Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: HELP with usb soundcard PLEASE!!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,
I used a gigaport HD usb sound card with Virtual DJ 7 for years without issue. I had the 4 deck setup with decks 1&3 assigned to one of the stereo outputs and decks 2&4 assigned to another on the gigaport. So I was only using 4 of the 8 outputs. This was hooked into my mixer and I mixed old school with the mixer. Last weekend when I hooked up I was only getting sound from channel one on my mixer. Long story short, I bought a new soundcard hoping to solve my problem which was probably a waste...
Now I have a UDJ6 from ESI. It has a 4 channel output which I thought I could set up just like the gigaport since I only used 4 of the outputs on the gigaport. Now I am getting sound from all 4 decks except its mapping the sound from each deck to BOTH channels on my mixer. For example, load song in deck one, hit play, its sending deck ones signal to BOTH channels on my mixer. Same with deck 2. So I cannot actually mix on the mixer like I want to. When I'm in advanced configuration I've tried every combination I cold think of with no success. I am at a loss and have a wedding next weekend. When I setup the program the way I thought it would work, I do see sound going to the channel on the soundcard but I get no sound in Virtual DJ. This may be a problem with windows. I am running windows 7. I'd add some screenshots but don't see that option. I am desperate for help

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 1:55 am
In case anyone else ever encounters a similar problem I got it fixed. For both the gigaport hd & the UDJ6 by ESI: If you are using these usb soundcards to connect a computer to a mixer (or possibly a controller too) and are having problems separating the signal as I did, here's how I fixed it on Windows 7 64 bit machine. Once you install the ESI drivers, go to Control Panel/Sound setting. You will see several entries. Using UDJ6 as my example, there will be 4 entries. One each for each output 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 & another entry for the ASIO driver. This is where the problem was. I had that devise selected as "default". Your computers internal sound driver should be selected as default not any of the UDJ6 entries. Thats all it took, super simple but not at all obvious because I have no idea how the UDJ6 ended up being the default devise. On the advise of another post I also clicked on the UDJ6 sound card entry and clicked configure and changed the setup from Stereo speakers to Quadraphonic, not sure that did anything but I did both. Lastly, when in PCDJ 7.?, use advanced config, for each deck select the UDJ6 ASIO driver entry and select the output you want to use 1/2, 3/4, 5/6. Mine is now setup for decks 1&3 to go to my mixer channel 1 & decks 2&4 to go to my mixer channel 2. With this setup, I can play a song in deck 2. Cue a song in deck 1 & put an emergency/reserve song in deck 3 or 4. Works nicely without having to scrap my mixer and buy a controller and I can still use all the toys on the software. Hope this helps some old school DJ someday.

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 8:56 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Thanks for sharing this.

Indeed Windows (and Mac OSX as well) tend to use newly connected/detected Audio devices as default. Makes sense to do that though, meaning that if you connect an audio device to the computer, a "smart" OS should auto assign this as default, in order to use that with all the applications that use the OS default audio device to output sound (Internet Browser, Media Players etc).
In most of the cases, this should not affect VIrtualDJ, as you can use the WASAPI drivers and also enable the "Exclusive" mode from Settings. However, there are audio devices that don't offer all of their Channels and you are forced to use their ASIO driver, which in most of the cases, require the unit "free" in order to apply their settings (and separate/offer all channels).

We have seen this a lot, with all kind of controllers/audio devices and its one of the most common troubleshooting advises.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 17 @ 6:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)