Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Screen and or music lagging behind

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djadam2PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hey guys, I have been using Virtual DJ for years, though I am definitely not a super pro at it. I am a mobile dj and I am having problems with song lag. I use an external hard drive, I have a Western Digital my book, 4 tb, it's not even half full and it's about a 3 months old, it is USB 3.0 and 7200rpm. I have an HP laptop that is about 3-4 years old, and I'm running windows 8. There is nothing on my laptop except the minimum to run it and Virtual DJ. Please note, I have not noticed this problem before my new hard drive and before updating to Virtual 8.
When there is a song playing, and I go to load a new song onto another deck, I run 4 deck mode, there is some lag time and the screen kinda freezes up for what seems like 1 to 5 seconds. Not always for a long period of time, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. But it is terrifying when it happens. When it does happen you can't change anything until it unfreezes. It does not affect the song that is playing, that still runs perfectly smooth and sounds normal.
I'm not sure if it matters at all, because it happens even when I'm not going thru my controller, but I use the Denon MC6000 as a controller.
Does anyone else experience this? Is there a fix for it? I use to have a seagate external hard drive, same size(4tb) and it was USB 3.0, I do not remember this happening. Is it a Virtual DJ thing I should be looking at or could it be the external hard drive?

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 2:39 pm
Have you set your USB selective suspending to "No" in the settings of your laptop?

Your hard drive might be sleeping and having to wake up, you can set it to stay on permanently.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 2:52 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Perhaps loadPriority option is set too high.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 3:02 pm
djadam2PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I have not set my USB selective suspending to "no". I am using the same laptop as I did in the past. What is that and what exactly does it do.

Can the hard drive go to sleep if I am playing a song on one deck, and searching for another song?

What is load priority? Is that in the actual settings on Virtual DJ? What is an ideal setting for the load priority?

Thanks for your help.
Adam

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 6:17 pm
the selective suspending is an option under power options in windows, yes the hard drive can and will go to sleep if that is not turned off. But will only do so after a period of inactivity. The load priority is in the settings. Worth changing both as a matter of course anyway

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 6:36 pm
Western Digital my book drives have a utility that come with them to adjust the amount of time before they sleep might want to have a look at that as well

I think the default for mine was 10 minutes

Posted Tue 18 Apr 17 @ 8:58 pm
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
i think id lag too if i had 2tb of info to read through a usb port lol. wd hard drives in my experience have always been a bit slow. theyve always been good drives (well apart from the caviar which was poo) but not the fastest in the race.

try a smaller hdd and see if you still have the same issue. if not then your machine doesnt like the drive too much.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 17 @ 12:21 am
When you load a mp3 to a deck, VDJ loads the entire song into ram and plays from there. Your problem appears that the drive is going to sleep. I have had it happen many times. Once you understand what is happening it is not as scary. Setting the USB to not disconnect in the USB power settings is not the same as keeping the drive active but should always be setup NOT to be allowed to turn off to save power. There have been many free utilities written to keep drives active

Posted Fri 21 Apr 17 @ 8:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)