Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Accepted the updated VDJ offered last night 27th March 2017 - now it keeps crashing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Accepted the "There is an update" message last night 27th March 2017 and since then it just keeps crashing.

Macbook pro on El Capitan. I've just installed a new SSD so everything is a totally fresh install and macbook is only used for virtual DJ and itunes. It was running absolutely perfectly for my last two disco jobs. I'd spent about a week reimporting my music into itunes and organising everything (one of those things I've been meaning to do for years). Therefore it had never been running better.

Now as soon as I click a playlist from history or a playlist or even type anything into the search bar it just throws me out to the desktop. VDJ then starts again but blank and empty.

I tried (as suggested) to rename the settings.xml to settingsold.xml but it makes no difference.

Help! - Would 'Time Machine' roll back the update? Or should I just uninstall VDJ and put on the previous version. Should I clear the Virtual DJ folder in my documents and let it "recompile" itself from my itunes again?

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 4:09 pm
It's not surprising that VDJ gets upset, if you've messed around with your music library outside of VDJ.

VDJ has a database. If you need to do any library work (rename files, move files etc) then you need to do it either from within VDJ, or before you add the music to the VDJ library, otherwise VDJ won't know what's changed.

It's like if you always put your keys in a certain place, if someone else comes along and moves them, you're not going to know where they are unless that someone tells you first.

IMO you don't need to do everything in the iTunes library, then read iTunes via VDJ. Just use VDJ.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 4:54 pm
Thanks for your posting but think you've totally misunderstood me. This is a totally new fresh install - I've not modified anything.

New SSD drive, fresh OS, reimport all songs again (so I'm nice and organised) then installing VDJ.

Of course I know not to move stuff around outside of the VDJ environment and I would not and have not done that. I only mentioned itunes as that is what I used to get all my music back on initially. i'e bring everything back down from the cloud and for importing my CD's. After that I'm done with iTunes. (Of course I don't use it for playlists etc as that's what VDJ is for).

THEN as part of this fresh installation (New SSD etc) I installed VDJ 8.1 and everything was running perfectly exactly as it should do. It was running like a dream, lighting fast and DJ'ing successfully.

It was only when I agreed to run the update it offered last night that it now keeps crashing - nothing to do with playlists etc. I only mentioned playlists as it was by selecting a playlist, history or any other type of search that made it crash.

Atomix gave me the tip about renaming the settings.xml

Are you a mac user? Any other ideas. I'll probably reinstall the previous version but just concerned I'll lose my cue points so wondering if going back on 'time machine' would be the better idea.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 7:45 pm
EssenceDJs wrote :
think you've totally misunderstood me

Yes it seems I have got the wrong end of the stick. It's just a common issue with people who mess with their music collection outside of VDJ then wonder why they're having problems.

Are you sure you're running 8.1 not 8.2? I'd assume any updates would be to the newer version.

Yes, going back to the previous build would confirm whether it was the update that caused it - but it could be coincidental.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 8:01 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
It appears that there may be an issue with loading some Covers. We have provided a possible solution in the ticket you have raised. Please reply there with your feedback.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 12:07 pm
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I JUST DID THE LAST UPDATE AND NOW CRASH

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 2:47 pm
Had the same problem also on my macbook pto and renaming settings xml didnt work ..try making a copy of vdj folder. And put iton a flash drive or dvd or something(i say this because vdj reads ur desktop for music so i didnt want to put it there..). Uninstall vdj then reinstall vdj..it wont be the latest pre release but should get you stable again..thats what worked for me after reinstall open and see if vdj is stable again with the version u install..if so then u can start putting your back up copied folders back in *.e histoey playlists skins effects etc

And it happens pretty much on anything you select will Makes vdj crash instantly...its not a music file as someone suggested i upload but on search bar or any random folder you click on. And downloadin another copy with out uninstalling first will give the same problem
Good luck

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 6:51 pm
jbuk833PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I'm getting the same issue.

Booted up today after a week or two of not using, accepted the update and now as soon as I select a track virtual dj crashes.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 7:19 pm
djdad wrote :
It appears that there may be an issue with loading some Covers. We have provided a possible solution in the ticket you have raised. Please reply there with your feedback.

Hello djdad, would you mind sharing the solution here?

I'd rather that than have to bother your support guys creating a ticket if you're getting swamped with people contacting you about this?

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 7:21 pm
[edit - snip] -spoke to soon-

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 7:24 pm
filmguyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Same problem here. Haven't tried going backward as of yet, but was actually using with no problems before the message asked if I'd like to use the updated version. As soon as I replied "yes", **POOF**, started new window and closed the one I was using. After setting interface back to what I was using, (the new open window was the introductory generic) tried to access anything in local music or downloaded content, and again...regardless of left or right click of the mouse, new generic window then closed current use. Very frustrating.

Posted Sun 02 Apr 17 @ 5:40 pm
Are you all using Macs (some of you didn't specify)?

Everything's working fine for me on PC.

Posted Sun 02 Apr 17 @ 6:04 pm
yep, I'm using a Mac

Posted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 1:17 am
OK, I just discovered that the problem seems to be in the cover download process. When I went into the option list and shut off the covers, problem went away. At least that makes it usable until a solution is found.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 3:37 am

Posted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 4:26 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Also a friend of mine was having a similar issue. He updated VDJ on his Mac (I forget the OS) and VDJ just kept crashing. He is horrible with computers and had a bunch of old Netsearch tracks in there. I deleted all of those and problem solved for him. Just in case this helps anyone else.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 8:46 pm
Dev staff wrote :
A new Early Access Build is available at http://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html to install, which should resolve the Cover related issues.

Thank You !! so far so good . one question ..should i rename my old settings back since it is larger than the new one

EDIT: I put my old settings file back and all is well ..again thanks for the quick fix
I bought a back up lenovo over the weekend .but everything is on my mac lol haven't use pc in over 5 years now getting use to windows 10

Posted Tue 04 Apr 17 @ 1:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)