Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: synced track right from the beginning ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Alright, so syncing a track and prepping for transition is all what's DJing is about..

I was wondering if it's possible to somehow have the 2nd track synced in from the 1st second ? There are times when I need to catch the tune right from the intro, and don't wanna do just a slam... but I don't have any time to pre-listen and sync the upcoming track..

I am sure this is a pretty common thing.. any advice ?

Posted Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 3:43 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I occasionally replace the bass on the first track using the sampler, and maybe add high hats or something. Sync loop the 2nd track, then use the filter to kill the second, crossfade, exit the loop, bring the second track in using the filter, and ease the sampler elements out.
Anyway some combination of the above often works.
There are so many ways to transition between songs.

Posted Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 7:32 pm
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'll say smart_play.
If the tracks are good analized you can set smart_play on and just hit the play_button.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 4:26 am
I dont get it?

Posted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 4:39 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
djjb wrote :
I'll say smart_play.
If the tracks are good analized you can set smart_play on and just hit the play_button.

^ this

Posted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 11:41 am
The problem with smartplay is that it cuts out most of the intro, and outro.
If you listen to the radio edit of Justin Beiber's "What Do You Mean" I think it's desirable to retain the intro clock which would probably clear your dancefloor. Hence add say a kick drum, and maybe a high hat from the sampler to make this intro dance friendly.
It can be worth leaving a bar, or two of the samples in between the two songs being transitioned.

All the sampler is doing is making the radio edits DJ friendly.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 12:14 pm
I'll say smart_play.

ok, will have to check this out.. I thought smart play only exists within the automix playlist.

I occasionally replace the bass on the first track using the sampler, and maybe add high hats or something. Sync loop the 2nd track, then use the filter to kill the second, crossfade, exit the loop, bring the second track in using the filter, and ease the sampler elements out.
Anyway some combination of the above often works.
There are so many ways to transition between songs.
hm, interesting.. I need to give this a second thought, as I can't imagine how I'd actually do this inside Vdj.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 12:28 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
bigron1 wrote :
The problem with smartplay is that it cuts out most of the intro, and outro.
If you listen to the radio edit of Justin Beiber's "What Do You Mean" I think it's desirable to retain the intro clock which would probably clear your dancefloor. Hence add say a kick drum, and maybe a high hat from the sampler to make this intro dance friendly.
It can be worth leaving a bar, or two of the samples in between the two songs being transitioned.

You are confusing the automix mode 'smart' with the smart play feature on the decks.
The deck options button allows you to turn on or off smart play, after which the play button will become beat-synchronized (similar to pressing play and sync really fast)
It will skip at most half a beat to accomplish the synchronization if you don't press exactly on time.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 12:39 pm
The songs being transitioned need almost perfect beatgrids.
You need complete control over the sampler.
I use an Akai APC mini.
I have placed a suitable mapping in this forum.
For a kick drum I have an on/off button, a volume fader which applies to the kick drum, and the master volume fader.
With a kick drum, high hat and synth I would use three on/off buttons, three independent volume faders, one for each sample, plus the master volume fader.

The Akai APC Mini looks good on a stand with all its flashing leds, but more importantly it enables the rapid relative volume control of the sampler elements.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 12:46 pm
You are confusing the automix mode 'smart' with the smart play feature on the decks.
The deck options button allows you to turn on or off smart play, after which the play button will become beat-synchronized (similar to pressing play and sync really fast)
It will skip at most half a beat to accomplish the synchronization if you don't press exactly on time.

Hi Adion, in that case it would be just the Justin Beiber clock ticking, and probably clear the dance floor?
I sometimes want the clock!
I suppose I could go into a suitable drum loop exiting the first song, and bring the synced intro over the top, and then on the first drum beat of the second song fade out the loop...but then I lose the outro of the first song.

Mixing radio edits has always been tricky.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 12:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)