Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Ask the dj not working properly again
Hi

I now can't receive messages from ask.the.dj anymore when venue name does not match forum name

- old link (with forum name) is working properly
- new created location and venue/dj name are detected OK
- unless venue and forum names match, messages seems always to be send (even if virtualdj is down) but never received
(it looks like redirection is totally broken)

Posted Sun 25 Sep 16 @ 12:58 am
by the way... what is the reason to ask for a language when creating venue as ask.the.dj is not localized (site and feature are both hardcoded in english)
(ok i figured out why it seems not to work... see next post)

Posted Sun 25 Sep 16 @ 1:43 am
after some deeper investigations here is what appends

create a new venue "myvenue"
by going to ask.the.dj site redirects to https://www.virtualdj.com/ask/myvenue which does nothing (english)
even if trying to send a message redirects to https://www.virtualdj.com/ask/myvenue?ok=1 virtualdj is never receiving anything

however going to https://www.virtualdj.com/ask/myforumname form is really localized (so that i realize why language was asked for) and ask to and send messages to "myvenue" which are well received within virtualdj, and even answers are coming back correctly this way

the problem is "ask/myvenue" does not send internally to "myforumname" as it would do and "/ask/myforumname" send to "myforumname" using "myvenue" as a display name as it wouldn't do and can receive answer back as it have to

client ==> myvenue ==> ask.the.dj ==> myforumname ==> virtualdj does not work
client ==> myforumname ==> ask.the.dj ==> myforumname ==> virtualdj does work, client see "myvenue" as receiver

client <== myvenue <= ask.the.dj <== myforumname <== virtualdj does not work
client <== myforumname <== ask.the.dj <== myforumname <== virtualdj does work, client see "myvenue" as sender

well yes, redirection is broken

Posted Sun 25 Sep 16 @ 2:33 am
Is there an update on this as the same thing happens to me. If I use the Venue name the request does not appear in the Ask The DJ Folder but when i use the forum name link the request come through!

Posted Thu 20 Oct 16 @ 10:06 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Having an issue here as well when trying to request using the Venue name that I setup. Can this get working again??

It does work when use ask.the.dj/<forum_name>, however would like to use the Venue name as it worked before.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 16 @ 4:35 am

Works for me, just tested.
What is the venue name and ask.dj/venuename link you are using?

Posted Tue 25 Oct 16 @ 9:26 am
What happened was that someone just created a forum account using for login exactly your venue name.
And since the ask.the.dj url looks for login names first, and then venue names, your link were ending up on his page (hence the absence of localization, and you not receiving the messages)
We'll look how we can prevent such problem.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 16 @ 10:46 am
ok, the problem should now be resolved.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 16 @ 4:58 pm
Support staff wrote :
ok, the problem should now be resolved.

I see now my forum name in ( ) beside forum name. That works for now. Rather forum name not be visible but I understand the inner-workings. Thanks for looking into it and getting it working again for me. Appreciate that.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 16 @ 7:41 pm
You see the forum names in parenthesis only when you have several venues with the same name, so that the user can know on which one button to click.
Note that if they're on a phone (which will have geolocation), they won't see this and will automatically be on your venue (unless of course someone has a venue with the same name as yours AND is less than 1km from you)

Posted Tue 25 Oct 16 @ 10:09 pm
Understand. Thanks! Good job.

Posted Wed 26 Oct 16 @ 3:12 am
How does one REMOVE a custom Venue? Is it possible?

Posted Mon 31 Oct 16 @ 2:03 am
Is there any way you can add twitter #. I would find that more useful that a sms number and free.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 16 @ 9:14 am
When trying to upload a list of songs for my audience to pick from it doesn't load. Help

Posted Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 9:59 pm
set up at home to test and works fine, i take to work when i dont have time to mess about trying to fix things and it no longer works..... whats the issue please. im using the latest version of vdj.

Posted Tue 12 Nov 19 @ 7:03 pm
user19829352 wrote :
it no longer works

You'll have to be a bit more specific than that...

Posted Tue 12 Nov 19 @ 7:17 pm
Hiya wondering if you can help my 'ask the dj' session has expired message keeps coming up when I'm trying to create a new venue!?

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 1:37 pm