Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: still stuck in the VDJ 7 timewarp ....is it time for 8 ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i know...i know..... you are probably all going to ridicule me for staying with VDJ7

i decided to live by the philosophy of " if it aint broke dont fix it" when VDJ8 came out.
now, part of me says, i should crawl out from under this rock , i know it would probably be better in the long run.

so, my questions..

the way i work on VDJ7 i have become heavily reliant on the video plugins like essential media, and essential visuals,
essential media, to play looped backup visuals whenever my song is 'audio-only' , and essential visuals for displaying PNG files with logos and stuff, and also i use scrolling text to display things like happy birthday or the current specials at the bar.
what is the equivalent to this in VDJ8 now? all i know is it was changed somehow when VDJ8 first came out (which is why i didnt switch)

also, is there something way better now in VDJ8 that could up my game a bit in this type of use?

thanks in advance :-)

Posted Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 11:14 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I love the VDJ8 sampler!
Mine is now controlled by a Traktor F1 (big buttons, faders & knobs!).
I have pages of video/audio samples..birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, visual audio/video shout outs etc.
All nicely organized.
The VDJ7 sampler is a toy.

I suspect everything else has an equivalent.

Posted Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 11:29 pm
Matty1000 wrote :
i know...i know..... you are probably all going to ridicule me for staying with VDJ7

i decided to live by the philosophy of " if it aint broke dont fix it" when VDJ8 came out.
now, part of me says, i should crawl out from under this rock , i know it would probably be better in the long run.

so, my questions..

the way i work on VDJ7 i have become heavily reliant on the video plugins like essential media, and essential visuals,
essential media, to play looped backup visuals whenever my song is 'audio-only' , and essential visuals for displaying PNG files with logos and stuff, and also i use scrolling text to display things like happy birthday or the current specials at the bar.
what is the equivalent to this in VDJ8 now? all i know is it was changed somehow when VDJ8 first came out (which is why i didnt switch)

also, is there something way better now in VDJ8 that could up my game a bit in this type of use?

thanks in advance :-)

Yes sir those plugins still work with VDJ 8 as Audio only visuals.

I'd say at least test it at home on your system for a few weeks to make sure your familiar with its in and outs.

8 has vastly been improved since its release.

I for one could never go back to 7, it's night and day.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 1:37 am
instead of Essential visuals and media I switched to TellyVisuals and TellyMedia (both available in 8's add-ons also) and they both do more than Essentials (extra goodies available for donation too but the regular works just fine for what you're describing. I use both non-stop every night with 8.2 and there's no other club around here that can keep up now.
the sound difference alone is reason enough to switch to 8.2

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 9:18 am
yeah, i have tried it out now and telly media certainly is better

and the superior sound is something i have been wanting to have access to for a long time...thing is it crashed on me the first time i ever tried it back in (2015 or something)...again 6 months later the next time i tried....and low and behold, once again last night after about 2 hours use.

perhaps i need to delete old video plugins or something to make it stable.
im hoping last nights crash was not a forshadow of things to come during live gigs....im going to have to do a lot of home testing.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 7:13 pm
Matty, all you have to do is report an issue to me if you have one and I will look into it. It takes both you and me sometimes to find the cause.

I assume you are using TM 1.97 ? I have no other information from you other than you had some problem.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 8:22 pm
one other thing to keep in mind Matty is that not all of the 7 plugins work with 8.2. and if you have BOTH versions of the countdown plugin installed? not sure if it's been fixed since I switched to the newer one and have that one only installed but they don't even like to be on the same computer for some reason (or that's what it seems like anyway)
but you can make a folder to keep plugins separate from each other during play and try to make sure you don't have them enabled accidentally.

this goes for both the video and audio plugins

if the crash with 8.2 is consistent (and make sure you have the current public build b3573) then finding the cause as to why it's happening can be helpful both to yourself and others

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 8:47 pm
I know it's possible to have both versions installed but it's not totally clean that way. For quite a while now I only have had version 8 installed (with relevant plugins) and it's rock solid.

Might be worth trying 8 on its own on a spare machine if possible to see if you still get the crashes as it could be a conflict of some sort.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 9:18 pm
Don Moir wrote :
Matty, all you have to do is report an issue to me if you have one and I will look into it. It takes both you and me sometimes to find the cause.

I assume you are using TM 1.97 ? I have no other information from you other than you had some problem.

hi don

EDIT: it was v1.46 i have updated now to v1.97

what information do you need in a report? and where do i get it? id be happy to send you any info. all i know is it hangs. im not tech savy enough to be able to say any more about it.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 10:04 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
one other thing to keep in mind Matty is that not all of the 7 plugins work with 8.2. and if you have BOTH versions of the countdown plugin installed? not sure if it's been fixed since I switched to the newer one and have that one only installed but they don't even like to be on the same computer for some reason (or that's what it seems like anyway)
but you can make a folder to keep plugins separate from each other during play and try to make sure you don't have them enabled accidentally.

this goes for both the video and audio plugins

if the crash with 8.2 is consistent (and make sure you have the current public build b3573) then finding the cause as to why it's happening can be helpful both to yourself and others

i went into the C/ My Documents / Virtual DJ / PLugns/ video plugins folder, moved everything into a folder called version 7. this is what it looks like now. i do think i had mixed these plugins at the time when it crashed., so that may be a factor.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 10:27 pm
Matty1000 wrote :
hi don

EDIT: it was v1.46 i have updated now to v1.97

what information do you need in a report? and where do i get it? id be happy to send you any info. all i know is it hangs. im not tech savy enough to be able to say any more about it.

