Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: After a year and a half of Serato DJ no performance and no support, I'd like some feedback

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all, Mad Doctor here. As my title indicates, I'm extremely frustrated with my last year and a half with expensive software and hardware (Serato DJ with all the extras, and a DDJ-SX2). I have all sorts of issues and problems with the software, but the kicker is that I can't use Serato DJ, and must use my 7 year old Softjock Rockit Pro DJ (RIP bro Rick Cimorelli) because Serato goes into killer crackling line noise mode at over half gain. If anyone wants to check the vids I made, they are posted to You Tube, the vids are :"FSeratoDJx1", the 7 year old comparison (same track, same computer, same track positions, same settings) :"RockitProDJ1", and one of many cursor issues: "serato cursor issue vid 001". Serato tech said they're real eager to fix this and asked that I send them vids. I couldn't send the vids because the files were too big even after I trimmed and zipped them. I sent them an email with a note and a link to You Tube a day and a half ago. They're so eager to fix this 1 1/2 year old problem that they were no doubt too excited to send me anything except an auto generated list of lame articles that don't even remotely deal with the issues.I'd like to hear any other horror or heartwarming stories about your "Serato experience" as well as some helpful hints and ideas on the best way to proceed with a DDJ-SX2 and bogus software that most likely is outta here. Lotta good props out there on Virtual DJ. Unsolicited testimonials and such. Here's an unsolicited testimonial on Serato; Forget music and become a Monk, it's a lot less frustrating.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 3:03 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Well the good thing about these forums is we use common sense and don't go round slamming other software, if you have a problem with a particular software go seek help on their forums is probably the best advice you'll get here.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 11:06 am
Most issues regarding crackling are either config / audio driver / hardware related. There are lots of people who have had similar issues with VDJ and most are poor machine spec or incorrectly adjusted ASIO drivers.

I would guess there are probably hundreds of thousands of DJs using the SX2 with Serato and they all can't have the problem, can they?

Have you tried another PC, SX2 (could be faulty) or USB cable .... also having various softwares on the same machine is a bad idea as conflicts can happen too.

Sorry but I think this is just a rant and Serato and the SX2 can't be at fault or everybody would be complaining .........

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 11:42 am
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Or the "most hated response" to hear ... Get a NEW MAC!

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 7:48 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
A day and a half ago isn't that long, how many emails do you think they'll get a day?

my interaction with serato

Me
Hi there, I am trying to decode the V2 Markers into a human readable form.
Any information regardless of how technical would be happily received.

Serato
Thanks for getting in touch, this is not information we share with users. Why do you wish to know about this?

Me
Thanks for the reply David,
This is information I am unwilling to share too. :p

less than 2 weeks later I'd figured out seratos markers XD

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 9:12 pm
It's not a rant, everything I said except the Monk comment is fact, not opinion. If You had looked at the videos I posted, you'd have seen that the audio was run through the computer sound card, not any controller. Everything identical except the software. That eliminates a hardware issue. A day and a half isn't a problem, a year and a half is. I guess you misunderstood the purpose of the post. I was looking for a critical comparison between VDJ and Serato DJ when using the Pioneer controller. I suppose I could have made that clearer. BTW, If I have an exceptionally good experience with software or hardware, I let folks know about that as well. Sorry if feathers were ruffled.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 4:25 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
The Mad Doctor wrote :
I was looking for a critical comparison between VDJ and Serato DJ...
Sorry if feathers were ruffled.

Nae feathers ruffled pal, just dl v8 and try it for yourself for as many 10 minute trials as it takes

I'll bring up the old meme "vdj is a beginners software", it is, it aims to be. its a beginners software right up to the point you stop being a beginner.
Most instances the limiting factor is the user. vdj is as open as it gets without being actual open sauce, serato... well.. you know.

It's not infallible, the nature of rolling updates means errors creep in the occasional build, 3rd parties can cause problems too so you've got to test solidly before you go live with any update, [be it vdj, machine driver, or HW firmware]

I could list a load of things that vdj can do, but honestly keep trying the 10 minute trial, if you have a quick read of the manual you'll get the basics of what vdj can do that isn't obvious, and you'll probably find yourself surprised with a few "can I" or "how can I" questions.

post those here, don't be afraid to ask questions but do have a read of the manual first.

Oh yeah important selling point, those serato cue points you'll have spent hours setting, yeah they'll work here too. :-)

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 6:52 am
The only feedback I can give you? Sorry you are having problems, but please use the Serato forum for issue that you may have with their software. Even though many of our users have their software, (I got a copy last week with a controller) this is not the place to discuss their issues. Please feel free to download our trial version, and if you have any questions about Virtual DJ, there will be a lot of people here to answer any questions that you may have.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 7:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)