Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer to increase UK prices 1st December

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Just in case anyone was thinking of buying their already expensive gear it's about to get a whole lot worse.

They really are the Apple of DJ equipment. Vastly overpriced and people buy their kit to look good.

https://www.djkit.com/pioneer-dj

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 9:05 am
kradcliffe wrote :
They really are the Apple of DJ equipment.

Yeah, and like apple, try to make their products intrinsically difficult to operate with other systems and software. Though they did have to backtrack with the whole recordbox exclusive controllers. I do like the look of a few of their controllers, but think im leaning towards the Numark NS range for my next upgrade.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 9:41 am
The only Pioneer kit I now have is the DDJ-SP1 which adds pad support to my MC6000 Mk1.

I got it less than half price then sold on the Serato video voucher too.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 10:50 am
Yeah I think i saw you say that on some thread. I am tempted by it, but I use apc mini for samples, and was then thinking of getting couple of reloop neons, one for each deck to then use for slicer or beatjump etc.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 10:55 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

I also saw this article, it seems Pioneer fell out with Serato, but that doesn't extend to VDJ?

The question is which of the current controllers are really supported best, does a VDJ user buy the DDJ-RX or a DDJ-SX2? Which has better compatibility with VDJ? The RX is the newer unit and has made some improvements over the SX2, but no good if the controller is 'hacked' rather than supported.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 2:16 pm
That's a good point, and actually leads me onto something I have been trying to fathom, especially as I will be looking to upgrade my controller soon.

This may or may not be right, please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I think i know. A controller can either communicate via MIDI or HID. HID is better than MIDI. If a controller is specifically made for any of the software's then it will communicate via HID. If not then it has to be mapped via MIDI. Therefore much better to get a controller designed for the software you use.

Is this right? if so, there are not many specifically designed for VDJ

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 2:32 pm
I think the last "decent" controller to be designed for VDJ (And Traktor in Europe) was the MC6000 mk1 and that was in 2010

I don't think controllers need to be specifically designed for a certain software (although some of the Pioneer ones support Serato specific plugins like flip) however I do disagree with the controllers being "locked down" like both InMusic and Pioneer have tried to do lately.

As the controllers become more complex (screens etc.) it gives the manufacturers an excuse to say "well it works best with this software". In essence they have seen how successful Apple are locking hardware and software together and want to try it for themselves. they seem to forget about the many users who prefer VDJ (and other independent software) and for that reason I would by a locked controller at any cost.

Let's see how this one pans out.

Have a read of this thread, some good info in there: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/210740/General_Discussion/NEW_HARDWARE__Pioneer_DDJ-RZX.html

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 2:42 pm
Just read that thread, yes some good info, though I am still a little bit unclear on the whole MIDI vs HID thing and which controllers are the latter. I guess I am better looking at ones which come with a VDJ license.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 3:26 pm

The way I see the current situation is one of musical chairs, there's too many players in the software game, and Pioneer are trying to stop the music, Serato are saying "go for it we're ready" and VDJ, Traktor and others are saying "Whatever you do, do not stop the music" because these are he guys that'll be left out. Although the impact of the decision isn't as instant as with musical chairs, it essentially leaves dead men walking as peoples current controllers come to the end of their lives. You're up against money, hills of money, and money ultimately wins. It'll get to the point when VDJ will have to decide if they want to mess with the big boys or remain in the shallow end of the pool, where the colours are brighter and there's less chance of drowning.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 3:40 pm
locodog wrote :
It isn't 'hacked' it's reverse engineered.As for designated controllers working best with the designated sw, that's mostly BS with the exception of a prop system that is limited to a small number of units (the kontrol s4 mk1 and its long since abandoned NHL protocol for example)

Thanks Locodog, makes a bit more sense now.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 4:16 pm
Andy7689 wrote :
This may or may not be right, please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I think i know. A controller can either communicate via MIDI or HID. HID is better than MIDI. If a controller is specifically made for any of the software's then it will communicate via HID. If not then it has to be mapped via MIDI. Therefore much better to get a controller designed for the software you use.

Is this right? if so, there are not many specifically designed for VDJ

No, this is WRONG:
DDJ-SX: MIDI only, not locked, but several features not documented as to be used exclusively by Serato
DDJ-SX2: MIDI only, Some features locked to be used exclusively by Serato
DDJ-RX: MIDI only, Some features locked to be used exclusively by Rekordbox
DDJ-SZ: MIDI only, Some features locked to be used exclusively by Serato.
DDJ-RZ: HID/MIDI hybrid. HID is locked to be used exclusively by Rekordbox. Some MIDI features are locked to be used exclusively by Rekordbox

Posted Thu 01 Dec 16 @ 6:58 am
Thanks George. Are there any controllers with features locked exclusively to VDJ then?

Posted Thu 01 Dec 16 @ 9:09 am

I just managed to order a DDJ-RX for £759 before the price increase, going to sell my DJM900 mixer to pay for it, buy low sell high ;)

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 3:11 pm
Is that just the SX2 with a Rekordbox sticker on it?

Looks pretty similar in every way.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 3:24 pm
Denon should be returning back for their crown... VDJ needs to make something official with them.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 5:13 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Is that just the SX2 with a Rekordbox sticker on it?

Looks pretty similar in every way.

There's changes to the labelling of the buttons, design, the colour FX are more extensive as you can choose between 4 (rather than just high/low pass), but yes the list of changes isn't major, probably some minor upgrades.

It also comes with a RB license.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 11:22 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
mitchiemasha wrote :
Denon should be returning back for their crown... VDJ needs to make something official with them.

Like some features locked to be used exclusively by VDJ ?
How about VDJ engraved logo for a change?

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 3:13 am

Denon is Numark and Numark is Serato, so not gonna happen.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 16 @ 4:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)