Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Virtual Folders - Moving songs instead of copying

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

vjboyPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I've been experimenting with Virtual Folders as a way to organize my extensive library of tracks. I realize that when dragging a song from the file window to a Virtual Folder the actual song is not being copied, its just a place holder to that song. I also noticed that when dragging a song from a Virtual Folder to another Virtual Folder, it will duplicate the song rather than moving it. My preference would be to move the song place holder if possible, not create another copy. Here's why:

Imagine that you have a stack of physical records laid out on the floor in front of you and you'd like to put the discs into their own crates or boxes categorized by whatever criteria you want (genre, year, etc.). I guess this is how DJ's and record store owners did things back before computers!

Well I'd like to do the same thing with Virtual Folders but like I said, duplicates of the song place holders are created whenever I drag them to new Virtual Folders so in my above analogy it would be like a disc being created every time you moved one into a crate. Your stack of discs would never get smaller!

Back to my Virtual Folder experiment, I want to start with one large Virtual Folder that contains all of my tracks, then I want to gradually whittle this folder down, moving the songs into other folders that will make it easier and faster to find what I need. If the number of songs in the main folder remains the same it makes it harder to keep track of what songs I still need to categorize. I hope that makes sense.

Anyone know if its possible to move tracks instead of copying them? Or is there another way to accomplish what I describe?

Posted Fri 17 Nov 17 @ 3:05 am
Have you looked at the 'My Library' plugin? Available for Mac and PC in the downloads area.

Use it coupled with discogs to fill the tags that are available in the Tag Editor.

In the genre field you can manually edit it to contain more than one genre so that the same song can show up in different lists. ;-)

Posted Fri 17 Nov 17 @ 8:39 am
After "copying" some files from a Virtual Folder to another, why don't you just right click on the select files and select "remove from this Virtual Folder" option ?

Virtual Folders are actually more like playlists. While a song belongs to one physical folder on your hard drive, it can also belong to several Virtual Folders without having to copy the actual file.

Posted Mon 20 Nov 17 @ 11:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)