Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: AKAI APC Mini - LED Problem (mapping button with effect and constant led color, without blinking) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello,
i'm trying to set up buttons of my AKAI APC Mini with some effect-controls.
I want to modify the default mapping (for playing samples): constant color, if button pressed the led change the color and is blinking.

My led mapping:
<map value="LED_ROW8_PAD6" action="effect_active &apos;Flanger&apos; ? get_sample_color 1 : get_sample_color 5" />
---> constant color x, if button is pressed the effect is activ and the color changes to color y, ...and back. Nice, but depends on sample-color.

with blinking led (when activated)
<map value="LED_ROW8_PAD6" action="effect_active &apos;Flanger&apos; ? color &apos;green&apos; : get_sample_color 5" />

But i only keep it running (no blinking led) with "get_sample_color".
Is there a way to use a "color"-command?
When i use "constant" or "color" the led is blinking all the time.

Thank you for every information.

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 9:39 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
confused. Why do you need to query the effect running ?

anyways..
here is a few examples..
effect_active 'effectname' ? blink ? color 'red' : color 'green' : color 'yellow'
if effect 'effectname' is active, LED will blink between red and green, if not active, LED will be solid yellow

sampler_pad 6 ? blink ? off : get_sample_color 6 : sampler_color 6
if sampler 6 is playing, it will blink between off and its color, else it will be solid sample color.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 10:43 am
djdad wrote :
confused. Why do you need to query the effect running ?

anyways..
here is a few examples..
effect_active 'effectname' ? blink ? color 'red' : color 'green' : color 'yellow'
if effect 'effectname' is active, LED will blink between red and green, if not active, LED will be solid yellow

sampler_pad 6 ? blink ? off : get_sample_color 6 : sampler_color 6
if sampler 6 is playing, it will blink between off and its color, else it will be solid sample color.

I'm confused too ;) ... i only took the default code:
sampler_mute 1 ? blink ? color 'green' : off : sampler_rec 1 ? blink 500ms ? color 'red' : off : get_sample_color 1
...because when no sample is playing the led is solid (no blinking).

OK. I tested your first example:
effect_active 'echo' ? blink ? color 'red' : color 'green' : color 'yellow'

Result: "if effect 'echo' is active, LED will blink between red and green, if not active, LED ..." is blinking :( ...sometimes it flashes 2 times with the same color like red-green-green-red-green-red-red...

Your 2. example:
sampler_pad 2 ? blink ? off : get_sample_color 2 : sampler_color 2
Result: no solid color. When the sample is playing there is only an additional off-sequence like on-off-off-on-off-on-off...

I read that some controllers need to be tricked because of their default led mode - blinking by default.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 6:47 pm
Sorry, what you want is (?) ...
- Solid color when sample is oaded but not playing.
- Blinking when sampe is playing
- Off when slot is not loaded
If that is the case, try..
sampler_loaded X ? sampler_pad X ? [blink behavior when sample is playing] : [solid behavior when sample is not playing] : [off behavior when sample slot is empty]
where X is the sampler slot number.

For [blink behavior], you may have ... blink ? color 'green' : color 'red' or ... blink ? get_sample_color X : off
For [solid behavior], you can have ... a standard color for all samples with .... color 'red' or the closer color to its assigned one using .... get_sample_color X
For [off behavior], you can have a color like .... color 'yellow' or "black" using ... off

For effects...
siggy019 wrote :
OK. I tested your first example:
effect_active 'echo' ? blink ? color 'red' : color 'green' : color 'yellow'

Result: "if effect 'echo' is active, LED will blink between red and green, if not active, LED ..." is blinking :( ...sometimes it flashes 2 times with the same color like red-green-green-red-green-red-red....

Try to add deck x in front of the action... so ...
deck 1 effect_active 'echo' ? blink ? color 'red' : color 'green' : color 'yellow'
It should behave as described in my post (blink red/green when Echo is active on deck 1 and solid yellow when not). If still not working as expected, try to change the colors 'names', just in case the yellow provides something not suitable

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 6:31 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Also try turning Autodim off on your padpages, it took me a while to figure out why my pad was blinking

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 6:42 am
loco, thats only if you are using pad_color actions, but i think the user is just trying to map the LEDs without these actions, so no Pad page and no "auto-Dim" behavior here.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 6:46 am
What I trying to do is giving a pad/led a solid color without using the command "get_sample_color X". I've built pads for loops, effects, stop, play ...but i found no way for get them a solid color with command "color X" or "constant X".

This is the default code for the pads (comes from virtualdj when connecting the controller):
sampler_mute 1 ? blink ? color 'green' : off : sampler_rec 1 ? blink 500ms ? color 'red' : off : get_sample_color 1
-> with "get_sample_color 1" i get a solid color in every code i wrote.

For this i have 3 fix sample color:
get_sample_color 1 -> solid red
get_sample_color 2 -> solid green
get_sample_color 3 -> solid yellow

BUT this can only be a work-around. I want to use "color X" or "constant X" to be intependent of the sample-color.

