Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Crash guard

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is there a log somewhere that I can access to find out what is causing Crash guard to shut VDJ down on a few occassions at recent gigs?

Posted Wed 13 Jul 16 @ 3:10 pm
Nothing? No response? My VDJ crashed 6 times tonight, 3 times last night, and twice during a wedding, tho I covered it b/c I was expecting a crash. (This concept can't make you guys happy, when people who use your product, expect it to fail and plan a way to cover for it) This is why I am so upset with Virtual DJ. The Service is HORRIBLE. WHAT happened, a moderator or employee read my post and decided NOT to respond? or did a tech just ignore my call for help?

And there is NO number to call to ask for fixes. I would be HAPPY to stay on hold for hours if it meant I would learn something and any of my multiple issues would be resolved. Hire someone please to answer a phone for god's sake. I can't record anything like I could in V7, my computer crashes multiple times nightly, I have virtual files, some of which I have worked YEARS on just disappear. when running a karaoke show, I feel like an electronic mcgyver and when i get it to sorta work, I back off and pray nothing screws up. The channel order pre-programmed is a joke. 2-3-1-4 doesn't even exist, despite being mentioned in the manual...and if it does, I am terrified to adjust anything for fear of getting NO sound for my next mights gig.

The people at American DJ have been awesome trying to help, but they have a number I can call. You don't for some Moronic reason. Makes me want to find another product to do the job and spend all my spare time encouraging others to do the same.

Posted Fri 15 Jul 16 @ 2:45 am
Here's a question maybe someone can help with. Can you search by text color? I had a Major virtual folder just vanish, and many others just completely scramble. I did however also ID songs in certain folders with the text color option, so those folders are gone, but the colors remain, so can I search the colors and create new folders from those searches?

Posted Fri 15 Jul 16 @ 2:49 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Hi,

We have well received your crash reports. It crashed in your American DJ asio drivers (adjasio32.dll)

Posted Fri 15 Jul 16 @ 4:25 am
May I offer some advice. If you are having crashes every time you do a gig, stop using what ever you are using. Would you bring a blown speaker to a gig? Then why would you use software or computer that crashes? Your clients hire you, they don't care about your problems. I don't know why you keep having crashes. It seems that your crash reports to VDJ, say it's the ASIO drivers (from the previous post). I'm a working DJ, and there is no way I would stress myself out buy using faulty equipment. You say version 7 worked for you? Go back to 7 until you can find out what the problem is.

It would also be helpful if you give the specs of your computer, OS, version of VDJ you are using. I have the same software that you have and do not have these issues. So maybe there is something with your system or controller that we can help you with. Previous builds are located here.Where in the US are you located?

Posted Fri 15 Jul 16 @ 4:57 am
First, thanks for the responses...and sorry for the rant earlier. My frustration level is pretty high and I feel like I have very few resources to help.

A Man, your advice has merit, but you use what you have if you have no alternatives and pray. Your advice, on a simple level, is absolutely true...but your analogy is wrong. Of course you wouldn't use a blown speaker, but in this case, the "speaker" isn't blown, it works most of the time, quite well, but once or twice a night it acts funny....like maybe a speaker over heating occassionally. The simple solution is to use another speaker, but if you don't have another speaker, your kinda struck and you spend your time desperately talking to techs or experts trying to describe the issues and hope for a solution. Trying to talk to experts about this issue has been insane, b/c there is no service number. A 10 minute conversation can be very productive, educational, and idealy, successful in fixing a problem. The frustrating alternative here is to post a msg or make a public topic on a forum that I then watch get ignored all day while other posts get responses until I blow into a rant as I previously did. This process can take days to occur on a forum, which does nothing ease my anxiety, when a phone call always seems to produce better results. All I'm sayin about that.

As to my crash report, great, I got a response. It was in the Asio drivers. Wonderful. Now what? Download them again? Might seem like the obvious thing to do, but I am just trying to be careful. Do I Call American Audio and tell them my crashes are on them? I talked to them a few weeks ago b/c I couldn't even find the drivers to DL and they, awesomely, helped out. I'll admit, in case you haven't figured it out, I am behind the curve on the technical side of computers and alot of the things I see kind of go over my head, so I prefer to find out from the pros, exactly what I need to do. Even then, It fails alot.

I posted recently about having issues with recording. DJDAD simply posted a link to the manual about this. I followed the instructions exactly...and still there is an issue. I asked again in the forums about this and this time got no response.

Of course I know the clients don't care about my problems, and they never hear any excuses from me. I have had to anticipate these problems and have had solutions or backups so that the problem isn't huge. Part of me trying to solve these problems is posting here, so please refrain from coaching me on how to deal with clients and stick to saying things that will actually help me.

As to using V7, I would love to, but it now won't work. Something about "not enough channels in the Asio driver." It won't even open. That was my first thought and I wished that worked. There are a number of things 7 did that 8 doesn't and I miss those features greatly.

You ask what computer I am using: HP Probook 650 G1, 4G ram, windows 7. I have used a VSM4 as my midi controller since 2011. Full disclosure: This is a new computer. My old one that worked great had a drunk guy with a beer issue, so that died. I scrambled to get this new computer and get all my programs on it working. At that point, when 7 wouldn't work, I had to goto 8, which did work to a fashion...enough to get me through my gigs. I am sure that I have done something wrong here. Some setting I haven't set or whatever. I just hope that it's my fault things aren't working right, and not VDJ or ADJ, b/c that can be fixed easily I hope.

