Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: How do I specify (in VDJScript) if the sample is a drop or a loop?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How can I specify in a button action that a sample is a drop or a loop?

I have this:
<button action="toggle '$SHADOW' & var '$SHADOW' ? off & sampler_bank 'SHADOW' & sampler_select +1 & sampler_play_stutter : on & sampler_bank 'SHADOW' & sampler_stop">
This button will activate a different slot every time it's turned on.

That's fine for one-shot drops, but for loop samples that need to be played looped I need an additional command...
Does anyone know what the syntax should be for a button that triggers a single video clip to be played looped?

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 11:41 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
sampler_loop on, or sampler_loop off ?

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 12:17 pm
Thank you Adion. Although in the VDJpedia the verb sampler_loop is for adjusting the size of the loop...

sampler_loop : use 'sampler_loop -1' or 'sampler_loop +1' to change the size of a playing sample

...I've tried what you suggested and my button doesn't work when inserting the "sampler_loop on" part.

My button:

<button action="toggle '$DISCO' & var '$DISCO' ? var_equal '$LANGUAGE' 3 ? off & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' : off & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Disco.mp4' : var_equal '$LANGUAGE' 3 ? on & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' : on & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Disco.mp4'">

My new (non-working) button:

<button action="toggle '$DISCO' & var '$DISCO' ? var_equal '$LANGUAGE' 3 ? off & sampler_loop on & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' : off & sampler_loop on & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Disco.mp4' : var_equal '$LANGUAGE' 3 ? on & sampler_loop off & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' : on & sampler_loop off & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Disco.mp4'">

Note: It's a little bit complicated code because, depending on the language setting, my button starts a video clip for one (single screen) or two languages (two screens). Just ignore this :)

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 12:34 pm
Your original script in the first post just used the currently selected sample. sampler_loop without specifying a slot would change the loop mode for that sample.
You could use sampler_loop 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' on, but keep in mind that this will only work if the Discos.mp4 sample is actually loaded in the sampler (available in the current bank)
If it is not in the current sample bank, then it will not be loaded until sampler_pad starts playing it, and you could only change the loop mode after that.

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 2:18 pm
I think I understand, but even placing this...

sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4'

...or this...

sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' on & sampler_pad 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' off

(which starts and stops the sample playback) in front of the...

sampler_loop 'Y:\OVERLAYS\Discos.mp4' on

...does not "activate" the sample :(

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 2:45 pm
I just tried
sampler_pad "C:\samples\HR16_Kick_02.wav" & sampler_loop "C:\samples\HR16_Kick_02.wav" on
And that played the sample in a loop.

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 7:42 pm
Indeed, that way it works. I misunderstood the syntax following order. Many thanks, Adion!

However, it does not give smooth loops: there's a pause when the end of the sample is reached. I'm using the very same clips I used in VDJ7 and there the loops were seamless...

I have an animated logo for each theme night, prominently displayed before the show starts... and really need those to be "perfect", because that's all the people see until I start with my session.

Posted Tue 26 Jan 16 @ 9:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)