Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Use Pitch Bend to change Pitch like on a Midi keyboard?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Dear VDJ-community,
I have a Numark NV II and the Pitch Bend buttons allow me to speed up or slow down the song. I have Master Key switched on to use the Pitch Faders to adjust the bpm without changing the pitch. What I would like to do is to use those pitch bend buttons in build ups to change the pitch smoothly up. I want to loop a shout vocal fragment and pitch it up without changing the speed.
Is there a way to do that with a special mapping?

Thank you very much.

Bruno

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 11:45 am
what do you mean by "pitch it up without changing speed" are we referring to KEY ?

If you increase the pitch then you are speeding up the track. I am guessing that you want to loop and then have the loop increase in key. In which case, Locodog has a plugin called "keyloopup" which does exactly that.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 11:52 am
Without special mapping, no...

Since you want to retain the current tempo then you actually need to modify the track's key.
The command itself is very simple: "key_move +1" for pitch up or "key_move -1" for pitch down.

You can remap the pitch buttons on your controller with the above commands, but the result won't be exactly what you want due to the following limitations:
1) Key_move action will be executed only once per button press. In other words if you hold the button down the key won't keep changing
2) When you release the button the key will remain to the changed value.

Therefore you have to use a more complex command like this:

PITCH_BEND_MINUS:
down ? repeat_start_instant 'KeyMoveDown' 100ms & key_smooth -0.05 : repeat_stop 'KeyMoveDown' & key 0

PITCH_BEND_PLUS:
down ? repeat_start_instant 'KeyMoveUp' 100ms & key_smooth +0.05 : repeat_stop 'KeyMoveUp' & key 0

This will be be much closer to what you want, but still not perfect as the key will increase/decrease in steps every 100ms

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 11:55 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Why not use key_smooth instead?

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 12:06 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Loco, isn't that exactly what your keyloopUp and - down effect is doing?

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 12:36 pm
locodog wrote :
Why not use key_smooth instead?

Sorry, my bad. For the moment I though key_smooth does not support relative values. Original reply modified!

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 12:43 pm
PachN wrote :
Loco, isn't that exactly what your keyloopUp and - down effect is doing?

Loco's effects will alter the key (up or down) every time a loop repeats. So yes, it could be what user wants, or it could be not, if he wants to alter the key smoothly.
Loco's effects alter the key in steps (one step per loop)

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 12:47 pm
Thank you for your responses!

Yes I want to change the key but not step by step (this is my solution for buildups right now but not satisfying enough). I will try this plugin but a solution without anything automated would be great!

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 1:18 pm
And it would be great if I release the button, it changes back to the original key.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 1:22 pm
I have tried the more complicated mapping, but the it's not smooth enough and it's not endless... after a short time it remains the same high key...probably +12
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Without special mapping, no...

Since you want to retain the current tempo then you actually need to modify the track's key.
The command itself is very simple: "key_move +1" for pitch up or "key_move -1" for pitch down.

You can remap the pitch buttons on your controller with the above commands, but the result won't be exactly what you want due to the following limitations:
1) Key_move action will be executed only once per button press. In other words if you hold the button down the key won't keep changing
2) When you release the button the key will remain to the changed value.

Therefore you have to use a more complex command like this:

PITCH_BEND_MINUS:
down ? repeat_start_instant 'KeyMoveDown' 100ms & key_smooth -0.05 : repeat_stop 'KeyMoveDown' & key 0

PITCH_BEND_PLUS:
down ? repeat_start_instant 'KeyMoveUp' 100ms & key_smooth +0.05 : repeat_stop 'KeyMoveUp' & key 0

This will be be much closer to what you want, but still not perfect as the key will increase/decrease in steps every 100ms

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 1:25 pm
I have altered to 50ms and 0,1 up...is it possible to change the key-range?

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 1:33 pm
AFAIK VirtualDj can go only one octave up/down with standard commands.
To go further than this you need even more complicated mapping

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 2:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)