Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How to delete tags that don't exist

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Evening,

How can I clean up my tags? I have a lot of dead tags due to moving files to different folders etc. Really annoys me when I try to cue up and I get the red X of death.

Many Thanks

Jamie

Posted Sun 16 Jul 17 @ 7:53 pm
That's not dead tags, that's orphan entries in your VDJ database.

If you're going to move files, you need to do it from within VDJ, or the info in the database will not get updated.

Remove the missing files from the database (browser options menu) then rescan your folders to add the moved tracks back.

Posted Sun 16 Jul 17 @ 8:01 pm
It probably should be able to find the files if you move or rename them outside of VDJ though since doing busy work is one of the things a computer is good at. One fairly easy way to do it is to create shell link files for each file. Store the shell link file in a known place. You could store the shell link file name in VDJ DB but would probably be ok to just create the shell link name from the file name on the fly. You could try to open file just as you do now and if not found open the shell link file and it will track it down for you. You could just open the shell link file at first as well.

This is easy and straight forward but there are usually some gotchas with this sort of think. You would need a shell link file for all files VDJ is tracking. Do not know how well this would translate to MAC.

Posted Tue 18 Jul 17 @ 8:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)