Finally, I am in Indiana, though I don't know why you ask, unless you know of somewhere locally where I can take my setup to have it looked at and diagnosed.

Ultimately, I hope this just boils down to me being an idiot of some sort. I'm just a guy looking for help, knowledge, and answers. Thank you.

Posted Fri 15 Jul 16 @ 5:56 am
If it's the ASIO drivers that crash, there is nothing much Atomix/VDJ can do about it. Only AA can fix those
I don't think it'll help to download and install the drivers again. You probably have to wait until AA releases a new version of the drivers with a bug fix
You may be able to "work around" the bug, by changing the ASIO driver settings, but it's trial and error

However, ASIO is only sound drivers.
So another option until AA gets the bug fixed is to use another multi-out soundcard for your sound, and just use your VMS5 as the controller
Yet another option is to get a splitter cable and use the phones output on the laptop (and thereby the laptop soundcard) as split mono master/headphone output, again with the VMS5 as only a controller

But the first thing to do is probably to play at home using the VSM5 as a controller, but with the laptop as soundcard, and have both master and phones outputs in your headphones as shown below (yes it'll be a bit strange with master in one ear and pfl in the other). If you can do that for a few hours without a crash you have pretty much proved that the ASIO drivers from AA are tho problem

Posted Fri 15 Jul 16 @ 2:25 pm
klaus...maybe one of the most helpful posts I've seen in awhile. I do notice I have heard nothing else from those who, I guess, are paid to respond. When I'm pissed or frustrated...yeah, I can be an ass, but is that justification for ignoring my calls for help...not really....be a pro, suck it up, take your criticism (justified btw) and just try to help. turn me around...convince me otherwise, make me your biggest proponent! I'm just wondering, do I need to create a new post for every issue I have? it seems that i get 1 short response from someone who, I guess, is hired to monitor the forums and give aid. yet the aid given has failed and any follow ups, or new questions, are met with silence. This has been the major source of my frustration and resulting rants about the failure of "service" provided by VDJ. Again, I believe a PHONE CALL would have answered any questions I may have had pretty fast, and thus no followup posts., but that's kicking a dead horse i guess. I'll try again....Can you search colors? I was lucky enough to select a color for an entire virtual folder. That folder (and many others) vanished a week ago, yet all the songs in that folder are still that color...which is great. it would be even better if I could search a color...thus recreating the Vfolder i lost.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 10:14 pm
I just created a filter folder for my color tracks. Try "color=red" where red is an example and you do not need the quotation marks.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 12:54 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
About the question regarding searching by color..
The Color field is not available in the Search Options, so you only have 2 options here..
1. Create a Filter folder, as proposed in the previous post in case you know the exact color value you have provided those files.
2. type a * character in the Search field. This will bring all the tracks of your Database in the Songs list. Then have the Color field visible and click on the header to sort all of your tracks in ascending/descending order. This may take some time depending on the amount of your tracks. Then you can scroll down and locate the tracks that have the same color. Click on the first one, scroll down to the last, click on the last having SHIFT pressed, Drag the selected tracks to a Virtual Folder. I could provide screenshots and more details if you cant follow the above. ..let me know.

About the crash you have. As mentioned by Djcel, the crash report has been uploaded, but unfortunately doesnt provide much useful info and in most cases such crash reports dont hep us to reproduce and provide a fix if possible.
So, what we want from you is a few more info...
1. Have you tried to uninstall the ASIO drivers and install them again ?
2. Can you post here a screenshot of your Audio setup
3. Any specific steps/operations that you were doing at the time the crashes occurred ? E.g. specific tracks, while recording maybe , any Plugins applied/running, while loading a track to a deck ?
We have all of the American Audio devices here (they all use the same ASIO driver whatsoever), but we have not experienced any crash with the drivers on our side, sof you could provide more info, would really help us.

Forums is a good place to post and ask things, get advise, share knowledge etc, but the most appropriate place to get support is the Support itself, using either the Ticket system or the Live Chat when available. We constantly read forums, but sometimes we may miss some posts. I understand your frustration, probably I would have expressed my emotions the same way as you have done, but honestly we are here to help as much as possible to resolve everyone's issues.

Tip. Even though you are free to post anything you like in this topic you have opened, the most appropriate procedure is to open a new topic for every new issue/question, or find a relative topic and add a note, so that other users who search for answers to the same questions as yours, to find what they need and not read irrelevant information.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 3:04 am
The filter folder idea seemed to work, so thanks to both of you! it even worked with the #FFFF####, which was a nice surprise! I had already done the * thing to find at least the top played stuff, but by the time I hit 1 play, I was looking at a massive number of songs to review, so I paused. But that idea worked for me to, so thanks. As to the crashes, I talked to American DJ and re-DL'd the driver so we'll see what happens. It did crash once tonight just while I was reviewing songs in prep for a few weddings....but there doesn;t seem to be any common thing that I am doing that might point at a singular cause. I'll get back to you on this if needed. Thanks for understanding my frustration and still posting aid. Classy.

Posted Wed 20 Jul 16 @ 2:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)