There was some growing pains moving to VDJ8. Everyone had them including VDJ8. There are still crazy things like the way VDJ8 handles audio only visualizations with the interface etc. I had tried to resolve it so it would make some degree of sense but it was a worthless effort. Most plugins have very limited interfaces but that is not the case with TV and TM. They save a lot of data and tracking the interfaces became a problem because of the way VDJ8 handles it. So I resolved it by having one single interface per named dll. Each different named DLL for TM and TV are separate interfaces. But if a same named TM is loaded on a deck and the master say, there is just one interface for TM or TV. There can actually be more than one interface in this case and that is the way most other plugins do it but it does not make much sense and is a source of confusion... Just trying to explain it is a source of confusion lol.

Matty1000 wrote :
..all i know is it hangs. .

All you know is you had some problem with TM 1.46. It has changed quit a bit since then. So we need to start from TM 1.97. I have not heard of any crashing problem with it.

I just need people to stay with it and I am more than happy to address any problem you might have. I like the feed back and like to know about your experiences. I am easy so just email me any time if you have a problem.

donmoir@comcast.net

PS: I don't think it is a good idea to have any VDJ7 plugin referenced off of any VDJ8 folder. Some are ok but some are not and just being in the list can be a problem. TM and TV run in both VDJ7 and VDJ8 using the same TM DLL or TV DLL so they know what to do when they are invoked by 7 or 8.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 11:21 pm
Don Moir wrote :

There was some growing pains moving to VDJ8. Everyone had them including VDJ8. There are still crazy things like the way VDJ8 handles audio only visualizations with the interface etc. I had tried to resolve it so it would make some degree of sense but it was a worthless effort. Most plugins have very limited interfaces but that is not the case with TV and TM. They save a lot of data and tracking the interfaces became a problem because of the way VDJ8 handles it. So I resolved it by having one single interface per named dll. Each different named DLL for TM and TV are separate interfaces. But if a same named TM is loaded on a deck and the master say, there is just one interface for TM or TV. There can actually be more than one interface in this case and that is the way most other plugins do it but it does not make much sense and is a source of confusion... Just trying to explain it is a source of confusion lol.

it is confusing....what is the difference between 'master effects' and 'visualizations' anyways?

Don Moir wrote :

PS: I don't think it is a good idea to have any VDJ7 plugin referenced off of any VDJ8 folder. Some are ok but some are not and just being in the list can be a problem. TM and TV run in both VDJ7 and VDJ8 using the same TM DLL or TV DLL so they know what to do when they are invoked by 7 or 8.

is there a way i can get VDJ not to look in the folder where the old effects are stored, thereby eliminating them from the list?

EDIT: as a test I have moved them to a different folder now so that they cannot be in the list.

Posted Sat 25 Feb 17 @ 2:59 am
PS: im going to do an event tonight, and im gonna see how i get on with VDJ8 (because i will have another 2 performers with me with me who can take over if 8 throws a wobbler)

Ill report back :-)

Posted Sat 25 Feb 17 @ 2:31 pm
Visualizations are run automatically when there is no video playing. When they are run as an effect then you have manual control. Beware though, don't run the same effect as a visualization and as a manual effect at the same time because there will be weirdness if you do as the visualization will be moved around from deck to deck to master which they still need to fix because it is a source of confusion. When you run an effect as a visualization you give control of it's activation over to VDJ.

Some VDJ7 video effects have been quarantined by Atomix and I think you can do this as well. You could gradually move and test each one when you place them in the VDJ8 folders.

Posted Sat 25 Feb 17 @ 2:49 pm
Don Moir wrote :
Visualizations are run automatically when there is no video playing. When they are run as an effect then you have manual control. Beware though, don't run the same effect as a visualization and as a manual effect at the same time because there will be weirdness if you do as the visualization will be moved around from deck to deck to master which they still need to fix because it is a source of confusion. When you run an effect as a visualization you give control of it's activation over to VDJ.

Some VDJ7 video effects have been quarantined by Atomix and I think you can do this as well. You could gradually move and test each one when you place them in the VDJ8 folders.

hmm...im still confused now.

so, lets say i want to use tellymedia as the 'automatic play when the audio has no video' effect. or as they put int in the menu 'videoAudioOnlyVisualisation'
I will choose this in the Options menu / video section
this will play automatically whenever i have audio but no video.

now, if i want to manually turn on and off , lets say, the Telly visuals effect (containing logos), at different times in the night. then do i choose tellyvisuals from the 'master effects' menu? or the visualisations menu? and what is the difference?

still trying to understand why there are two menus to choose from when manually triggering an effect

Posted Sat 25 Feb 17 @ 5:37 pm
maybe this will help

audioonlyvisualization effects both decks but only if no video is played

master effects both decks when active

deck fx effects only 1 deck when active

Posted Sat 25 Feb 17 @ 6:39 pm
You would choose TellyVisuals from the master effect video and not the visualization menu. If TellyMediaV is selected as the audioOnlyVisualization then it is on auto pilot. The reason there is TellyMedia.dll and TellyMediaV.dll is because of a couple things. One is to make a distinction and another is it runs on both VDJ7 and VDJ8. There is no visualizations folder for VDJ7. If you don't add something to the visualizations folder for VDJ8 then it will not appear as a selection for a visualization. Frankly they made a mess of it.

Posted Sat 25 Feb 17 @ 7:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)