Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: USB hub problem with pioneer XDJ 700's - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I noticed that I had a problem when I use VDJ 8.2 with pioneer XDJ 700's in HID mode (I use a Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus mixer as the soundcard). The decks become unresponsive and also the sound from one deck will come from the other one. There a few other weird things what happen but when I connect the XDJ's directly into yet laptop, (Asus Windows 7) they work fine. This made me think the powered hub was faulty so I purchased a brand new one but the problem is still there. I've read somewhere that that pioneer CDJ's have issues when used via a hub and I think this must be true because I only have trouble when I've tried to use one. I wanted to use a hub so I could connect my Pioneer SP1 as well but I obviously cannot use the hub with the XDJ's. Tomorrow, if I get time, I'm going to connect the SP1 and my external hard drive to the hub and connect the XDJ's directly into the laptop and see if this works.

Posted Sat 27 Aug 16 @ 1:32 am
Just thought I'd update this post in the hope someone might be able to help. I connected the hard drive and the SP1 to the powered hub and connected that one USB port. The mixer was connected to another port, and each XDJ was connected to its own separate port. It worked ok for about 5 minutes and then the same problem occurred. Is it possible that the hub is causing some sort of conflict on the 'USB network'?

Posted Sat 27 Aug 16 @ 9:19 pm

Posted Sun 28 Aug 16 @ 12:14 am

Posted Sun 28 Aug 16 @ 12:29 am
Thanks Wickedmix. I can only attribute the fault to the USB hub as I only get the problems when it's connected, so I suppose it's worth purchasing a 'better quality' one to see if this rectifies the issue. I'll have a look at the ones you've recommended. Thanks again for replying.

Posted Sun 28 Aug 16 @ 12:58 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Why dont you use the sound card of the DJM900 instead of the XDJs ? Issues usually occur if the sound-card(s) are not connected to a root-usb (with unstable power supply).
Using the sound card of the DJM-900 could also prevent some "unwanted" behavior when switching from one source to another (e.g. from MIDI to USB)
So, just make sure the Mixer is connected directly to a USB port of your computer and have everything else on the hub or at any other available USB ports.

Posted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 11:55 pm
Hi djdad. I am using the 900 Nexus as the soundcard, not the XDJ's. It's a known issue that the XDJ's have intermittent glitches when used in HID mode and although it's very annoying, I have learned to live with it. The problem I am having only occurs when I connect my USB 2.0 hub (Belkin) in any of the ports on my laptop. The only thing I can think of doing differently to rectify the issue is to try and use the USB hub without it being connected to the mains power, or purchasing another hub.

Posted Tue 30 Aug 16 @ 9:52 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
toppadon wrote :
.. The decks become unresponsive and also the sound from one deck will come from the other one. ..

Well, i was confused by the last sentence. How is it possible the sound to come out from different mixer channel, if the DJM900 is used ? If the issue is just the XDJs, then i guess it would only affect MIDI/HID controls and not sound.
The only thing that comes in mind is the case where the DJM900 is also re-initialized.

Posted Tue 30 Aug 16 @ 2:38 pm
My apologies, I suppose I didn't explain myself very well. All I know is that when I use the USB hub it causes the XDJ's to act very weird and renders them unusable. When I connect the XDJ's directly to the laptop, without using the hub, they work fine.

Posted Tue 30 Aug 16 @ 5:59 pm
I use 2 XDJ-700 players and a wireless mouse receiver connected to a usb hub (not powered) and do not have any problem with it.
My soundcard is the Pioneer DDJ-SZ and the SZ is connected directly to a usb port on my laptop.

Works perfect.

PS: I only use USB 2.0 ports for my USB audio devices. The USB 3.0 gives me interference with some equipment...

Posted Mon 12 Sep 16 @ 9:39 am
Thanks for your reply and I actually have an update on this! I connected the XDJ 700's at the weekend using the usb hub, but this time I didn't use the power supply as I thought that could be what was causing the problem, and it appears that it was! I had the XDJ's and the SP1 connected to the hub, and then connected the hub to a usb 2.0 port. It played fine for over 5 hours so it would appear that using the hub with it's power supply was causing some kind of issue with the XDJ's.

Can I ask how you are using your XDJ's, timecode or HID mode?

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 2:00 am
I use the XDJ's as HID midi controller with VDJ. (plus a usb stick with music plugged in for stand alone play when my laptop crashes)

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 9:05 am
royvanmeel wrote :
I use the XDJ's as HID midi controller with VDJ. (plus a usb stick with music plugged in for stand alone play when my laptop crashes)

Do you experience any issues with the browser jumping when using the HID mode?

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 11:14 am

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 1:21 pm
Thanks. I actually commented on the previous post you made! Looks like we're stuck with the glitches.

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 3:28 pm
I bought a new laptop and it has only got two USB3.0 ports... I connected my DJM-900NXS2 and 2x XDJ700 on the usb hub on one port and my HDD on the second usb port.

Player 1 was perfect, but player 2 has an almost frozen browser screen. It has an enormous delay in the browser area. Loading songs en and playing etc is no problem, but I can not use the browser area on the XDJ display.

What have I tried:
* used my usb2.0 hub that I use for years on my "old" notebook.
* bought a usb3.0 hub and connected all devices
* connected djm to usb port one and xdj's to usb port 2
* connected only xdj's (without djm) and use them as soundcards
* connected only xdj's (without djm) on port one with 2.0 hub
* connected only xdj's (without djm) on usb 3.0 hub
* connected only xdj's (without djm) one xdj on port one and one xdj on port 2

If I switch the xdj's in the usb hub, the other player has the issues. The xdj that is plugged in the first usb port in the hub, works fine. The player that is plugged in the second, third or fourth port in the hub has the browser issues..
I did not have this issues with my previous notebook. But my previous notebook had 2.0 usb ports.. I also used an usb hub with the xdj's on this notebook. So the difference for me is change from usb 2.0 to usb3.0..

If I use the xdj's stand-alone there is no problem.

Who has a bright idea?

EDIT: The hubs are non-powered :)

Posted Sun 16 Oct 16 @ 1:22 pm
Made a video of this issue:

Posted Sun 16 Oct 16 @ 1:37 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You could try to remove the cover display from the mapping as a test to see if it may be too much data sent

Posted Sun 16 Oct 16 @ 2:03 pm
But on my previous laptop with only usb 2.0 and my two xdj's on a usb 2.0 hub this is no issue.

The laptop I got now is only usb 3.0 (i7, 16Gb ram, 512SSD, Nvidia 2Gb)

Posted Sun 16 Oct 16 @ 2:09 pm
Ok, I have nothing connected but my 2 xdj 700's and without a hub.

One xdj connected to usb port 1 and the other xdj connected to usb port 2. (Yes, I also tried to switch players from usb port and also tried 3 different usb cables)

The last connected XDJ gives me the browser / display problem. So if I connect xdj on my left side first, my right xdj gives me the problem.
If I connect the XDJ on my right side first.. the left xdj gives me the browser problem.

It doesn't matter if I switch the decks/players in the mapper area in VDJ. The last connected xdj keeps the not responding display.
It also doesn't matter if I connect them before starting VDJ or when VDJ is already running.

Maybe this extra info is helping for a solution?

Posted Mon 17 Oct 16 @ 8:05 pm
54%