Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem with Sound Quality in Latest Builds 3523 & 3568-3573 !!! Please Help ... - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

OK, will set everything up and do this now since the wife has gone to bed :)

Will use b3286 (8.2 release June last year) vs b3471 which I currently have installed and see what happens.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 17 @ 10:31 pm
Can't manage to do this, neither of my laptops have audio in on the jack.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 17 @ 10:53 pm
I had to change my zerodb setting to -6 couple of weeks ago. It had been at -3 for the 4 months or so prior, but limiter started going into the red on the controller. I have no idea why, and didnt really look into it. Makes no real odds to me because i just increased the gain on the mixer to compensate, but if i was going straight into speakers then i guess it would be different.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 17 @ 12:21 am
Hi, I deleted the xml file, the problem remained with the waveform and the CPU.
Also, for some reason the limiter kicked. I close and re-open virtualdj and the limiter was OK, but from that point on, the sound was not good even with that old summer version!

But because of this, I might notice something: Could it be that virtualdj force audio to reach the CD headroom, and that makes the sound "bad", because all the freqs are scissored on the fly?

Anyway, right now, I decided on my laptops (not the venues one ofcourse) to unistall the program totally including all the registry settings etc, and then install a summer build like it was a first time. How I can do this? Do you have a freeware software to suggest me? I wish to delete everything, but not to format my laptop.

Meanwhile, I would like an official solution. I don't care if it is a time machine that will go back in time my laptop or a fix, but all I want is a virtualdj version that works 100% with my hardware and never - ever update again.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 17 @ 12:22 am
1) VirtualDj does NOT use registry settings. It uses only one single entry in windows registry and that's the path to it's home folder (Documents\VirtualDj)
2) The best way to uninstall / install the software is to simple rename the Documents\VirtualDj folder and reinstall.

3) If you can't reproduce the issue on the digital domain or if "summer" and current build play the same now then most likely it's a drivers issue.
Of course Adion would know better than me so please provide him your recordings.

However, what sound interface do you use ?
Do you use ASIO or WASAPI ?
Have you done any driver updates for your sound interface ?
What OS do you use ? Win10 ? / Win8.1 ? Win7 ?
Do you have auto-updates enabled ?

Posted Tue 24 Jan 17 @ 7:20 am
OK guys, managed to dig out my old Creative external sound card and create the files for comparison. there are 4 audio clips in the folder as follows:

b3286 current settings.xml
b3286 new settings.xml
b3573 current settings.xml
b3573 new settings.xml

They were recorded in Audacity from the MC6000 master output in external mixer mode with WASAPI drivers.

The outcome is that they all sound the same. There is only a slight volume difference between the current and new settings as the current settings have the zeroDB set at -3.

See what you think and let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26xp6zmt3jdcqtr/VDJ%20comparison.zip?dl=0

Posted Tue 24 Jan 17 @ 12:43 pm
Hi Pantom,
ok I'll unistall that way then.

Regarding your questions:

My history:
1) I Used 3390 build during September, no problem.
2) Update (don't know the build) during mid November. Audio problem appearead, I didn't give attention
3) Mid December and 3 gigs later, the owner of the venue told me about the sound. I roll back to 3390 because I remember the date I have upgraded before mid November.
4) Audio fixed, but I had 2 issues: CPU overload and waveforms not correct
5) Deleted the XML file few days ago: Audio broken again / CPU overload and waveforms remained problematic. Re-installing 3390 didn't fix the audio.
6) I noticed something that happened to me again with some 8.1 builds: When I boot on windows and I connect the RMX2 and then load virtualdj for the first time, the virtualdj limiter kicks. I have to close and re-open virtualdj and then there is no indication of virtualdj for limiter problems.

- BUT - on my last gig after I did that, I notice by ear, that the sound was like it was over amplified (beyond "reds"). And lowering the volume from the master, of the RMX2 didn't do something. It was like a second amplifier lowering an audio that came from an over amplified source.
I have always set the limiter on virtuadj to -3db

I haven't update any drivers on that laptop (neither mines actually). The only updates that took place the last months, are the microsoft ones regarding windows 10.

About your questions:

However, what sound interface do you use ?
- The venue use Hercules RMX2 (I also have one)

Do you use ASIO or WASAPI ?
- Asio

Have you done any driver updates for your sound interface ?
- I updated on the Latest drivers last spring. Don't have any later drivers.

