Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: i Have A Windows 10 Question ? And No It's Not Another "Should i Update Question" LOL

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

right now both my DJ laptops i'm running Windows 7 and everything iz just fine. i know sooner or later i'm going to have to upgrade to windows 10 when support runs out for windows 7 & or whenever i decide upgrade my laptops its gonna come with windows 10. so my Question iz will i have to go through windows 10 and change alot of settings to optimize it for DJing ? i know the basics of turning off wifi & disabling anti virus,etc,etc but when i 1st installed windows 7 i found a few links on different DJ websites/forums with links to
(Optimzing your computer for DJ performance) im just trying to hear from other DJ's who had to upgrade & or bought a new laptop with win 10 already installed & to see what ya'll did.... thanx for any help/advice

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 5:59 pm
if you have a speedy system and all your hardware is supported you shouldn't need any or much optimization.

might do one system at a time and see if u like it cause its different i am running it on all my pcs and i have happy with it.

if u do it and decide u hate it u can revert back by using a thing in the control panel.

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 7:23 pm
thank you wickedmix for your input

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 10:03 pm
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
There are really only a few tweeks that I make and I'm running on an i3 processor.

- Disable your antivirus.
- Use the script I posted to turn on and off Windows update.
- Close any unneeded taskbar processes.
- Keep Windows up to date (in a few day advance of your gig)
- Keep drivers up to date (in a few days advance as well)
- I started using a program called Process Lasso and excluding my Virtual DJ process and set it to access my computer at full speed.
- Keep your desktop clear of icons. Put them in a folder if you need them on your desktop.
- If you will only be using this computer for gigs, disable advanced graphic settings like Aero.

That's pretty much it. Except for the Windows Update thing and Aero, the rest is pretty much universal across all of the Windows OS.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 12:58 am
Cannen thank you :-)

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 5:42 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I don't think you can disable Aero in windows 10, but I also don't think you should. It's more efficient to use your gpu for desktop composition than your cpu.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 6:20 am
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
Adion wrote :
I don't think you can disable Aero in windows 10, but I also don't think you should. It's more efficient to use your gpu for desktop composition than your cpu.

Here is a link telling you how to do it.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-visual-effects-windows

Disabling Aero just gets rid of the bells and whistles of the layout. Everything still works the same. Adjusting the graphic settings will turn off things like shadows, transparency, and things like that. That will free up your system to do a little bit more if it doesn't have to process those extra features. With VDJ in full screen, you don't see them anyway. Why eat up the processing power?

<rant>
Some might see the tweaks I do as overkill, but the more variables you reduce, the less likely you are to have a crash. I don't want that to happen at one of the weddings I do. Crashes make me look bad. This is a work computer after all. If it's being treated as entertainment for some while they are working, they aren't dedicating enough time to the client or the party. If it's really boring and they want to do something to occupy themselves, bring an extra laptop or tablet.
</rant>

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 8:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)