Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Automix - Setting for fixed BPM during Automix - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
...but there are new scripts to play with now, I'll check tonight to see how pitch bpm battles with AM

Posted Thu 26 Jul 18 @ 11:41 am
Any new informations?

Posted Sat 04 Aug 18 @ 12:53 pm
No :-(

Posted Sun 26 Aug 18 @ 10:40 pm
A quick and dirty option could be to map one button to:
repeat_start_instant 'keeppitch' 33ms & pitch 128 bpm

You can of course change the 128 bpm

And to disable it map another button to:
repeat_stop 'keeppitch'

... and then set automix type to "smart "

It doesn't mix perfectly, but all tracks ends up on 128 bpm almost instantly

Another option is to wait for locodog to come up with a better more smooth solution :)

Posted Mon 27 Aug 18 @ 9:15 am
This tip does only work when the original BPM's are very close next to each other (about +- 5 BPM)

Posted Thu 25 Oct 18 @ 5:02 pm
Still missing in Version 2020 :-(

Posted Sun 06 Oct 19 @ 2:39 pm
Why is it so important to have one single continuous BPM in automix?

Posted Sun 06 Oct 19 @ 3:04 pm
Some of the DJs I know only play 128bpm.

Housey boring crap. Night after night.

Posted Sun 06 Oct 19 @ 4:17 pm
It's not like anyone listening is going to complain if the BPM goes up or down slightly....

I don't see why it matters. IMO if you want it exactly X tempo on every single track - mix it yourself.

Posted Sun 06 Oct 19 @ 4:34 pm
Not a DJ and don't mix but just interested.

I had assumed that AM blended the outgoing and incoming tracks together. Not the case? If they were blended, would that be a solution or not?

The OP mentioned tracks were in the 120-130 range and both should mix with 128. Pretty close and will you be able to pick the up the change over the mix time range? I suspect it depends on what is playing etc.

Seems strange if the outgoing and incoming tracks were 120 to speed up to 128 and then back down to 120. Would that be strange?

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 8:30 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Don Moir wrote :
Not a DJ and don't mix but just interested.

I had assumed that AM blended the outgoing and incoming tracks together. Not the case? If they were blended, would that be a solution or not?

The OP mentioned tracks were in the 120-130 range and both should mix with 128. Pretty close and will you be able to pick the up the change over the mix time range? I suspect it depends on what is playing etc.

Seems strange if the outgoing and incoming tracks were 120 to speed up to 128 and then back down to 120. Would that be strange?

AM does blend them at the same BPM. But, it changes the BPM's of both tracks over time. So, lets say track A is 127BPM and track B is 129. AM will start off at 127. Then it will change to 128 over time. It changes the incoming track to 128, then after mixing both at 128, it changes the new track back to it's original BPM of 129. That's how I understand the description of it's actions.

The OP wants all tracks to stay at a fixed BPM of 128 regardless of their original BPM.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 8:48 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Some of the DJs I know only play 128bpm.

Housey boring crap. Night after night.

I had a DJ for one of our boogies play six hours of the same baseline at a constant BPM. Man, this really got people aggravated. I would have rather listened to pink noise.

I keep right around 128 because the tracks I like to mix in that genre are 125 - 130 with a majority at 128. However, the energy of my song's change constantly. They give you a feeling of being faster or slower while being at the same BPM. 128 all night is fine if done right.

I would be interested to know the OP's NEED to stay at that BPM. I also wonder if the automix editor allows the change of BPM as well.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 8:55 pm
Was not sure of the scope and assumed the mix to 128 happened normally (what I was thinking was normal) except the constant 128... I don't know if this even makes sense, but I was thinking drop the 128, outgoing at 127, incoming dropped to 127, both blended to end of mix time, and incoming ends up at 129 and outgoing volume at zero and done. Trying to think if that makes any sense... while that's happening, outgoing volume fading out and incoming volume fading in. Really just never gave it much thought and might be nonsense.

Changing the whole track to some BPM does not make sense to me but maybe it is close enough to be ok.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 9:03 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Havent tried but here is something that should work (in theory)... tricky .. but all u need is a deck that your Automix deck will sync to.

