Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Can you include sms as part of ask.the.dj - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

If we have a modem for text to screen and we are already able to access sms information for this, can you please include this in ask the dj functionality.

As the developer of Text A Request www.impactmusic.club

I would be open negotiating an arrangement with Atomix for VDJ Karaoke users to get access to the app for KJs and their singers

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 12:51 pm
I feel that "Texting" is kinda on the way out. Everyone has access to the internet on their phones, except in maybe third world countries. So I doubt a texting solution will ever come to the app. Just my thoughts.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 1:17 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Years a go VDJ had Firetext free SMS to screen plugin and then followed a couple of years later by Pangolin... if these two companies gave up supporting sms plugins for vdj users I think that tells the whole story, social media is the way to go.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 1:31 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I agree. I recently banned SMS support from my text-to-screen solution and am only using/ are able to show Twitter, Facebook and Whatsapp messages.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 1:53 pm
sirwesley wrote :
I feel that "Texting" is kinda on the way out. Everyone has access to the internet on their phones, except in maybe third world countries. So I doubt a texting solution will ever come to the app. Just my thoughts.

Interesting you should say that because I, like a lot of other DJs play in locations where a text message is still possible...
but there is no data and no internet... just saying... but not everyone plays where there is always internet access.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 2:03 pm
sirwesley wrote :

NOT EVERYONE has Access to internet! especially in Karaoke circles

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 2:06 pm
That's why I said it was just my thoughts. :) I'd imagine in 1-2 years time however, Text messaging will be obsolete. Maybe it's just a US thing...but if I can text, then I can browse the internet and access social media. They are one in the same.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 3:42 pm
I think the other SMS apps were kinda pushed out of the forums and the other reason is everybody wants it for free.

I doubt texting will go away because people like me wont ever have a Facebook page.

But yes I think it would be nice if SMS was added to this as well.

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 6:58 pm
I remember some 2 years or so ago SBDJ was also supposed to be releasing a FREE sms/text plugin, I also believe it was in BETA testing but it never has appeared........., Wonder what happened there ?

Posted Wed 08 Jun 16 @ 10:22 pm
+1 to being able to include SMS via "Ask The DJ" - I am currently using mxkiwi's Text-A-Request App for Karaoke - would be great to be able to incorporate it all into VDJ.

Posted Thu 09 Jun 16 @ 9:04 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
right now we are still in pre-release, personally i dont think any additional features will be added until 8.2 is fully released (generally)

Posted Thu 09 Jun 16 @ 11:51 am
RobRoy wrote :
right now we are still in pre-release, personally i don't think any additional features will be added until 8.2 is fully released (generally)

I appreciate that the team is in pre-release... however as you can see from the 200+ views of the topic is is of interest to a lot of users

I have tried so many different ways but because I can't edit the HTML on my ask the DJ page I can't use the HTML PUSH function to send through the texts.

And the program I am using allows for us to convert sms to a format suitable for ask the dj.

Can someone from the Dev team contact me for the code please.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 16 @ 9:06 am

Posted Fri 10 Jun 16 @ 1:22 pm
sirwesley wrote :
Just POST a form from your personal site or your app to "ask the dj" and the data shows up. You just need to POST two properties...message and name. That's it.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-1CasMj0NE

You are missing the point.
The process needs to be automatic.
I can convert the SMS for POST process to work, but the send function or submit button on the webpage needs to be coded to work without the need for user input. That means no extra step from me or you pushing the submit button.
I know it can be done, I just don't have the expertise with websites that I have with android coding.
I still want my users to send SMS, then if there is no internet available I can still get the requests via my phone.
SMS coverage is still superior to Internet across most of the world.
And the reality is.... that not all gigs are done where internet is available.
Using streaming and services like content unlimited is a luxury for a greater number of professionals. Most of us stick to what we have on our hard drives.
My preference is that SMS be an alternative to web access, and therefore compliment the request process.

This is why I have asked for SMS be added to ask the dj.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 16 @ 3:53 pm
PachN wrote :
I agree. I recently banned SMS support from my text-to-screen solution and am only using/ are able to show Twitter, Facebook and Whatsapp messages.

I wish I had the luxury of unlimited data for myself and my audience.
The reality is that here in New Zealand telecom providers give everyone unlimited SMS messaging. And data is incredibly expensive.
Venues do NOT give free Wi-Fi to patrons, and therefore only those with data plans can participate via your method.
I am surprised that you ban a percentage of your audience just because they prefer to use SMS.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 16 @ 4:02 pm
sirwesley wrote :

I find your comment to be very narrow minded.
Calling countries who don't have unlimited free data third world.
When did America become a communist state giving everyone free data.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 16 @ 4:06 pm
tayla wrote :
Years a go VDJ had Firetext free SMS to screen plugin and then followed a couple of years later by Pangolin... if these two companies gave up supporting sms plugins for vdj users I think that tells the whole story, social media is the way to go.

Text to screen for me is not important, but the fact that I can access SMS messages on my laptop is way more convenient than using web based applications.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 16 @ 4:09 pm
mxkiwi wrote :
sirwesley wrote :
Interesting you should say that because I, like a lot of other DJs play in locations where a text message is still possible...
but there is no data and no internet... just saying... but not everyone plays where there is always internet access.

mxkiwi wrote :
sirwesley wrote :
I find your comment to be very narrow minded.
Calling countries who don't have unlimited free data third world.
When did America become a communist state giving everyone free data.

You are entitled to your opinions. However, I really don't think this kind of banter is constructive to the conversation. I've offered my opinions and I thought we were having constructive conversation, and then you go back to my initial comment to quote me (again) in attempt to offer an insult? What good does that do? You do your thing man.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 16 @ 2:49 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
mxkiwi wrote :
tayla wrote :

Text to screen for me is not important, but the fact that I can access SMS messages on my laptop is way more convenient than using web based applications.

Well you seem hell bent on keeping your thread alive, so kudos for that, Firetext was not just a message to screen application, it also had numerous other benefits including one you are pushing now, it was a multi function plugin where to be honest I don't think your app is at a stage in it's development where you can compare it to Firetext, but most importantly Firetext was the first FREE plugin to be given to the users of VDJ from outside developers.

In no way do I want to put your work or efforts down, I'm just telling it as the way it is, I'm surprised to be honest this thread hasn't drawn the attention of the team as one other developer offering another plugin asking for donations on the forums was removed from "advertising" it.

I wish you well in your work and hope you get what you seek, good luck.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 16 @ 10:28 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
mxkiwi wrote :

I am surprised that you ban a percentage of your audience just because they prefer to use SMS.

I monitored the usage of SMS vs. Whatsapp for a couple of gigs and the number of SMS is almost zero.
That in relation to the extra device (GSM modem) the extra cost for the SIM card is inefficient and of little benefits.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 16 @ 10:36 am
40%