Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Denon DJ MCX8000 and Virtual dj - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm looking at purchasing this controller as I can see it now works with virtual dj on terms of screens etc, but wondered whether you are able to browse your library from virtual dj on the screens in the same way as the numark screens do or can you only do this if you use Denon engine?
Thanks!

Posted Fri 29 Sep 17 @ 9:46 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Fri 29 Sep 17 @ 10:46 pm
I have been using the MCX8000 with VDJ for about 4 months now and it is 100% perfect. Best software & controller combo ever!

Same cannot be said for Engine 1.5 and standalone mode though. Denon have stated they are committed to the controller and it has not been forgotten. New firmware and support in Engine prime will happen sometime.

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 10:20 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Best software & controller combo ever!

1+

kradcliffe wrote :

Same cannot be said for Engine 1.5 and standalone mode though.

1++
Engine is a piece of s##t!.

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 10:41 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Same cannot be said for Engine 1.5 and standalone mode though.

What is your experience with Engine 1.5? I started playing with it a bit and I can't get it to do anything. Seems like any song gives me the error "File is not audio file." and it won't add them to the database.

I was hoping it might be possible to look at the database format and see if there's any way to convert cue points etc. from VDJ database.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 17 @ 12:24 am
Engine 1.5 is almost unusable.

It crashes constantly and it took me several days to build a working database. Not all my songs are in it because some of them cause it to crash during scanning. could be artwork, could be tag meta data but no-one really knows. You also need to make sure there are no 48k audio files as those won't be recognised.

Denon are *supposed* to be supporting the MCX8000 in a future version of Engine Prime but the statement was in January, so draw your own conclusions.

Great hardware but shockingly bad software support.

Usual corportate "we're committed" crap but nothing physical to back it up.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 17 @ 8:37 am
kradcliffe wrote :
some of them cause it to crash during scanning. could be artwork, could be tag meta data but no-one really knows. You also need to make sure there are no 48k audio files as those won't be recognised.

Sounds very similar to my experience with their previous library software (Denon DJ Music Manager). If it didn't like your file, it just rejected it. Some of my older stuff is in mono - because the original recording is mono - but that's an unknown concept for Denon's software. All tracks have to be stereo.

As you say, cover art could be an issue too. I stripped cover art from countless tracks just so the DB would accept them & my Denon hardware could play them.

Sounds like they haven't learned from past mistakes.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 17 @ 11:25 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Has this engine software improved at all for you guys?

I wouldn't be interested in running in standalone, except for backup purposes.

Posted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 1:17 pm
No. Still no update. That's a year since Paul Dakeyne promised it would be looked at.

Totally unacceptable and will damage Denon as a brand going forward. Lots of unhappy customers.

Posted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 2:30 pm

I've just been informed that they're streamlining Engine prime across platforms, and a decent update isn't far off, reassuring to know.

Posted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 3:07 pm
Define far off. In Denon terms it could be years..... When I chatted with Paul around July it was soon. All they ever do is make promises.

No guarantee of MCX8000 support in this update either.

Posted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 3:12 pm

He said "almost ready to release", so I can't see it being too far off.

Posted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 4:01 pm
Thanks for the info.

Denon make good hardware but the firmware & software support sucks.

No way they're going to compete with Pioneer in the longer term unless they get this sorted out ASAP.

Posted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 4:24 pm
bagpuss wrote :

He said "almost ready to release", so I can't see it being too far off.

Still hope for a Prime version with MCX support

Posted Thu 04 Jan 18 @ 11:15 am
DJ_Vet0PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Engine Prime MCX 8000 Beta is available.

I've tried it and so far it's good, but I still prefer using VDJ (been doing so for many many years).

But it's nice to have that second option now.

Posted Wed 21 Mar 18 @ 7:52 am
I just bought the MCX8000 and for some reason the sampler will play in my headphones but not over my speakers. Does anyone know what would cause this?

Posted Wed 28 Mar 18 @ 2:29 pm
Also, when I first hooked up my controller to my MCX8000, some how I was able to engage "Pitch 'n Time". Can someone tell me how to get in and out of "Pitch 'n Time"?

Posted Wed 28 Mar 18 @ 2:33 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
magicj25 wrote :
I just bought the MCX8000 and for some reason the sampler will play in my headphones but not over my speakers. Does anyone know what would cause this?

Sampler in Headphones : You can disable it by setting SamplerInHeadphones to No (from VDJ Settings->OPTIONS tab)

For sampler Ouptut on Master, make sure the SAMPLER VOL knob is not at minimum level position.
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/denon/mcx8000/layout/mixer.html (Nr. 16)

magicj25 wrote :
Also, when I first hooked up my controller to my MCX8000, some how I was able to engage "Pitch 'n Time". Can someone tell me how to get in and out of "Pitch 'n Time"?
Not sure i understand. There is no "Pitch N Time" in VirtualDJ.

Posted Wed 28 Mar 18 @ 2:38 pm
Awesome! Yes, I didn't see the Samplerheadphones option at first. You actually have to type it in. But now it works as I would like it to. Thanks for your help!

Also, I figured out the Pitch 'n Time feature too. If you hold "shift+sampler" on the MCX8000, that will put it in Pitch 'n Time mode.

Thanks again for your help!

Posted Wed 28 Mar 18 @ 5:04 pm
For some reason, now if I want to use the sampler, I have to hold down the touchpad to make the effect play over the main speakers. Before I used to be able to just push the button (not hold it in) and it would work. Does anyone have any ideas how to get it so that you can just hit the touch pad once and it works? Thanks for your help!

Posted Sun 20 May 18 @ 12:59 am
74%