What OS do you use ? Win10 ? / Win8.1 ? Win7 ?
- Windows 10

Do you have auto-updates enabled ?
- On windows 10 all possible disables have be done.
- Also there is no internet access on that laptop (de-activated wifi)

The venue I work use the XLR outputs of the RMX2 (if that helps).

Sorry but I don't have a way to capture the audio of the venue so to supply you with an audio sample. And sorry, but no, I wouldn't even dare to do a recording using that build in function virtualdj offers, while doing a gig! It's not a bedroom party, it's a gig with 200 people. I do have video segments of that gig streamed from a cellphone if you are interest, but that just shows people dancing and the audio is from the mic of the smartphone! I don't think you can understand something by link you to this!

Anyway, what I wish to do is to go back to early September and remain there for an eternity! My boss (and me personally) were totally satisfied back then with both the hardware we use and the sound we had from virtualdj!

PS: Reproducing the issue with my hardware is possible, but the point is not me right now, is the venue...

Posted Tue 24 Jan 17 @ 3:09 pm
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008

Posted Tue 24 Jan 17 @ 4:16 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Since the problem occurs with both old and new build, and not at home, but at your venue, that would suggest the problem is either hardware or settings.

If you see the limiter led lighting a lot, then that may be something.
-is AutoGain set to auto?
-check the gain knobs on the screen. Perhaps the hardware knobs are defective/dirty and send values causing the gain to be set too high in the software instead of the center position the hardware is set to.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 4:35 am
Adion wrote :
Since the problem occurs with both old and new build, and not at home, but at your venue, that would suggest the problem is either hardware or settings.

If you see the limiter led lighting a lot, then that may be something.
-is AutoGain set to auto?
-check the gain knobs on the screen. Perhaps the hardware knobs are defective/dirty and send values causing the gain to be set too high in the software instead of the center position the hardware is set to.

Hello Adion,

I would like to thank you for the time and attention that you're giving us, in return, we would like to help out with our observations so your team can be able to improve Virtual DJ and Fix it's problems.

You have to understand that the problem isn't with our settings, the drivers, our equipment (audio interfaces), the Clubs Gear or with Windows.

The problem is with the 3 or 4 latest builds that has effected negatively the Sound Quality.

As I mentioned in my 1st post, I used 3 different audio interfaces, with both windows 7 & 10, in all possible combinations.
I play at 3 different clubs for a long period of time.
In each case the Highs and the Mid Ranges are annoyingly Screaming.

At Spring Season Virtual DJs Sound was Fantastically Amazing, it's not anymore.

This Afternoon, I have the spare time to record what you have asked me and I'll send it to you guys tomorrow.
(Although the Older Builds are not working properly anymore)

None of these problems occurred before, they all appeared in the last few months.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 1:30 pm
We do understand, but "older builds don't work properly anymore" means that your issue is NOT VirtualDj.
If you install an old build (that used to work perfectly), kill settings.xml (so that the old build uses the default settings of it's era) and you still have an issue then it's NOT VirtualDj to blame.
The path between a media file stored on your hard drive and your ear consists of several elements.
VirtualDj reads digital data, processes them and feeds them to your soundcard drivers.

What happens next, has nothing to do with VirtualDj itself. If VirtualDj sends "the same data" but the audio is different then there are a lot of other things that needs to be checked.
We are trying to see if VirtualDj sends different data between now & then.
Doing a recording on the digital domain is the best way to tell if the sound engine behaves differently.
Doing a recording on the analog domain (as soon as the recording on the digital domain reveals that there are no changes) is the best way to tell if there's something's wrong either with VirtualDj talking to the sound card drivers, or the rest audio path (drivers, data cables, sound interface, audio cables, blah blah blah)

From our perspective nothing has changed that could affect sound quality. However we are willing to investigate further.

From my own perspective (that I use VirtualDj at least 2 times a week on a big club with a very decent sound system and haven't noticed any difference) it seems that there's something outside VirtualDj that has changed and affected your systems. No member of the Team ever noticed something like this. No member of the Beta Team noticed something like this. Out of thousand people that use VirtualDj regularly on their gigs only 5 people have this issue without being able to reproduce it "at will". Therefore personally I would start seeking what's common between these 5 users.

