If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
(*) The moderators hold the rights to move or modify posts in order to keep the discussions clear or to facilitate the search.
Topic: Auto Stop Automix
Would love to see VDJ8 written so that if automix is active and you manually start any player with a keyboard shortcut or pressing the deck play button that the automix would auto turn off. I can't think of anytime you would fire a song and not want to turn off the automix and bring crossfader back to center.
I think this feature is like cruise control turning off when you hit the brakes. Imagine if you hit the brakes and the cruise control stayed on.

Posted 7 days ago @ 12:52 am
Hmm. That wouldn't really be a good thing in general - at least not for me

Automix is just another track playing, that happens to have another track waiting at the end of it.
It's an integrated part of a DJing flow.

Remember that you can beatmix out of it and effect out of it and so on - so it would be pretty bad if it just stopped playing. Again: in the situation where you are about to stop using automix, think of it like any other track currently playing, and act like if you were mixing out of a track, which in fact is what you are doing

Like in these 2 examples:

You can also mix back into it if you just needed to play for a specific track for a few minutes, like in this example:

So regarding your car example, it would be more like if cruise control stopped on your neighbours car, when you touched the breaks on your car :)

Posted 7 days ago @ 4:13 am
here is a script to assign to a KEY or a BUTTON. This script will only work if AUTOMIX is enabled (copy and paste)

automix ? automix & deck 1 play ? deck 2 play & deck 1 repeat_start_instant 'levelSweep' 10ms 101 & level & param_smaller 1% ? stop & repeat_stop 'levelSweep' & stop & repeat_start "WaitTimer" 100ms 1 & level 100% : level -1% : deck 2 play ? deck 1 play & deck 2 repeat_start_instant 'levelSweep' 10ms 101 & level & param_smaller 1% ? stop & repeat_stop 'levelSweep' & stop & repeat_start "WaitTimer" 100ms 1 & level 100% : level -1%

Posted 7 days ago @ 4:55 am
Thanks for the 2 examples. I never thought of using automix for live mixing. I only use if for prelude music, cocktail hour and dinner music when my client has a playlist I preload. Once the dancing or a spotlight song starts I turn off the automix before I start song or it jumps back and plays the next song. If is interesting that your crossfader stays in the middle when you are in automix. Mine always goes 100% to the side that is active and at the mix crossfade automatically. As long as I remember to turn off automix it's fine. Turning it off doesn't stop the current song it just lets me safely start any song I need and doesn't want to revert back to the next song.

Thanks for the script. I tried it. I think you have to be a rocket scientist to figure that script out. I guess I didn't describe exactly what I needed.
I actually have two different keys assigned to start deck 1 & 2. They work perfect except when automix is active. I would need a script for each deck that just by default still was a play button for each deck and then if automix was active it would stop automix, return crossfader to 50%, NO level change, and still start the respective deck for that button.

I actually was able to write a simple 4 step script that works perfect when automix is on. The problem is that automix toggles so if it isn't on and I just want to start that deck it starts the song but also starts automix.

Here's what I wrote that works when automix is active. This is for deck 1. I just switch the 1 & 2 in the script and it works for that button for deck 2.

Thanks for all the info........

Posted 6 days ago @ 5:20 am
deck 2 play_button & deck 1 stop_button & auto_crossfade 50%

Posted 6 days ago @ 5:22 am
After several days of testing scripts (I'm a slow learner) I got it working. This may not be for most of the Club DJ's but if any Wedding DJ's like me have been frustrated with the way Automix works this is a great fix. You can copy and paste and just change the button F2 and F6 to whatever button you use to start deck 1 & 2.
Hope it helps someone. Sure works great for my gigs.

F2 automix ? deck 1 play_button & deck 2 stop_button & auto_crossfade 50% & automix : deck 1 play_button

F6 automix ? deck 2 play_button & deck 1 stop_button & auto_crossfade 50% & automix : deck 2 play_button

Posted 4 days ago @ 6:05 pm