Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Deezer Premium wont work offline with VDJ ? - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I felt the disrespect, and so did he. Do you have any idea what his market is? Using the words pathetic, boring , obsolete are disrespectful, when you don't even know this guy. He made one post, and this is the way you speak to him? This thread is not about who can cover your parties.

Either use you are or you're.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 7:14 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
"Either use you are or you're."
LOL..I have not got all day to mess around with grammar in just a forum (maybe disrespect again..but it's not).
You Yank's simplified the English language...and I'd add for the better.

Quote: Do you have any idea what his market is?
I've have no idea...club strikes me as being the only possibility?
He seems to be marketing himself to an extremely small section of the public
That's not wise for a UK mobile DJ.
Worse still is he offers his advice to the majority of DJ's who need vastly larger song libraries.
Sorry..but it's silly.
I'd bet you AMAHM have access to every song in the world?
I know I have more or less.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 7:25 pm
bigron1 wrote :

not got all day to mess around with grammar in just a forum

Changing the way you spell, based on where you are? No......I don't buy that. You either know the correct grammar or you don't.

Writing correctly is instinctive, like muscle memory - you just do it.

IMO deliberately doing it wrong would take more thought/effort, because you'd have to consciously alter your normal behaviour.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 7:40 pm
I wish writing correctly was instinctive however it's difficult.
English is a subject that one can spend a lifetime studying.

I envy your instinctive talents.
Mathematics was an area where I excelled as opposed to English.
I do my best.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 7:44 pm
Maybe I should've said "writing is instinctive". You learn the rules as a kid, and they become ingrained.

We're not youngsters. We learned at school when teachers were much stricter with kids about correct spelling & grammar. Nowadays I don't think they bother that much. It's more a case of "Oh let little Johnny spell it wrong as long as it's understandable" or "Well that's just how people write now".

I would love to discuss more on this subject, but anyway.....off topic.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 8:01 pm
bigron1 wrote :
"Either use you are or you're."
LOL..I have not got all day to mess around with grammar in just a forum (maybe disrespect again..but it's not).
You Yank's simplified the English language...and I'd add for the better.

But you did have the time to go back and not only correct it, but add to the post. I'm glad you mentioned your rig, because when you posted the picture, many of us were, let's just say surprised and held our thoughts. However, most of the comments were constructive. Even though some were harsh, you should have learned from that and treat others better. Besides, no one questioned your abilities, just the appearance of your setup. Your rig looked terrible to me, but people hired you. Maybe that is what they expect in the UK, how do I know since I don't live there? He does not live in the UK, and if people are hiring him with his 300 tracks, who are you to judge him?

And as you say, off topic. So let's get back to Deezer Premium.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 8:07 pm
Sorry, English is not my native language. I speak French and Dutch, it's even my 3th language. So I don't care about the grammar, I care about what's written.
Ron, I never wrote that a mobile DJ should have 300 records. I wrote I have 300 records. And I'm a vinyl-dj, I wrote a ;), so certainly I'm not a mobile dj and I never wanted to give them advice to get a 300 record-database. Sorry If my writing could be interpreted wrong.
Now, after 28 years, I'm even retired. And for the few party's I still play, I can charge more than 500 euro for coming with 3 bags of records and playing 90 minutes. And I still have to refuse more than 30 gigs a year, so no worry about me. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I still like every song I'm playing. And in those bags, there are no EDM-songs, so no, I don't play for people jumping on drugs.
I never gave advise that you should, as a mobile dj, have a database of 300 records. It was just an example how I did/do it. Those 300 maxi's are well selected, out of a database of 10000 maxi's. I choose every gig what I carry with me.It is heavy. I think, being a mobile dj, if you have 200GB HD, it should be enough. You can not have ever odd request a drunk wants. You are in charge of the music and the dancefloor.
What I want to point out: when I was 16, every penny I earned I used to buy vinyl. I had to listen and choose very carefully. Maybe now some dj's act more as jukeboxes. And than they are surprised that they are not booked any more. Even a wedding-dj can have his own style. Find a style, find music you stand for, out of a 15.000-, well prepared, database. Not out of a TB harddisk.
I play about 10 party's a year with VDJ or Djay Pro, all for free, for my friends, birthday parties, for the local youth organisation,.... And I manage to get everybody happy with my database of 15742 songs.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 8:47 pm
and now: back om topic!