We are here to help, but in order to find out what's wrong we need you also to collaborate. We need the recordings to be able to compare and we need you to make some tests. We also need as much info as possible from you.
Even if VirtualDj talks "dirty" under some occasions to your sound interface (and the blame goes to VirtualDj) we need to find out which are these occasions. Which obviously is not easy if only 5 people have this issue and none of them can provide any information other than "it used to work perfect, now it doesn't, fix it"

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 2:40 pm
wow people chill! I'm here to solve the issue, not to start an argument!

The ways I see it, for my case there are two layers of the issue.

The first layer has to do with the problematic installation of the previous build that worked for me as I wished and now that I roll back I'm facing issues. Based the way you explained to me the things regarding unistallation, there are 3 possibilities here:

1 - Something affected virtualdj because that laptop got a windows 10 update
2 - Someone of the other djs in that venue, did something and don't tell.
3 - There is an issue with the specific Hercules RMX2 unit.

Since I can unistall virtualdj without a trace from that laptop, then I suppose a hard "restore" of the os of that laptop, would help on 1 and 2. Also since they have 2 more Hercules RMX2 units as a back up, I can use those to test if the current has the issue.
So, by doing this, I suppose I could go back to before as it was.

Beyond that, which seems to be a personal issue, there is a second to discuss, that has to do with the higher / mid frequencies.

You confirmed that there was a change on the use of the master tempo and people mentioned about limiter red kicks (something that I can testify too) .
And I was thinking, that this maybe has to do with the nature of the audio source (the mp3 / aac / flac / wav / etc we use)

I am among those people that proccess the audio files. I declip them, I do some eq and I change the samplerate from 44100 to 48000 because I use that audio as the basis of my video. I don't want any comments regarding why I do this etc. The point is that my audio as you can see from the picture, from the form it has on the left, ends up in the form it has on the right.

I do realise that the virtualdj team probably optimise the engine (or the limiter or whatever) for sources that have the waveform on the left. And because the majority of the djs want "Loud" sound (I blame that terror called current EDM music for this), maybe audio like the one on the right is treated as "low" etc.
For whatever reason, my audio files (like the ones on the right) sounds great with older builds. Probably the later builds does a great job on audio files that look like the one of the left. Well, I can't ask the team to optimise virtualdj on my needs, but at least I would love to stick with a version that for whatever reason, my type of files sound better.

I believe people that plays music riped from vinyls, old CDs (pre 1998) or declip the sound of the mp3s / itunes, have this issues.The rest don't.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 7:43 pm
sorry guy i declip all my music and i do not have this issue :-)

also my music looks like yours not all maxed out.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 8:17 pm
No, VirtualDj is not optimized against one type of music,nor the limiter has anything to do with your issue.
The limiter is just a LIMITER, not a compressor. It does not alter the dynamics of your tracks.
Tracks with higher dynamic range tend to hit the limiter more easy. That's Audio Engineering 101.
If you find that a lot of your tracks hit the limiter, change the zerodb setting to provide yourself more headroom.
Generally on tracks with big dynamic range the limiter gets triggered by the bass/kick as that's what is the most powerful element on sound. However, the limiter does not limit "just the bass" (that's what a multi-band limiter does). It limits the entire audible frequency range (from 20Hz to 22KHz)
Therefore the artifacts of the limiter is a "breathing" sound which has nothing to do with "highs/mids" screaming.

More tests:
Change your soundcard latency. Try various settings to see if increasing it makes the sound better or not.
Try both ASIO and WASAPI.
For WASAPI open Windows Control Panel -> Audio applet and make sure that Windows are NOT using any effects on your soundcard.
If your soundcard supports multiple sample rates try to change them and see what happens.
Set your sound interface to 44.100Hz and play both 44.100Hz mp3 files and 48KHz video files.
Set your sound interface to 48KHz and repeat the above procedure

PS: I could go to more technical stuff like USB kernels that may have changed and alter the sound, but first we need to exclude all other possibilities.
FYI: A few soundcards allow you to change how many kernels they use on the USB bus. Usually "typical" users should/would not bother with this setting. However it is possible that either you (or another dj) messed with it by accident, or a Windows update changed the "default" kernels count for your soundcard.
This is just an example of how many things may alter your sound...
The good news is that if you get better sound by increasing latency you can also track down issues caused by USB kernels.

