Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pad questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Just a few things

1 Can pads have an ONINIT/ONEXIT?
2 Can the menu snap be scripted to blink?
3 Could in the future the menu snap have a colour?
4 Can you have more than 8 pads and 8 shiftpads to a pads page [theoretical question]

Posted Wed 19 Oct 16 @ 1:42 am
NuzzletPRO InfinityMember since 2015
1 Can pads have an ONINIT/ONEXIT?
2 Can the menu snap be scripted to blink?
3 Could in the future the menu snap have a colour?
4 Can you have more than 8 pads and 8 shiftpads to a pads page [theoretical question]

1. Please elaborate

2. I Don't know what a Menu Snap is...Sorry

3. Same as above

5. No, You cannot, but you can have as many different sets of 8 pads, although I don't know how you could do that with more than one on the same deck.

Posted Wed 19 Oct 16 @ 9:30 pm
Not really questions for you more for staff,

1 oninit and onexit perform scripts when the object is called or uncalled, mappings and skins have them.
I've just tested and it appears not.
2 menu snap is [I think] the skin element name for the pad menu button, I want to use it to show information by blinking
3 more of a wish/suggestion
4 Was theoretical, I had no purpose for pad>8, but I just tested by adding at the xml level and again it appears not.

I'm just exploring the limits.
2 & 3 I'll put into wishes

Posted Wed 19 Oct 16 @ 10:37 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
1. No, Pads pages xml dont "initialize", so ONINIT is not supported. What do you have in mind ?
2. Its a skin element as you said. In a custom skin, you could "overlay" a button or a visual to make it turn on/off /blink anyway you want. Considering that a menu can have multiple "status" on several modes, i dont see how the default skin could use that. The menu usually holds some secondary/preparation modes that the user set once and dont bother much during playing live. If the Pages you design have something more "significant" status that the user needs to see, then maybe move those settings to the Pads or the Pad Params ?
3. I guess #2 answers this one as well
4. I had tried that in the past, but didnt seem t work, so Pads are limited to 8 atm. Since the majority of controllers offer just 8 Pads, i dont see how useful hat could be though. If you want to offer more functions to a Pad Page, i suppose you could create "banks" and let the user select that via a Pad Param , and Pad 1 could trigger whatever action you had in mind to assign to Pad 9 when the 2nd Bank is selected ?

Posted Wed 19 Oct 16 @ 11:18 pm
Thanks for the reply

1 Nothing in mind in particular just... pondering, knowing what is and isn't possible sometimes helps, sometimes it doesn't.
2 It's just there, with just off or over gfx it's just as switch, with colour it could convey some information,
Just a little touch pad makers could add without delving into the skin.
My idea isn't about what is on the pad menu itself, more about what the pad was doing,
but still could be useful for information from the menu. [most menus only carry only a few options]

4 was entirely speculation see 1 :-p I read the script description for the pad and it said "nth"

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 2:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)