Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Turn off windows sounds during set?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have the latest version of Virtual DJ and Windows 10. I've noticed when I turn on my wireless internet connection, I can hear windows sounds during my set. It's mostly from the windows notifications that pop up on the bottom right of the screen. When I turn off my wireless connection, I rarely get them. How do I turn off the windows sounds or notifications so they don't come on during my set, but still get sound from virtual dj and the music? I know I can disable my internet connection, but sometimes I download new songs/requests from my pool during my set. Thanks for any help or input!

Brad

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 2:43 pm
If you set "exclusiveAudioAcess" in VDJ config, then this should stop any sounds other than from VDJ. You need to be careful though because if you do this then you then need to set the sample rate for your audio yourself i believe, because windows is no longer controlling it. So unless you have a very high spec machine, you will need to adjust the buffer size if you get some pops and crackles in your audio, so you will need to test this substantially before taking into a live environment. In terms of a windows control. There is a setting in sound options to turn off, but it doesnt actually turn off everything and there is no way of doing so i understand. If your laptop is always logged into facebook for instance and you have a web browser open, there is no way to stop FB notifications from sounding. I therefore make sure that my laptop does not log into anything, i dont use it for anything other than VDJ and a couple of music related programs. I think older versions of windows did have a way to turn off sounds completely.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 2:54 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Just turn windows sounds off completely, control panel - sound - sounds - sound scheme - no sounds

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 3:48 pm
Yeah i have done that Loco, but it doesn't completely kill all sounds, it kills system sounds, but not app notification sounds and sounds generated from web pages. It only stops windows sounds, not sounds coming from 3rd party applications

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 3:51 pm
Problem being that windows 10 is heavily app based, like a phone. You could go into every app i guess and in the settings for each one you could turn them off, but sometimes these are global settings, so you wouldnt get the notification sounds then for that app on your phone. Its a right pain, which is why i just deleted every app off the machine and logged it out of everything, dropbox, facebook etc. But for some people, their VDJ machine might be their only laptop.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 3:55 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
right click the speaker in task bar open the sound mixer with your browser open, mute the browser, click the notification in task bar, settings, turn off notifications

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 4:04 pm
Thanks Loco, did not know you could do that, mute the browser that is.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 4:07 pm
When using VDJ you really should set your computer to use your internal audio, not the same interface that you're using for VDJ (which should be a low latency DJ interface or one built into a controller).

Why anyone would still have Windows sounds enabled when they're using the computer for DJing, I don't know. I always turn off all OS sound - by setting Windows to silent (choose 'no sound' for the theme/scheme) and by setting it to an interface not being used by VDJ. As a third measure, turn the computer's volume right down.

I also wouldn't be using the web while I'm DJing either.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 5:44 pm
Mute the audio device in question. Same thing as groovindj saying turn the audio down for that device.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 5:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)