PS2: The master tempo algorithm has changed, that's true, but when you play a track at it's original tempo (pitch/tempo +0%) the algorithm is not used at all.
Therefore MT algorithm would be responsible for your issue only if you would get "clear" sound with pitch at +0% and the sound would get "dirty" when you pitch up/down the tracks.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 9:08 pm
I have the limiter always on -3db (I used the -0.7500 value on previous versions). Actually the limiter don't kick on my tracks. Sometimes, what happens is this: I switch on the laptop, connect the Hercules, and load virtualdj. All the tracks "kick" at this point. I close and re-open virtualdj. No tracks "kick" (the same tracks don't have an issue). I don't know why this happens but open / close / open virtualdj is not a big deal (Actually I read about this tip some time ago on this forum here). I just mention it in case it helps

The thing you mention about USB could be a issue yes. I read that Hercules had issues with USB 3 and suggested USB 2. I do know that Microsoft tries to solve issues regarding the USB build - in controllers on later motherboards and change things. A random update could mess up things. Maybe something is there.

Thankfully I never - ever - touch the equipment of the venue myself. I call the Boss' son to do whatever. But I don't know what the other djs do (I just try to keep my ass safe to be honest).

I'll try all those tips you mention and report the results! I have a gig this saturday with my own laptop/midi, so I'll know regarding my equipment at least. For the venus' one, I'll have to wait until 11/2.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 9:49 pm
If you can test with something other than VDJ do that and see what you get. If it is practical for you to do this then easy comparison and can help to isolate quickly.

Labrokratis, post the before and after audio files. Maybe something with that someone can analyze.

I assume you have your output set to 48000 for RMX2 and VDJ since you converted your files to 48k. An slight error can be introduced but if your RMX2 is set to 48K should be fine. If set to 44.1k then more error in introduced to convert back.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 10:24 pm
Adion wrote :
SpBlackCat wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :
BTW: Since VirtualDj can record in FLAC (which is loseless) use FLAC.
And record the exact same spot of the tracks you can hear the difference

I'm afraid by recording you can't (capture) the problem. I tried.

You can only hear the difference when the sound is passing through the Master, coming out of the speakers.

But the problem is very Obvious, Annoying and Damaging to the ears !!!

My ears are still Aching from a Gig that I had this Saturday at one of the Major Clubs that I play at.
There is so much Hissing and Piercing sound coming out of V DJ with all the latest builds.

Once I started playing, the owner of the club came immediately to the DJ Booth and Subtracted High & Mid Ranges from the Club Mixer and that's how it remained all night.

I usually have the Club Mixer Flat ...

Please Fix the Sound, I had the worst sound this Saturday than ever !!!

Connect the output of your sound card to a line input on your computer then and try to record it that way.

Hello Adion,

I did my best to capture the sound difference and the problem between builds.

I connected the outputs of my audio interface to my other laptop through the Jack-microphone (from RCA to Mini Jack) and recorded it with Audacity.

I exported the recording saving it in FLAC CODEC 16 bit 44100 hz.

I did this with builds 3409 and the latest build 3573.

I used to different songs, one Electro (Minimal) and one Metal (Goth). 4 Songs (Recordings) in Total.

In all recordings I used the same Audio Interface (Novation Audiohub).

I recorded everything at a decent volume level to make sure that no parts of the the song would Clip and then amplified each one, so all of the songs would be at the exact same volume.

This is the Link to the Drop Box File:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x2ndcsim6s0n3fv/AAA1qc36xJ9qqSViNrwjkpcAa?dl=0

When checking the Wave-Forms via Audacity I saw differences in each recording, there is also a noticeable difference in sound.

Although the old builds do not work properly anymore, I managed to capture the difference.

Did the best I could guys.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 17 @ 11:34 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Also try to scan the song again on both builds to check if there is a difference of gain in the bpm calculation.

Posted Fri 27 Jan 17 @ 7:36 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Thanks for the upload, will analyze them soon.
Could you also take a screenshot of the audio configuration page in vdj?

Edit: And if possible, also upload the original tracks before playing them back in vdj

Posted Fri 27 Jan 17 @ 8:18 am
Adion wrote :
Thanks for the upload, will analyze them soon.
Could you also take a screenshot of the audio configuration page in vdj?

Edit: And if possible, also upload the original tracks before playing them back in vdj

OK Adion,

the original music files are in this Drop Box File:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iiuard5yh2p5sev/AAB54jqKcxVcQXX7RfjQoO9Ba?dl=0

and snapshots of my configurations, choose what you need:

Posted Fri 27 Jan 17 @ 10:34 am
31%