Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Line level via USB input too low

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

FuchiKPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I am having an issue trying to pass thru a line input.

I plug my drum machine into the channel RCA input on my MC7000, set the switch to LINE level.

When listening via the hardware mixer (selector switch set to LINE on the LINE/PHONO-USB toggle) my listening volume is very good and reaches peak on the meter.

When I then switch across to USB, which should be passing the signal through the PC for effects are recording etc, my levels are right at the bottom on the meter.

I have checked the volume levels in windows volume control and they are set to 100.

Do you have any suggestions how to resolve this?

Ell ~_^

Posted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 7:07 am
Passing the sound to USB interface is PRE-Gain adjustment. This means that any adjustments you make on the gain for that channel, don't apply on the sound that travels through USB interface.
Therefore it seems that your drum machine is not feeding the input with a strong enough signal.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 11:15 am
Similar to what I thought.

Except:

Volcas are output to a behringer mx400 mini mixer then to the line in RCA

At identical gains on the mixer the volume is very different.

The best (ie loudest) I can get it, is to run the mixer in phono mode and 'cheat' the signal up to a louder level. This doesn't yield very nice sounding results.

Can also get something by boosting all the eqs, but this is also not ideal as I then cannot tweak the sound properly.

Hmm

Ell.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 12:09 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Can't you use the gain knob within vdj to boost the signal?

Posted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 1:25 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Since you are using an external drum machine (similar to Sampler), here is another workaround in case the Gain boosting doesnt work as expected (which it should)...
- Add a "samplerin" line in your Audio setup. It's not available as Input in the drop-down so you choose any of them and then manually edit the name. Should look like the samplerin line we used in the Roland DJ8080 http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/roland/dj808/setup.html Choose the Denon sound card and the appropriate channels (same as the ones you use for linein).
- Delete the Linein line which was using the same Input channels as the ones you are now using for the samplerin.
- Click to Apply.
- Assign a custom button on the skin as .. sampler_inputgain 2.0 (2.0=200% will double the input gain) You can try other larger/smaller values too, till u find the proper level. You could also add this action to the ONINIT key of the controller so that it gets triggered when the controller is connected.
- Make sure the Sampler Master Volume is at max.
Dont use the LINEIN buttons to route your Input to a Deck, the input is now routed though the Sampler Output.
Use the Sampler FX Pad page to apply effects.

I know its not the easiest way to do it, just a workaround if the Gain of the channel doesnt provide the expected result.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 8:21 pm
So I have done all the setup you suggested. Except it refuses to save the samplerin input setting. Keeps reverting to mic or line or whatever it was before I named it. Have applied and saved the profile to no avail.

is there a line gain setting? like there is for the sampler?

Posted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 11:49 pm
Should clarify that while I can see and use the gain in VDJ both on screen and via the MC7000, at a given gain it is significantly softer than playing direct through the line of the hardware. So much so that the signal is 'unusable' as a backing track because it is so much softer than all the tracks.

Posted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 3:06 am
Have you asked Denon about this?

Posted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 10:53 am
Try using something other than the drum machine and see if that provides you sufficient volume......

Posted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 2:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)