Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Active Xover

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I'm looking at expanding my rig, until now I relied on the xOver on my amps and the passives on my subs,
The sw limiter and my own rig knowledge has kept my cones intact upto now but I'm letting inexperienced djs use my rig so I think it best that I get some idiot proofing.

I've read dbx is the mutt's nuts, is this the case?, any recommendations? Currently rocking 8K over 4 amps, but looking for the most versatility as a gig can be a couple of hundred watts to 8K, but most importantly it needs to have cone protection.

Posted Mon 27 Mar 17 @ 8:50 pm
Wow that's lots of power. What kind of audience do you play for? Sounds like you bring lots of amplification equipment to your gigs or is it at a club that's already in place?

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 8:29 pm
locodog wrote :
I'm looking at expanding my rig, until now I relied on the xOver on my amps and the passives on my subs,
The sw limiter and my own rig knowledge has kept my cones intact upto now but I'm letting inexperienced djs use my rig so I think it best that I get some idiot proofing.

I've read dbx is the mutt's nuts, is this the case?, any recommendations? Currently rocking 8K over 4 amps, but looking for the most versatility as a gig can be a couple of hundred watts to 8K, but most importantly it needs to have cone protection.

a driverack will serve your purpose, there are also such devices from behringer and other companies.
http://dbxpro.com/en-US/product_families/driverack

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 9:18 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Also worth having a look at products by BSS and XTA. I use a BSS Soundweb for my setup, but it was a gift!

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 10:45 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I've got the device below which I used to defend a karaoke rig.
It was ok, although a little brutal (settings?).
I dont use it now..I'd sooner manually adjust the singers settings.
There cheap.

Behringer MDX2200 Composer Pro Compressor/Limiter
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMDX2200

I don't think you need an active crossover since Peavey incorporate passive crossovers in their speakers and amps but I do have a separate Behringer unit. The up to date Behringer stuff probably serves both purposes.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 12:16 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Thanks for the leads,
My rig is a mash up of sorts and I'm always on the look out for a deal,

The desire for a active xover is just that I've such a mix it'll be fun to poke & prod at the rig,

I might go with a cheapy beringeer for my house party rentals, the dbx PA driverack looks like the just the job for in the field (literally)

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 3:06 am
I use the dBx rack PA2+ in one of my rigs and it has proven to be a competent "all inclusive" unit with lots of features.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 7:00 am
ClayDJPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I have used the Behringer and DBX units. Both work great.
I have also used the Technical Pro X03. It is a triamp x-over that also has a separate mono sub output. In effect it is a quad amp unit. For a lower price unit it's a solid working x-over especially with the low end adjustment possibilities.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 5:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)