Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What setting could intefere with beat_tap?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My beat_tap only works when paused and only to set the first beat (obviously). I don't know why.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 3:32 pm
When a deck is paused, beat tap can be tapped once to set the grid. When a deck is playing, it needs to be tapped 4 times to the rhythm to set the grid.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 3:39 pm
Right. And in VDJ7 you could also tap once while playing to set the first beat. But now my button only works paused...

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 5:13 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
While playing it's almost impossible to get accurate enough near the beat to be useful for beat matching, so it's more likely to accidentally mess up the automatic detection that way.
The most common use would be if the automatic detection is exactly half a beat off, which can more accurately be fixed using the 4 beat tap method.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 5:49 pm
I'm gonna I have to contradict you on this, Adion. I'm on a touch screen and the tap button is my preferred way to correct (live or at home) a BPM that's off. On VDJ 7 it was pretty accurate.

My problem is that I just can't work with the (for me) totally counter-intuitive BPM (and POI) editor(s). I keep right-clicking to add a marker (too used to other software), lol.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 8:00 pm
You have many tracks that can not be corrected properly using the 4 beat tap method?

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 8:54 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
SuperAceMan wrote :
it needs to be tapped 4 times to the rhythm to set the grid.

Dumb question, what happens if tapped more than 4 times?

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 9:12 pm
That would start a new 4 beat combination and the BPM would be set to that... or at least that's the way it worked in VDJ7.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 9:30 pm
Okay, seems it was just a quirk. BPM tapping now works as it should. I haven't changed a thing, other than turning off (and back on) the smart settings I use.

Posted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 10:22 pm
ohshit wrote :
SuperAceMan wrote :
it needs to be tapped 4 times to the rhythm to set the grid.

Dumb question, what happens if tapped more than 4 times?

With 4 taps, the changes that will happen are limited. Change the first beat of the measure, half/double bpm, move the beat grid half a beat, or select the alternative bpm that the bpm detection thought would be likely.
For most of the songs these corrections are all that is needed.

Tapping more than 4 times, it will start to use the actual taps to freely modify bpm and phase. To get an accurate result this way usually requires a lot of precise tapping though. (tap at least 64 beats or so)

Posted Sat 02 Jul 16 @ 4:35 am
Interesting info...

Posted Sat 02 Jul 16 @ 10:46 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
thank you

Posted Sat 02 Jul 16 @ 11:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)