Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: got me another controller, any tips, tricks or info on Pioneer DDJ SB2?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
anything to watch out for? weaknesses? known issues etc?

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 5:01 pm
Weaknesses? Quite a few, yes.

Don't hit it with a sledgehammer. Don't set fire to it. Don't immerse it in liquid. Don't tie it behind your car and drag it along the road.

Probably several others too. LOL!

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 5:08 pm
lmao.... theres always one! hahahah

luckily i dont think ill be swimming with my sledgehammer outside of the submarine i parked my car in this morning, when it was on fire.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 5:27 pm
I've not got an SB but I do have two Pioneer controllers - SX2 and RZ. Bought the SX2 first, was happy with it, so went for the RZ.

Neither unit has caused me any problems (famous last words!).

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 5:43 pm
as to be expected from pioneer equipment, especially controllers, theres not a great deal that can go wrong.

the only issues im having so far is figuring out all the buttons lol a couple of things that have sprung up so far are, on various knobs, and buttons (fx and volume controls) when using them, the correct action is actioned, but it is not visually changed in the software.

eg. headphone volume works inside the headphone, but does not show relevant position in gui.

also i cant figure out how to record samples with the factory mapping. which is somewhat annoying.
oh and my loops wont stick. i set a loop, let up play, touch the jogwheel to start a scratch and bam.... loop jumps to a different position.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 7:00 pm
Often on controllers, not every single knob or button has MIDI. It will be hardware only i.e. won't send any data to VDJ.

Just think of it this way - if you have a physical hardware control, you don't need the software one on screen. Really, anything you have on the the hardware doesn't need to be duplicated on the skin. The exceptions are pads (you need to see what's on them) and FX (to see what effect is loaded).

I don't think there's a dedicated button to record samples on any controller.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 7:08 pm
The fx one is an issue im going to have to resolve by remapping i think. I like to be able to scroll through the fx i have installed and select as necessary and load to button.

Or at minimum level if i have 3 fx buttons, the corresponding fx shows correctly on screen. Atm there is 3 fx assigned but only "filter" shows on screen which is causing me problems as i am glancing at the screen as usual to check my loaded fx and bam.... reverb or phazer .

When i had my mtp i spent a lot of time remapping it to work seamlessly with everything accessible via the controller. Looks like ill have to do the same with this.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 7:31 pm
I'd send it back and get the Denon MC4000, it's just a much better controller all the way around for a little more money.

Had an SB2 and set it back. It just felt cheap and probably wouldn't stand all the abuse I put things through......

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 8:27 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
I'd send it back and get the Denon MC4000, it's just a much better controller all the way around for a little more money.

Had an SB2 and set it back. It just felt cheap and probably wouldn't stand all the abuse I put things through......

ive never really been a denon man tbh, id like to agree with you on the cheap feel, but tbh i personally think all controllers ive looked at and tested in stores all feel the same. barr some of the high end kit which isnt exactly financially justifiable when its just for home use.

i bought the sb2 , used, for £112. so for that price im not going to complain really lol. i was considering the mixtrack platinum as i liked the look and feel of the controller and it was within budget, but i figure what the heck, the extra i save can be built back up for another controller later on and the sb2 will be enough to get me back into practice.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 8:41 pm
I bought the DDJ-SR and love the size and features for the club. However, they released a SZ2 making the SR the only one not upgraded to 2. I would be pissed if they upgraded right after the 30 day return, so I returned it and got the SB2. It works well for me, but I hate the mirrored thing. However, I hate power adapters even more, so it evened out for me. If they do upgrade the SR, I will get that and use the SB2 as a backup or replacement for the RMX2 which has worked as a work horse for me. I actually leave it at the health club that I work at every Thurs (No elevator to that level).

I've only had it about two months and got this deal for $259.00. I am still learning about it, (like what does the Pads Tran button do?) but so far so good. My mobile rig is a Denon MC6000 that I love, but the buttons don't love me, as I'm on my 3rd one. I'm trying to justify buying the Pioneer RZX, (It's not like I need that big ass controller, I just want it) but won't buy any controller that does not support VDJ.

Posted Thu 20 Apr 17 @ 10:45 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
I bought the DDJ-SR and love the size and features for the club. However, they released a SZ2 making the SR the only one not upgraded to 2. I would be pissed if they upgraded right after the 30 day return, so I returned it and got the SB2. It works well for me, but I hate the mirrored thing. However, I hate power adapters even more, so it evened out for me. If they do upgrade the SR, I will get that and use the SB2 as a backup or replacement for the RMX2 which has worked as a work horse for me. I actually leave it at the health club that I work at every Thurs (No elevator to that level).

I've only had it about two months and got this deal for $259.00. I am still learning about it, (like what does the Pads Tran button do?) but so far so good. My mobile rig is a Denon MC6000 that I love, but the buttons don't love me, as I'm on my 3rd one. I'm trying to justify buying the Pioneer RZX, (It's not like I need that big ass controller, I just want it) but won't buy any controller that does not support VDJ.

the pads trans gives a transformer scratch action to the deck. it works like this

set a scratch sample in a loop > hit play > hit pad trans button > hold pad 1 -2 -3 or 4 and move your jog wheel as you would when performing any scratch action.

do you remember the transformer scratch plugin we all spoke about /tested /used several years ago? i cant quite remember who written it but a lot of us downloaded it. well its basically the same principal.

ive been playing about with it and its actually pretty cool. i was holding the pad with my thumb and scratching with the rest of the fingers, this gave me a free hand to be working on another area.

another use ive found for it is to test new patterns with different samples. its much easier to work out the platter pattern with the trans pad activated and then action it manually with the fader once youve figured out if you should use 1 -2 -3 -or 4 click trans pattern for the fader.

ive not tried it out with added effects or filters yet, but its something i need to test also.

buttons is one of the reasons i went for a pioneer this time round, as much as i like the numark mixtrack series, i broke numerous buttons within the time i owned it. within the first year of owning the MTP numark provided me with 4 or 5 new sets of buttons. eventually i figured a way to reinforce them without losing functionality and i never had the problem again.

pioneer seem to be able to take a really heave hand and not be affected.

Posted Thu 20 Apr 17 @ 10:56 pm
Ok, that does it for me because the only thing I scratch is my b...........ack. Maybe I can map it to something else.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 17 @ 12:15 am
Ok, that does it for me because the only thing I scratch is my b...........ack. Maybe I can map it to something else.

map it as a shift button and create a set of drum pads with all 8 pads? you could map it to use 6 decks but keep deck 5 and 6 shifts to turn the entire side into an fx machine? or add more sample banks, video controls?

or you could map it to open google and buy some talc for your b....ack... lol

Posted Fri 21 Apr 17 @ 1:20 am
Thanks for that info, and especially the talc part, maybe a little Gold Bond (don't know if you have it over there).That gave me a good laugh.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 17 @ 4:18 am
Thanks for that info, and especially the talc part, maybe a little Gold Bond (don't know if you have it over there).That gave me a good laugh.

gold bond? is that the same as gorilla glue? lol

Posted Fri 21 Apr 17 @ 5:14 pm
No, we have Gold Blend (instant coffee). OK if you want your b........ to be brown.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 17 @ 5:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)