Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Instant folder combine/virtual folder creation

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Sometimes when I'm playing it becomes apparent that I'd like to be able to view multiple folders in the file window, this is not to be confused with recursing an entire folder structure, but instead being able to combine any two or more folders, because this combination is relevant due to the nature of the current set being played.

For example I may wish to view "Top 40" but rather than just view 2016 or recursing the entire folder (all years), I may just want to view 2015 and 2016.

Now rather than manually creating a virtual folder and dropping these files in, is there a keyboard shortcut for combining folders temporarily or an instant way of creating a virtual folder?

My preference would be: Hold control and select any number of folders, upon releasing control, the selected folders now combine as a virtual folder (with an automated default name, but re-nameable), upon right clicking the virtual folder, a drop down could appear showing the folders currently combined, here you could deselect any number of folders.

I think this solution would be far more instant/practical for live scenarios - at least compared to the current options for doing this, as far as I curently understand anyway.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 1:09 am
I'm down with this as well!!

Got a taste for this when I used Rekordbox DJ.

+1 from me.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 2:34 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yuck, use the mouse, that doesn't sit well with me.
there is an instant way to make a Vfolder

add_virtualfolder 'a name'

you can add selected tracks to a Vfolder

virtualfolder_add 'a name'

more and more I'm seeing needs to save strings also have browsing verb for select all,

I could knock up a [automatic] repeat script to do this but it would only manage 30 tracks per second
or it could switch focus and give you 2 seconds to press ctrl+a and then be automatic

Posted Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 3:44 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well the point would be to instantly create and populate a filter/virtual folder, simply by telling the software which folders you'd like to combine - there's countless ways this could be implemented, I just offered one simple example of holding control whilst having multiple folders selected.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 3:53 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)