Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: music composing software. - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi

I bought many years ago, cakewalk projects. Its quite a good software for electronic music editing but its getting old
and sounds are too much "small casio sound" to me.
Today i watched this video with martin garrix creating a track with some software. looks pretty easy and sounds are amazing.

You guys know about some good software there to create tracks ?

Thanks !

Posted Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 6:58 pm
What's your budget and what's your skill level?

Posted Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 8:00 pm
1000 $ max
skilled ? enough to edit a whole song, convert, burn, quantitize, keys, effects, MIDI..more than just basics steps.
But then again, its a new software, i guess ill have to learn from the start.

Posted Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 8:28 pm
You mention composing/creating, but then you also say "editing" so are you looking to create tracks from scratch by writing music and playing instruments or is it more of a DJ based thing of remixing/re-editing existing tracks from other people?

Posted Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 8:35 pm
no, most of all i want to create new tracks.
but editing others is an option too.

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 1:37 pm
I heard about FL studio
has anyone here worked on it ?

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 3:35 pm
Reason, BitWig or Live, FL is a BIG no from me........

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 4:22 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Been using FL Studio for a very long time, and it is extremely powerful and flexible.
It does take a bit longer to learn and to set up but then you can do a lot with it.

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 4:25 pm
@level10mix, FL Studio (formerly Fruity Loops) tends to be (IME) the choice of the spotty teenager - youths who've just been given a laptop by their parents, and have discovered that they can illegally download software, so they try to make a wikkid "moombahton dub step" or "speedcore trap" track and become a world famous producer over night;-)

In reality the end results are usually awful (YouTube is full of them).

(no offence Adion)

You haven't said what type of music you want to make, but Ableton Live is very popular with people making electronic music. It can be used for all types, but is designed for live (hence the name) manipulation of productions.

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 6:17 pm
Well, i dont know groovindj, you know more than me.

I want to create good stuff, techno, house.
But i dont want to complicate my self trying to come up with multiple tracks song and too much detail.
I listen to most known djs, harris, guetta, tiesto, garrix..
id like to do similar stuff.
I thought about FL studio because its apparently what garrix uses.

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 8:31 pm
level10mix wrote :
its apparently what garrix uses.

Haha! Like I said, spotty teenagers (well maybe no spots with him) LOL!

You can always download Live and try it out. The trial costs nothing.

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 8:43 pm
live..
its the software name ?

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 8:51 pm
groovindj wrote :
"Haha! Like I said, spotty teenagers (well maybe no spots with him) LOL!"

Well the kid has a lot of money.
Nowadays, we need to show more skin than talent...

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 9:22 pm

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 9:58 pm
I use Sony Acid Music Studio 10 and love it. It's "User Friendly" and the cost is very reasonable. You can start off with their Free Limited 10 track Version "Sony Acid Xpress" to get a taste for the software. Upgrade from there for $60. or less. I also have Sonar X3 Producer by Cakewalk but find this a bit less "User Friendly" than Acid Music Studio 10. To master my completed .mp3 projects I use Sony Sound Forge Pro 10 and this software is excellent! I also purchased an awesome VST electronic synthesizer called Spire from Reveal, which can give you tons of synthesizer sounds via Sound Banks using built in presets, and many presets can be purchased afterward. The cost of the Spire Synth was $175.

Posted Thu 04 Feb 16 @ 11:00 pm
FL Studio v9 & 12 Like mentioned above its flexible.no matter what software you get,you just dont depend on the vst synths ,samplers ,effects that come with it.you need to do some researching about the hot ones and stack up on them then pump up you FL studio to your level,allways space to grow.BTW Martin uses FL but so many others...

Posted Fri 05 Feb 16 @ 6:23 am
djmrmcPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Another vote for FL Studio. I use it myself and there are plenty of skilled producers who use it. It's certainly not a toy.

Also there are plenty 'wannabe' producers using Live, Cubase etc who produce terrible music.

It's not about the software you use. It's how you use it, skill, your understanding of music theroy etc.

Different DAWs have different workflows. Download their demos, try them and see what works for YOU!

Posted Fri 05 Feb 16 @ 9:04 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I'm of the opinion that being able to warp an old track for the purpose of remixing is extremely important.
Hence Ableton is the winner in my eyes.
If you pm me I think I've got a spare licence for Intro or something which I don't need.
It might serve you well.

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 2:37 am
I like FL studio a lot.... have made the most of my better creative sprees inside of it. It is loop based, so working with longer songs is a bit more difficult unless you've split it already.

IT is boss and v12 is especially much better, given that piano roll snaps to swing with the step sequenced pattern, a feature not present before ;)

I've also used ableton somewhat, but I like it a bit less, personally... however for full songs and DJ work it might be a better option stock....

Overall, I wish I was closer with Renoise (a tracker with best latency), however I can recommend FL Studio and Ableton, FLStudio moreso for studio work vs Ableton might offer better flexibility in a live performance. Money considered, FLStudio is worth every penny, while ableton, especially with max4live (need studio licence) is quite expensive.

Slicex in FLstudio and maximus are pretty damn unbelievable. Also the touch input is much more refined than in ableton, if that concerns you...

Though, as I tend to leave projects unfinished, and am a sample snob, really FLStudio 12 + macros should be enough, unless you'd accept the price tag. The workflow is different, but flstudio is much faster for me. Also, it is better at importing MIDI tracks.

Ableton on the other hand, has deeper overall functions, but has more freebies in the samples and presets department than FLS.

Both are up there, try the demos and see what suits your workflow. While I do like FLS a lot, I am forcing myself towards ableton, but FLstudio (12 especially) is my favorite.

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 10:41 pm
I got my first sequencer software in January 1990, Steinberg's Pro 24. Predecessor to Cubase for you youngins lol. Created an album for Virgin Records with it, moved on to Cubase when it came out. Tinkered with Cakewalk, still have Ableton Live (old version 3 or something) and FL Studio. But now, since I use a MBP, I've switched to Garageband and Logic Pro.

My son uses a completely different sequencer, I don't even know the name of, but, he creates some great music with it and he is comfortable using it. There's lots of choice, it's just finding what suits you best.

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 2:47 am
67%