Now, i would smash the whole layout of my pads, with one change in a sample color.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 7:23 am
constant X will not work.
color 'colorrname' should provide a solid color. Cant think of any reason why this wont work. If a LED is simply mapped as .. color 'red' , dont you get a solid red color ?

BTW, you dont have any APC Mini related files in VirtualDJ/Devices folder, right ?

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 7:33 am
evening all, just to say i`ve been having the same problem mapping led`s on the mini.
I tried all your suggestions, searched the forums and wiki, so i`ll be watching this one with keen interest.
i`ve only mapped one pad and led and can`t stop it flasshing, one flashing led is ok but if i map the rest 20 or 30 flashing would be too distracting lol;
Good luck with this one, hopefully somebody will come up with a solution soon

Posted Tue 17 Jan 17 @ 7:03 pm
@djdad: color 'red' don't provide a solid color. There is no file in 'devices'-folder.
It would be nice to have a look into the config-file of the controller inside virtualdj. Because the command "get_sample_color" provides that special midi-note for solid color. Is there any way to get access to that controller-file?
Maybe there is a small hardware-change, a different midi-note or even a wrong midi-command for 'color x' because the default mapping is made for samples.
Is there no other mapping example?

Posted Thu 19 Jan 17 @ 10:15 pm
It seems that you`re right siggy, after googling, yahooing and binging for the last few days other people are having the same problem with software outside ableton.
Also get_sample_color only returns a solid color if you have colors for samples on the same bank , press a sample and the led for the changes color accordingly and blinks with the sample pressed , but you probably already know that lol.
Midi notes and the like are way over my head, so just have to wait for the devs or someone to come up with a solution

Posted Sat 21 Jan 17 @ 12:33 pm

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 6:43 pm
Try this...
Open Ableton (download a version that supports the unit)
Verify that works (detected etc)
Close Ableton and open VirtualDJ.
Do LEDs now behave as expected ?

.edit..
@stalkker .. will send you something to try. Check your PM

Posted Wed 25 Jan 17 @ 11:20 pm
Thanks djdad, did as you said , put the file in devices folder,only now i have no leds on except when i press on a sample pad which then lights the led`s and goes off when sample finished.
I have the same problem as siggy , samples work fine, no problems,just when i map an effect to a button the effect works fine but the only way i get a solid colour on the ledis by using get_sample_color which returns a solid colour same as sample on the same page, but can`t get color to change or blink when the effect is active.
not a massive problem for me as i don`t dj anymore i just play about at home, all the same would be nice to have it working.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 17 @ 3:33 pm
if you map a LED_ simply as ... color 'red' .. do you get a solid red color ?

If not, then try running Ableton for a while, close and re-open VirtualDJ.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 17 @ 4:15 pm
yes if i map led "color red" i get a solid color red, but then the sample leds are off until pressed then go off again

Posted Thu 26 Jan 17 @ 5:19 pm
so now i can get a solid color we now need a mapping for led to show solid and then blink or change color when the effect is active, likewise while the samples are playing.
Sorry to be a pain but i am a almost total noob at this

Posted Thu 26 Jan 17 @ 5:34 pm
Find a custom mapping in Mappers folder.
Open it with a Text (or XML Editor)
Find : get_sample_color
Replace All with : sampler_color
Save and Exit.
Open VirtualDJ, make sure the same Custom mapping is selected and see if that helps.

BTW, as stated above, you can test/use the following...
blink ? color 'red' : color 'green' should constantly blink between red and green.
deck 1 effect_active 'Echo' ? blink ? color 'red' : color 'green' : color 'red' .. should blink red/green if the Echo Effect is enabled on deck 1 and solid red if not enabled.
deck 1 effect 'Flanger' ? color 'green' : color 'red' ... should provide green if Flanger effect is enabled on deck 1 and red if not.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 17 @ 5:41 pm
Hi djdad, first of all thanks for all your help, I changed the xml to sampler_color which has now lit up the sample led`s but they are staying solid even when pressed, should mention that the effects i`m mapping to buttons at the moment are video fx on the master screen they are working fine apart from led which is now solid, will be doing audio effects after i`ve sorted the led mapping, and yes blink?color red:color green works as you say

Posted Thu 26 Jan 17 @ 6:06 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
The light showing solid is something I've noticed on the launchpad2, there is actually a difference between off and on [brightness] and some colours actually show a different colour but the colour table can make this hit and miss, the difference can be very subtle [especially if playing sample is surrounded by the same colour of non playing pads, red especially], I think, brightening & blinking would be better for HW where the def file only allows 128 colours.
I'd love to get to grips with sysex to have full RGB

Or if I could have the equation what vdj sends when converting pad colour to a dimmed rgb, I could further improve the lp2 .def

Posted Thu 26 Jan 17 @ 6:35 pm
74%