- Enable Automix on Deck 1
- Enable Beatlock on Deck 2
- Set Deck 2 as MASTER Deck (use a 4 Deck skin for that or a custom button assigned as ... deck 2 masterdeck , so that syncing with Beatlock to be performed based on this Deck (2)
- Load any track on Deck 2 and start playing, use the Pitch fader to set its BPM to the desired value (the one that Deck 1 will follow) and set its Volume down
- Start Deck 1

Tip: instead of Deck 2 you may use deck 3 or deck 4 , in order to have Deck 2 ready to mix after you disable Automix.
Dont forget after done with Automix to bring back to Auto-Master Deck selection , (with Click on MASTER to the deck you had set manually)

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 9:06 pm
Don Moir wrote :
Was not sure of the scope and assumed the mix to 128 happened normally (what I was thinking was normal) except the constant 128... I don't know if this even makes sense, but I was thinking drop the 128, outgoing at 127, incoming dropped to 127, both blended to end of mix time, and incoming ends up at 129... Trying to think if that makes any sense... while that's happening, outgoing volume fading out and incoming volume fading in. Really just never gave it much thought and might be nonsense.

Changing the whole track to some BPM does no make sense to me but maybe it is close enough to be ok.

It's part of the fun/art of mixing. Varying song BPM's, keeping consistent, or even transitioning a great deal in BPM. It's all part of the vibe you want to create.

It's also why automix isn't supposed to replace a DJ.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 9:11 pm
I have said this before but had to do some BPM code... sh.... First thought... constant BPM for whole song - no way... I kept an open mind and people use it so I made a very concentrated effort learning about it.. we have talked about BPM here several times and I am seeing things I don't have answers for. I ask questions here... how close is close enough... no one answered.. other problems that did not make sense... I now have some very good data on it all. and may put it up when I have the time...

this is from my point of view and not someone that needs to mix etc.. my goals were extreme accuracy, no halving or doubling, etc and these things have hardened my thinking. I spent a lot more time on this than i wanted to... my conclusion is that constant BPM is just about worthless (from my accuracy point of view).. Some times it is right on the noise but usually off even if slightly... So the question how close is close enough is a good question to ask. All the time I am seeing fractional BPMs that don't make sense to people. Sort of a strange meaning for mixing in my eyes as well... The reason it works when it does work is your songs generally are not long enough to notice errors... I have data on all this and just a quick mention of that... I think anyone that has been listening to music and dancing or whatever are going know the beat and how if varies... Can you guys think back when a constant BPM was first mentioned to you? What did you think? A constant BPM can be easier to deal with but never frekin trust any software to get it right... VDJ does well when compared against other but they all suck bad.. If you can get over that hump, it becomes a thing of beauty. An algorithm that can get a constant BPM right for the more general case will never happen. You know that already. I have a lot more to do with it but i am happy with the answers I have so far... may tell you some day but I am happy resting from it presently.

I have a good story on some of the strange fractional BPM values you can see and it took me awhile to get an answer. The answer arrived in an usual way... it will surprise you I think but not saying any more now.. The most odd thing I found when researching a lot of papers on this, was no one was saying anything about the questions I had gathered up... that also swayed my thinking.. I had enough knowledge to know what was needed and the questions I had gathered up had to be answered to achieve my goals.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 9:37 pm
This tangent of the conversation that we have going should probably get carried on in another post. Maybe in the music discussion area. I don't want to lose the OP's goal.

I am still curious the need to stay right on 128.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:26 pm
Yeah I know... sorry I get carried away :) In my eyes though it's relevant since if it is not right then it has a trickle down effect... ok shutting up...

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:31 pm
djdad wrote :
Havent tried but here is something that should work (in theory)... tricky .. but all u need is a deck that your Automix deck will sync to.

- Enable Automix on Deck 1
- Enable Beatlock on Deck 2
- Set Deck 2 as MASTER Deck (use a 4 Deck skin for that or a custom button assigned as ... deck 2 masterdeck , so that syncing with Beatlock to be performed based on this Deck (2)
- Load any track on Deck 2 and start playing, use the Pitch fader to set its BPM to the desired value (the one that Deck 1 will follow) and set its Volume down
- Start Deck 1

Tip: instead of Deck 2 you may use deck 3 or deck 4 , in order to have Deck 2 ready to mix after you disable Automix.
Dont forget after done with Automix to bring back to Auto-Master Deck selection , (with Click on MASTER to the deck you had set manually)

This did work for me. I kept a running loop on the second deck. Each incoming song matched to it. I did find it odd that even though the fader on Deck A showed the changed position, the displayed number didn't change. I could hear they were matched. I could see the wave forms match time.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:43 pm
blckjck wrote :
the displayed number didn't change

Which number? Displayed where?

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:53 pm
73%