Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Remix Points vs Hot Cues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Can someone please explain the difference between remix points and hot cues? To me it seems they're the same thing just saved in different banks. Is there really a significant difference? If there is I would like to understand it so I can start utilizing it.

Posted Thu 15 Jun 17 @ 12:38 am
sai01is wrote :
Can someone please explain the difference between remix points and hot cues? To me it seems they're the same thing just saved in different banks. Is there really a significant difference? If there is I would like to understand it so I can start utilizing it.

Remix points are like additional hot cues that acts a little different

Remix points are often generated by the software itself, based on track structure, so that they are ready for you when you start using the track
If they are not, and you add your own, the idea is that you can choose to add them on the fly while playing the track, and then use them right away to remix the track on the fly. You can of course also prepare them beforehand

The remix points engine goes out of it's way to make sure that your beat won't suffer when doing this, so that you always have a smoothly playing track even when jumping around in it using remix points. In that sense they are a bit like beefed up hot cues with smart cue enabled, if you choose to set those while playing the tracks (which I guess is not how most people use hot cues)

Does that make sense?

Here is a quick and dirty example where the two first remix points were create by VDJ automatically, and I set another two on the fly - and play with all 4 of them:

Here is the explanation from the manual:
http://virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj8/editors/poieditor/remixpoints/index.html

Posted Thu 15 Jun 17 @ 7:06 am
Thank you for taking the time to provide all that and the video. In the end, it still seems like hotcues to me. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the main differences between the two. Sorry if it's that easy and I'm not getting it.

Posted Thu 15 Jun 17 @ 10:07 pm
the only real difference is the analyzing process sets the remix point for you but you can edit them in the POI editor... this is my opinion anyways.

Posted Thu 15 Jun 17 @ 10:55 pm
Getting back to this one (based on a resent discussion)

Is there any more info somewhere than what is in the manual?

Like:
- How are they detected
- What causes them to get detected (more specifically)
- How are they alligned?

Because I can't figure out which tracks will have remix points in them before I see the results.
It seems to be very random

Also I find that they are often placed on the 2 or on the 3 instead of on the 1, so while I guess it's technically in time, it'll still mess up the dancing if you trigger them without knowing their timing

Having "automatically detected well labeled additional hot cues in interesting places in the track, that is safe to trigger, and always use smart play / plays in time" is really a great feature. But maybe we are not there yet?

Posted Wed 08 Nov 17 @ 5:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)