Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Freezing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

anok4u2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Never had any issues with VDJ. But i have experienced 3 times lately, that the Music freezes while playing, similar to a 1/4 beat loop.
Heavy laptop with 16gb ram, win 10.

Posted Fri 26 May 17 @ 6:13 pm
Hi Anok, did you investigate what caused your freezing ?
What build ?
Me too had a freeze sounding like a loop, like 1/16th or so.

Posted Fri 23 Jun 17 @ 7:45 pm
ThelemaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Happens to me sometimes as well. Sometimes I think it's the controller disconnecting that causes that (tugging on the USB cord, etc), other times it seems as though it's a specific effect that's doing that.

Posted Thu 29 Jun 17 @ 3:21 am
The problem consists. It happens at every party, one or twice per gig.
The audience reacts very upset at this terrible sound.
I got to have this sorted out.
Turning all off certain and unuseful programs and wifi off didn't work.
Using a new disk with my music didn't do it also.
Someone knows how to find the cause with "windows event viewer" maybe?
grtz

Posted Sun 09 Jul 17 @ 8:47 pm
Thelema wrote :
Happens to me sometimes as well. Sometimes I think it's the controller disconnecting that causes that (tugging on the USB cord, etc), other times it seems as though it's a specific effect that's doing that.

I use a Denon controller mc-3000 locked in a sturdy case with soft rubber inlays.
Cables are no issues either.
The problem occurs at random without any certain acting of me on the controller, with audio or video.
I use win10 + 16 gig memory.

Posted Sun 09 Jul 17 @ 11:50 pm
If the sounds is a like a 'fast loop' it isn't VDJ crashing right ?
It could be more related to the audio driver. (My guess)
I also had this, described above but I was on internet at the same time, and there could have been something to do with this. I don't simply know.
My VDJ did not crash, but sure it was quite emberasing.

What build to do you have on VDJ ?

Posted Mon 10 Jul 17 @ 9:18 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Do you get the same freeze/stutter if you unplug the MC3000 from USB while a track is playing ?

Posted Mon 10 Jul 17 @ 10:35 am
MrJackson2014 wrote :
If the sounds is a like a 'fast loop' it isn't VDJ crashing right ?
What build to do you have on VDJ ?

VDJ doesn't crash, it freezes for some seconds.
When the problem starts i push the start/stop button...but it doesn't react.
Then it does, and i can get along.
It happens 1 or 2 times during a approx. 4 hour gig.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 17 @ 1:24 pm
anok4u2 wrote :
[quote=anok4u2][quote=anok4u2][quote=djdad]Do you get the same freeze/stutter if you unplug the MC3000 from USB while a track is playing ?

DJdad, My setup as a weddind-dj, workflow and playlist, is more or less always the same, steady and as follows, for several years now (without renewing notebooks though).
-Notebook (2016) with Intel I7-6700 - 16gig ram and Geforce gtx 960m
-Media on a external USB3-drive, kept alive with Softjock-my drive is spinning
-Alway latest VDJ
-Denon MC-3000
-Freestyler8 always on, Enttec-dmx-sequencing a ledspot, a scanner and a 3rtd lightfixture.
-Always using automix/automix editor during my gigs, changing dmx-lightsequences now and then or every song.
-70% use of videotracks, 30% audio.
-No use of FX, loops, sudden hotcues,...

Meanwhile figuring out the cause, i know the date when the problem started, i uninstalled yesterday, non important software that is installed since then.
Removed unneccesary startup software.
Remove and cleaned junk.
Tried new usb-drives.
Uninstalled win10-creatorsupdate, couple of weeks ago, which seemed to be installed in the same period when the problem started.

Other things yet to do, to isolate the problem.
Indeed... trying without mc-3000
Trying without freestyler.
Or maybe something notebook/software/hardware/win10 related....I do also edit contstanly weddingvideos on it....works very good though.

But....none the less...I started end 90's with Traktor-1....VDJ is the best thing ever happened to me, I play and control it all (video, audio, images, text, samples, great automix).
I think you have to promote certain things way better, like Freestyler8 vs Soundswitch. Freestyler8 is a while in use, it's free, works neat, without extra hardware....but the manual and explanation of it is very vague, hidden in the forum, difficult to understand for noobs. No of my native fellow DJ's know it or how to work with it.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 17 @ 2:08 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Well, you didnt answer my question. And of course didnt mean to try without the controller, but test at home and while a track is playing simply pull the USB plug out and see if it acts the same way you experienced during your gigs. If it does then it appears like a temporary disconnection, and first thing i would try would be to replace the USB cable with a new one.

One other thing to try is to make sure that the Denon sound card is not the default playback/recording device for your Operating system (Control panel->Sound panel - for Windows). There is a chance Windows tried to take over the sound card (to output a sound or something like that) and temporary lost connection with VDJ.
If you are using WASAPI, then its almost the same as having exclusiveAudioAccess setting to Yes, but i prefer the way described above, which also applies to ASIO drivers (even though the ASIO is probably not used from Windows, some drivers require the WASAPI to be "free" for the ASIO to work )

Posted Mon 10 Jul 17 @ 4:19 pm
djdad wrote :
Well, you didnt answer my question. And of course didnt mean to try without the controller, but test at home and while a track is playing simply pull the USB plug out and see if it acts the same way you experienced during your gigs. If it does then it appears like a temporary disconnection, and first thing i would try would be to replace the USB cable with a new one.

One other thing to try is to make sure that the Denon sound card is not the default playback/recording device for your Operating system (Control panel->Sound panel - for Windows). There is a chance Windows tried to take over the sound card (to output a sound or something like that) and temporary lost connection with VDJ.
If you are using WASAPI, then its almost the same as having exclusiveAudioAccess setting to Yes, but i prefer the way described above, which also applies to ASIO drivers (even though the ASIO is probably not used from Windows, some drivers require the WASAPI to be "free" for the ASIO to work )

-unplugged/plugged in the controller while playing....didn't hear anything.
-always use onboard soundcard outside vdj
thnx djdad

Posted Mon 10 Jul 17 @ 11:34 pm
Problem founded and solved.
Turned out to be a latency issue, from which i thought this is a problem on computers from 10 years ago.
Extreme peaks on a certain networkdriver.
When i disable my networkadapters.... the problem's gone....i can ride the beast again with no fear ;-)
Thanx all, grtz.

Posted Tue 11 Jul 17 @ 3:12 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)