Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [NEW] Reloop Touch controller - VirtualDJ 8 Pro included - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Is it really only 4 decks or is that again the reviewers not doing their homework?

Posted Tue 17 Oct 17 @ 10:26 pm
Does anyone know of the pro license is for life or demo only?? Thinking about trading my xdj rx as i use vdj for my mobile discos? Would be better control over the music and my laser.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 10:08 am
@rez1812
Its a pro license for life, with one limitation, it can only be used with a Reloop Touch controller.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 12:49 pm
Good to see Atomix getting back in the game. Well done team.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 12:52 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
klausmogensen wrote :
djdad wrote :

According to the manufacture of the drivers Windows 7 is supported. Havent tested though but should work.

Would it be possible to do a quick test to see if it runs with Win7, even though it's not officially supported?

Reloop verified that Windows 7 is also supported. The specifications text in their website will be corrected soon.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 3:10 pm
I'm wondering - as the screen is actually a second computer monitor, so all the graphics will be drawn & sent from the computer over the USB connection (unlike other controllers which have most of the screen's GUI embedded), how does this affect the overall speed/refresh rate/response?

From posts seen here, some people suffer with gitches or stuttering etc on their screens - and that's their main screen, directly connected to the GPU.

Adding a second one, on USB, with a whole skin being drawn on it, makes me worry that the computer will need to be very high spec.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 6:00 pm
The MCX8000 screens do not slow anything down at all. This will be similar info but on one screen instead of two.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 6:31 pm
That's what I'd expect, because they're not really second screens displaying your OS or an entire skin.

They have most of their graphics stored on a chip in the MCX8000, not being sent from the computer.

OTOH this Reloop Touch gets its graphics from the computer. The screen is literally a second screen to your OS, not really linked to the controller.

It's more like having a screenless controller and sticking an iPad with VDJ Remote behind the mixer. It shows you the GUI but isn't coupled to the controller.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 6:38 pm
USB screens (in general) don't use your GPU.
However they DO use your CPU.
In a nutshell, the USB Display Driver uses your CPU to encode the data that needs to be sent on the screen in some proprietary compressed format, sends the data through USB and the hardware on the screen decodes them and draws the image.

The CPU % needed depends on (USB) screen resolution and the amount of data that changes between each frame.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 7:14 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
the amount of data that changes between each frame

This is my concern.

VDJ 8 constantly redraws the entire skin at X frames per second, and users have complained about how inefficient or unneccessary this is, because only certain small parts of a skin (the moving or changing parts) really need to be redrawn.

If (with the Reloop) VDJ is constantly drawing two entire screens, how will the computer cope with this? How will the Reloop screen and the USB connection cope with this? Maybe there will be some latency or drawing refresh issues.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 7:37 pm
I thought the "experimental skin engine" was put in place to address this.... but that was several months ago and it still doesn't seem to have resolved anything.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 7:43 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you do have slow refresh problems even with experimentalSkinEngine enabled then feel free to open a new topic about it.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 8:15 pm
groovindj wrote :

This is my concern.

VDJ 8 constantly redraws the entire skin at X frames per second, and users have complained about how inefficient or unneccessary this is, because only certain small parts of a skin (the moving or changing parts) really need to be redrawn.

Actually only ONE user has commented/complained about that, not "many" :P

Anyway, stop thinking like that. It doesn't matter what VirtualDj draws:
The USB Display Driver compares the new frame with the old one and decides which part(s) it needs to compress/encode and send over USB.
So, even if you draw 90 full frames per second but they are all exactly the same, the amount of data that will be send is almost zero.

PS: The same teqnique more or less is used by applications like VNC and TeamViewer ;)

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 10:42 pm
Why not wait and see how it works, before we start worrying about this and that. If we actually start worrying about all the things that could happen to us, we would all be home on the couch, (OK, I do carry a large man bag full of emergency stuff, but shet happens). I understand it will be at a show over there this weekend, so we should learn a little more.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 17 @ 11:32 pm
Gotta admit, I am kinda bummed it's using the Display drivers as my USB screen MyCinq uses them and it's total garbage!!

There is no way I'd go this route if given a choice but yeah I'll wait and see how the reviews are......

Posted Thu 19 Oct 17 @ 5:40 am
camplgPRO InfinityMember since 2009

Posted Thu 19 Oct 17 @ 12:25 pm
Great ..now can someone translate this?...

Posted Thu 19 Oct 17 @ 6:16 pm
Have you tried turning on the subtitles? If nothing else, it'll give you a laugh!

Posted Thu 19 Oct 17 @ 6:48 pm
It just became available for order in the online stores here in Europe, so I ordered mine.
It should show up at my doorstep in the middle of November.
I guess I'll see then what it's like IRL :)  
(oh, and I guess that means that getting the NS6mk2 and the Roland controllers will have to wait for a while...)

Posted Fri 20 Oct 17 @ 2:35 am
what is the quality and build of the buttons and faders on this controller?

Posted Fri 20 Oct 17 @ 8:27 pm
17%