Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Enhanced "automix_add_next" ability for Automix

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OldTomPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Using latest version of VDJ 8.2 -- on MacBook Pro platform
Recently saw discussion of the Play next custom button option and tried it. Like it very much.
Wonder if you could enhance that ability by allowing for selection of a song in the Automix que (far right on screen). By that, I mean we can already select a song off the browser while Automix is engaged. But, you can't address a song sitting in the Automix list itself.
Example: Current song playing is Could I have this Dance for the Rest of My Life by Anne Murray.
Next song cued up is Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seeger.
Then a dozen more songs listed below those two.
You can sense a need to keep things slow for the next song-- and you want to play Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers.
That song is sitting in your Automix cue as the 7th song on the list. You highlight the song, activate the " automix_add_next"option custom button -- and then ---that song moves up the line to "next" and disappears from the former 7th position.
I've done this manually many times. Just highlight the song and drag it upwards to the next position. But, if that song list is long, it means scrolling w-a-y down and dragging w-a-y up. If you twitch during the process-- you take a chance at double-tapping the selection, which now makes it play immediately. Only happened to me once but it did happen.
Also, as you are dragging the song upwards, a small red line shows the positioning, but it's a very small red line -- and sometimes if you are trying to make this correction in a hurry you drop the song above the current song playing instead of below it. This only happens to me when I make that snap decision with only a few seconds left before programmed transition.
If I could address songs in the current Automix list and make that "automix_add_next" option flip that selection straight to under the current song playing-- it would be ideal.

One last thing to developers -- You are doing a great job-- I've never had VDJ fail on me during a gig in the past three years.

Posted Mon 24 Jul 17 @ 12:11 pm
OldTomPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Probably bad form to reply to my own post, but I was compelled to make the effort after noticing that, in less than two weeks, the feature I addressed is now available in an early access build.
Either you guys are extremely fast, -- or I just lucked out and requested something that was already in the development stages.
Just want to thank those involved. Also wanted to let you know I broke my personal rule of never working a gig with an early access build this past Friday.
Curiosity was killing me and I went for it.
Worked like a champ!
Thanks!
FYI, this was a seniors gig (age, not education) -- where my thing is walking amidst the tables chatting with guests and gathering requests. I use Automix almost exclusively at these gigs because the seniors expect to hear the entire song, with no fancy beat mix work.
The benefit of the automix_add_next function are perfect in this situation.
At least three times at this past Friday gig I can recall calmly walking back to my rig from a table with a hot request, with barely seconds to go on current song, searching for that request and popping it in the "next" position with seconds to spare.

Posted Sun 06 Aug 17 @ 10:46 am
OldTom wrote :
Either you guys are extremely fast, -- or I just lucked out and requested something that was already in the development stages.

I don't think it was in the development stages
I think it's was more like the devs thinking "Oh, we just built this add-next thing, we know exactly how it works - this is a simply add-on to the code" - and then made it right away
So I think it's basically all on you :)

Posted Sun 06 Aug 17 @ 10:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)