Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: USB Monitors with VDJ and a "basic" laptop

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I like to keep the laptop hidden away, partly for safety but also I've avoided being "the guy with the laptop" like every other DJ that has a laptop on a shelf on the roadcase, etc.

Plus, it keeps the laptop away from the booze.

Until my external monitor died a few months back, I had a laptop under the roadcase hidden away. I use a micro keyboard and trackball mouse in the roadcase, and an external monitor attached to the top of the case.

I'm thinking of adding the Asus MB169B+ as a USB monitor.

Anyone have any experience with running VDJ via something like this? It's not a touch screen device, but the reviews ay it's not suitable for gaming due to slight delays. Not sure how bad that will be.

Anyone?

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 10:00 am
I just bought one of these as a secondary display. It's not cheap but the picture quality is outstanding. Means I can have VDJ on one display and everything else on the other one.

It's also USB powered, VESA/tripod mountable and has multiple inputs. They are also available in larger sizes but the 11" suits me just fine.

http://www.icitouchtech.com/1101p

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 10:03 am
And I thought I was the only DJ that was worried about my equipment getting boozed haha. I had to mount my mixing console on a slide-out shelf in a roadcase so that I can slide it back in during a party if the tipsy take a turn for the worse near my equipment. The bad thing is the fun mixers are bigger than my 19" roadcase. When will the DJ manufacturers get smart and design a shield for our equipment. One such idea is a foldable front board that sits in front of our equipment that is waterproof and prevents spatter from the dancers in front of you. This means something for the mixing consoles and laptop. One long piece or separate pieces.

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 1:05 pm
@/nassausky, How can this be the fault of the manufacturing companies???

Is it They're fault your club doesn't have decent security? Is it they're fault you didn't have someone for your private parties? Is it they're fault that some idiot in the 25th row launches a beer bottle at you??

I mean you get what your saying about protecting your equipment but this is not the DJ companies fault.

Call me lucky but I've never had a spill in 12 years!!

Posted Thu 12 Jan 17 @ 1:44 pm
Great so the verdict is that a USB monitor isn't resource hungry, won't cause the laptop to have a bigger than necessary load to run VDJ?

The Asus one seems the lightest one on the market, small, priced right and available.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 6:05 am
Not exactly .......having both the power and data running on one USB connection isn't ideal. Not sure how this will work in the real world.

I guess you can try it out and let us know how it works.

The reason I bought the Gechic one is that it has a separate USB power input and also HDMI & DisplayPort connections and you can be guaranteed the best picture irrespective of the power draw.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 6:48 am
So, you are saying that you can have you laptop for VDJ, HDMI output to the TVs to the guest, and this monitor on the side for VDJ panels? How do you configure because I was thinking of getting two of these Cinq, but I can"t find them anymore.

Posted Sat 14 Jan 17 @ 11:13 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
So, you are saying that you can have you laptop for VDJ, HDMI output to the TVs to the guest, and this monitor on the side for VDJ panels? How do you configure because I was thinking of getting two of these Cinq, but I can"t find them anymore.

I'm looking at this one.

I don't do video, and I'm only looking at this as a replacement for my main laptop screen. I don't need the laptop. In fact my laptop is so out of the way thanks to the USB keyboard and mouse in the roadcase, I might as well just use a small PC. Cheaper, right?

Posted Sat 14 Jan 17 @ 11:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)