Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pitch Preset no longer works

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djtompicControlleristMember since 2016
I can no longer manually preset pitch control during automix. The problem occurs after automix loads a song and I manually adjust pitch on the loaded song (but hasn't played yet) to something other than zero. Once song starts to play, VDJ8 resets the pitch AGAIN back to zero, which it shouldn't.

Without going into settings specifics, this used to work until I lost all my settings and had to reset them exactly as before. Also, I have the same version of VDJ8.2 (b3409) loaded onto another PC with confirmed identical settings. On this backup PC, the pitch does not get reset when song starts, as expected. I doubled checked every single setting and they are identical on both PC's.
So what could be causing this issue? Perhaps a control or button on the skin (Multi Touchscreen) influencing this behavior? I'm stumped.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 16 @ 1:58 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
resetPitchOnload setting is to Yes probably ??

Posted Tue 20 Sep 16 @ 4:29 pm
That is correct. By setting resetPitchOnload to Yes, then VDJ will reset the pitch (to zero) when the song initially loads on the non-playing deck. No problem here. If I set this to NO, the pitch control stays in place during automix wherever I set it until I manually move it again. This is how it should work.

For reference, here are my settings again:
SmartPlay =NO
masterTempo =Yes
autoPitchRange =No
autoBPMMatch =No
resetPitchOnLoad = Yes
pitchLock =NO
timepitchSliderIgnoreBend =Yes
autoBeatMatchOnFade =No

However the problem is, when I manually readjust the pitch AFTER it's loaded, but BEFORE it plays. Once that song starts playing, VDJ immediately resets the pitch back to zero for the second time if resetPitchOnLoad = Yes. If resetPitchOnLoad = NO, then VDJ will reset pitch of the new song to the exact position of pitch matching previously playing deck. In either case, VDJ overrides my manual pitch setting, when song starts to play. I had VDJ working on all PC's where this did not happen. Now I can't figure out why it works on one PC, and doesn't on other PC's who had VDJ and settings reloaded. I now have tested on a 3rd PC with identical settings and version and it also resets the pitch twice.

I brought this issue up last Feb, and it was fixed w updated software back in March. So I"m still thinking it's a setting somewhere, but where?

Posted Tue 20 Sep 16 @ 4:57 pm
I meant you should have resetPitchOnload to No, since you dont want the pitch to change when another song is loaded.
It keeps the pitch value here when in Automix. And since i am on default settings, i would advise to give the default settings a try.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 16 @ 5:16 pm
i had a post about something like this.

djdad, even when the resetpitch is set to YES, during automix, it does not go back to zero when the next song plays. It stays at where I manually set the previous playing song (this is only in AUTOMIX)

Steps for testing: (it does not matter what setting in option for pitch reset is set to (yes/no).
1. Put 3 or more songs in automix
2. click automix button (it will play the first song in line)
3. manually adjust the pitch for the playing song (first song that is playing)
4. either wait till the first song is finished or just skip close to the end of it.
5. See the result that the Pitch did not reset to zero for the second song or third or fourth and so forth. Pitch stays the same where you manually adjust the first one to.

maybe this is how it supposed to be.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 16 @ 5:28 pm
This problem occurs when using dual decks for automix: automixDualDeck=Yes
If I change it back to single deck automixDualDeck=No, then pitch slider does not move. Magic DJ, perhaps this you see?
However I still have manual operation working on one PC with automix set for dual decks. So why it doesn't for other PC's?

I also tried resetting to factory default settings, and then changed a couple of key settings to match above, still no dice.
This is a big deal to me since I DJ for Latin dances and never use beat matching.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 16 @ 5:35 pm
To clarify, VDJ is determined to force beatmatching during dual deck automix, even when I have all beatmatching options set to No.
And the million dollar question is, why is it working correctly on one PC (allowing manual adjust for each song) and not on others with identical settings? I'd be most happy to submit debug info if that will help.
Thanks much

Posted Tue 20 Sep 16 @ 5:54 pm
Ok will check dualdeck Automix mode

Posted Tue 20 Sep 16 @ 6:59 pm
djdad, were you able to duplicate the problem?

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 12:30 am
If it's working on one PC and not the other, have you tried taking the settings.xml from the working PC and replacing the settings.xml of the "bad" PC with it?

In other words if it's something in the settings, then swapping the settings.xml will set the "bad" PC to the same as the working one.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 9:05 am
I would not have thought such a simple solution as swapping xml files would work, but it did. There must be something quirky in the settings menu I overlooked, because I checked each and every setting at least a dozen times. Very weird.
Thanks for the tip groovindj.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 16 @ 12:21 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)