Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: sampler-deck relation?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm trying to understand the sampler - nifty piece of versatile software, by the way - and it's capabilities...

Is the sampler relatable to a certain deck? In other words: can I have a sampler on deck 1 and have a certain sample in slot 1, and at the same time have a sampler on deck 2 with a different sample in its slot 1?

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 9:20 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
No, the sampler is a single instance, although you can use different samples from that instance on different decks.

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 11:11 am
...so slot 1 is global? It will have the same sample loaded for any deck?

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 11:53 am
...so slot 1 is global? It will have the same sample loaded for any deck?

I'm just asking because you got me a bit confused there with your wording... ("instances" and such)
;)

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 6:32 pm
Basically you can assign the sampler (all samples in your bank) to play through a deck of your choice.

Click on the gear icon in the sampler and pick which deck you want your samples to play out on.

You can not have different samples from the sampler itself play out on different decks. Unless you actually loaded them to a deck.

Hope that makes sense......

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 7:43 pm
Perfect sense! Now I understand. Thank you!

If I don't use the default skin and want to assign a deck by means of VDJScript, what would the correct syntax be? (I'm struggling here, confused with the info of the VDJpedia, so bear with me...)

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 8:00 pm
Yes you can Huey, you use the mode 'trigger deck' ;)

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 8:22 pm
Well you learn something new everyday!! Damn I had no clue, sorry Corny I was wrong.

Well I might have to go and try this out now, lol!!

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 8:41 pm
Hold on! I'm still at: "Click on the gear icon in the sampler and pick which deck you want your samples to play out on"

If I would like to say in VDJScript that the sample should play on deck x, what would the correct syntax be?

(I was confused because uptil now I thought the sampler in VDJ8 was deckless, as in: not tied or tieable to a certain deck)

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 8:48 pm
I'm asking because somewhere someone told me NOT to put the sampler actions inside a deck container...

Posted Sun 31 Jan 16 @ 12:30 pm
Sampler actions absolutely can be put inside a deck container and is actually useful to do so. That's how controllers are mapped out too.

The sampler itself is global, however the behaviour actually depends upon the audio output options for it. If set to 'trigger deck' then the audio output for the sampler will be routed to the deck that triggered that command. The default is 'all decks' which means a sample will be played out on all decks.

This means you can route the audio for pad 1 to deck 1 and the audio for pad 7 to deck 2, just by triggering those pads from a deck.

You can also query/toggle trigger deck output mode via the command

setting 'samplerOutputToTriggerDeck'

Posted Sun 31 Jan 16 @ 3:37 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
A small note though, since the sampler is still only a single instance, you cannot have one sample play on one deck and another on another deck at the same time.
As soon as you trigger a sample on one deck, all playing samples will be linked to that deck as well.

Posted Sun 31 Jan 16 @ 4:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)