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 8:50 pm
I also have a very limited database (I play always vinyl ;), and I now that the 300 songs I carry with me always work.

Just to remind you that what you said is not what's written above.
You appear to have changed your position.
Many of your points would mislead a young DJ starting out in his career.
Who controls the dance floor is an interesting topic.

Anyway now back on topic for the 4th time!

Posted Fri 07 Apr 17 @ 10:03 pm
I think there was something important missed here. The statement "Those 300 maxi's are well selected, out of a database of 10000 maxi's. I choose every gig what I carry with me.It is heavy. " -- is pretty critical. He is NOT saying that he brings out the same 300 records to every gig but that he brings out 300 "well selected" records to every gig. Tomorrow gig could presumably have a completely different set of 300. Correct?

Posted Sun 05 Nov 17 @ 4:38 pm
And now, back to the topic at hand, which is Deezer.

Posted Mon 06 Nov 17 @ 12:30 am
bigron1 wrote :
I often find that too slow when under pressure from the customer.
I use Amazonmp3.
It's hard to work whilst a pushy drunk is waving his mobile phone under your nose.
Maybe I should just plug the phone into my mixer?
We, that is DJ's, have been put at a disadvantage by the music industry. The average person with a mobile phone and Spotify now expects us to get every song in the world in seconds.
Oh..and the more stupid the customer the more swiftly they expect their desired song to be played.

The music industry is a mess.

I use amazon for music purchases and use a laptop to preview and purchase separately from main club computer - turn around time is minute, and any customer unwilling to wait that long or threaten to leave if their song isn't next then I will politely tell them they can take it up with the man who signs my paycheck and who says we follow this format and not the customers.

unlike club management I strive to treat every customer the same no matter how much money they walked in with to spend. the fratboy douchebag spending $200-$300, whose daddy is a lawyer and only comes to the club when on break from school is equally important to me as the regular who spends $10-$20 a night every night. the regular will be steady money and i'd rather fratboy went back to annoying his local bar that he constantly gets kicked out of. the regular keeps spending steady money and pays bills. so on the off chance I have to download and play fratboy's request, he can wait just like everyone else.

if you have a 'pushy drunk' waving a phone under your nose then you need to politely ask the venue's security, management, relatives, or friends (if any) to remove them before they become a problem.

plug phone in at own risk - we don't allow it.

we the dj's are also supposed to keep up with music trends, technology, and what out customers, clients, and management (even if that management is ourselves) are going to require us to do to keep the bills paid. and with the right internet connection you can indeed have their song purchased and downloaded in seconds.

and if you have stupid customers then learn how to deal with them. if you can't learn how to adapt - whether its to different music genre's or demographics - then you're going to be forever stuck in a niche market.

as for the industry being a mess. good. I love chaos.

Posted Mon 06 Nov 17 @ 3:34 am
I often get asked for songs that you cannot buy and then download. Some are CD only by post and others are on Youtube but not available at Amazonmp3, Sunfly or Deezer but can be seen on Youtube.

Posted Mon 06 Nov 17 @ 3:17 pm
and I have had plenty of those idiots who say "can't you just download it or play it off of youtube?"

I flat out tell them no, that is illegal and it's not going to happen anyway because the club pc playing music does not get plugged into the internet during club working hours.

if the dj doesn't learn how to say no to a customer effectively then they can look forward to being their doormat for the rest of their career.
"if you give a mouse a cookie...."

I grant that every case/venue/gig is different but what is the point of destroying a night with one horrific song to appease one person? that will get you a bad review/no-rehire just as fast as equipment malfunctions.

as far as deezer goes - if it's legal to use professionally in your country, and you like renting music instead of buying it, then by all means keep flushing that money their way.

Posted Mon 06 Nov 17 @ 4:17 pm
Deezer

Posted Mon 06 Nov 17 @ 7:32 pm
This thread is about Deezer.

Posted Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 3:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)