Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Copy music-library-(track)info to second system ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi

I'm planning on switching from Traktor to VDJ8. I will be buying the PRO infinity version.
I use 2 systems: one for preparation and one for only DJ (dedicated to DJ software + Windows 7 (with only the essential parts)). DJ laptop never goes on internet either.
If I buy VDJ8, I would do all preparations on one system (settings cue's, beatgrids, loops again because there is apparently no way to import Traktor track info into VDJ *bummer*). So I'll have to start from scratch again.
If all preparation is ready and I want to make the switch from Traktor to VD8 permanently, I would install a second VDJ8 on my second (DJ dedicated) system.

Can I copy the file-info (cue points, beatgrids, loops, ...) from my preparation laptop to my DJ laptop ? The music folders would be identical (containing the same music files) but root folder would differ (preparation laptop music folders are on my D-drive, DJ laptop music folders are on my C drive).

Pretty important for me to know, so if I switch to VDJ8 (and do all the needed preparation), I wouldn't have to do this (a lot of work) twice.

Thanks
Kristof

Posted Sat 27 May 17 @ 5:33 pm
It's not possible to transfer all your cue points, beat grids etc from Traktor to VDJ. Rekord buddy is a program which enables the user to do exactly what you are asking but it doesn't work with VDJ.

Posted Sat 27 May 17 @ 10:53 pm
I thought I'd comment again as I think I misunderstood your question. Yes you can transfer all the VDJ information for your cue points, beat grids etc from one computer to the other.

Posted Sun 28 May 17 @ 12:20 am
Kristof St wrote :
there is apparently no way to import Traktor track info into VDJ

Not directly, but it can (in theory) be done - as mentioned in my reply to your [URL=https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/217851/General_Discussion/Newcomer__.html]other thread[/quote]. Really, you should have continued there rather than start another one.

Virtual DJ stores info in the database, unlike Traktor which writes everything to the files. This makes it very easy to copy info from computer to computer - just copy the database. With different drive letters it makes things slightly trickier as you'd have to do some editing (VDJ stores the filepath in the database).

Posted Sun 28 May 17 @ 8:18 am
Thx Toppadon & Groovindj.

@Groovindj
RekordBuddy2 is no option (at this time) because the program is still not released in the Windows version. It still is 'coming soon' ...
But I will be buying VDJ8 (PRO Infinity) in a few days, so I can't sit and wait for RekordBuddy2 (windows) because 'coming soon' may still take a few weeks or even months (no release date have been set). Should it be released BEFORE I buy VDJ, I will use it.

When I buy VDJ8 i want to start editing my music library in VDJ8 and start using the software on my gigs as soon as possible (when all preparation work is done).

RekordBuddy2 seems to be the only way to transfer metadata from Traktor to VDJ (via a Serato work-around) but no Windows version yet, so the only alternative (right now) to make the switch from Traktor to VDJ is to set my cue points, beatgrids and loops again in VDJ.

Now, being aware of that, I wanted to know if all the work I will be putting in preparation (analyzing, setting cue's, beatgrid, loops) in VDJ, can be transferred from 1 system (preparation laptop) to another (DJ laptop) with 2 different music library hard-drive locations (preparation is D-drive (OneDrive), DJ is C-drive) so that's another topic :-)

And it would be a one-time event because from than on I will always be adding new tracks on the 2 systems separate.

Posted Sun 28 May 17 @ 2:08 pm
Can you not get a Mac from anywhere? Friend, family, neighbour, colleague?

Posted Sun 28 May 17 @ 2:43 pm
I could take that in consideration. But not a fan of buying software to install on someone else's system (and not be able to use it on my own (Windows) systems), only use it once and still having to work via a workaround (that doesn't give a 100% guarantee of succes for Traktor > VDJ).
Makes it pretty expensive software that way.
Should there have been an easy solution, it would have been good to know and save me time.
But if there's no practical and short way, I have to do it the long way.
Better to know now there is no direct solution than to find out there is a direct solution AFTER I put all the effort into it :-)

But still, that leaves the question on being able to copy VDJ track meta data from one system to another, when both library's are on different drives ...
(What would I have to do (adjust, edit a VDJ (ini?) file via notepad where the drive letter can be changed (from D to C) ?).
I've already made the folder names the same (OneDrive/MUZIEK DJ/MUZIEK) and did a relocate in Traktor, so at least the folders have the same name now, on the different systems. Only the drive-name's are different.

(I tried to make a second partition on the C drive (make an extra D partition, so I could put my music also on the D-drive) but my system (drive: SSD) only allows me to make the partition maximum 50 GB (and I need at least 70 GB), even when the C drive has 150 GB available. Even after defragment.
And making a Virtual Drive is also no option. The Virtual Drive disappears every time I restarted windows.)

Posted Sun 28 May 17 @ 6:56 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If the path is the same, you only need to copy database.xml without editing anything
For the c drive it is located in documents/virtualdj/database.xml
For the d drive it is located in d:/virtualdj/database. Xml

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 4:08 am
Thx Adion !

Posted Mon 29 May 17 @ 8:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)