Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Can I have more than one beat grid effects in VDJ(?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

In VDJ7 I copied and renamed the beatgrid (and many other) effect(s) to make different, separate effects that I could select with a dedicated button (I'm on a touch screen and want DIRECT access to EVERYTHING with a single button, so NO POPUP MENUS or anything!). But I understand that the native effects cannot be duplicated or renamed. The VDJ7 beat grid effects don't work. So, what can I do to get more than one beat grid effect, each linked a to different button?

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 2:09 pm
Doesn't anyone use the beat grid anymore? Or am I totally ignorant of something very obvious and making a complete ass of myself by creating this post?
:)

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 11:53 am
not sure how to map that but i am sure if its possible someone will know and post soon

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 1:01 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
The beatgrid effect has 8 slots which could hold different patterns for the effect.
Aren't 8 slots enough for you?

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 9:44 am
You misunderstand, PatchN. Maybe I did not express myself clearly. English is not my first language...

What I need is to be able to trigger different beat grids with different, dedicated buttons (since I'm on a touch screen and do not want any popups, floating selection menus, etc.).

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 9:50 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The first parameter of the beatgrid effect is the slot number, so you could have a script select the slot you want to use prior to activating the plugin.

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 1:34 pm
I've tried several ways, following your advice Adion, but I can't get the Beat Grid effect to work with different slots with one button...

This is my last invention:
<button action="effect_active 4 'Beat Grid' ? effect_active 4 'Beat Grid' off : effect_active 4 'Beat Grid' 7 on">

This code is inside a deck container. It's the fourth set of effects (as you can see in the screenshot), so that's why I put in the slot number 4. The 7 is to indicate the Beat Grid slot.

This is an example of the (working) code for a buttons from the first effect set / slot for this deck:

<button action="effect_active 1 'BrakeStart' ? effect_active 1 'BrakeStart' off : effect_active 1 'BrakeStart' on">

Maybe you (or someone else) can see something wrong with my coding...

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 5:31 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Try this instead:

effect_active 'Beat Grid' ? effect_active 'Beat Grid' off : effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on

Substitute x above for a percentage slot value - 100% divided up amongst 8 slots gives us 14.29%. For ease, 14% will do, so:

0%, 14%, 28%, 42%, 56%, 70%, 84%, 98% gives us slots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 respectively.

I could actually add something to beatgrid to make this easier.

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 6:11 pm
That seems to work. THANK YOU Scott! I would NEVER have come up with that syntax...

Two things now came up (sorry):

1. How can I make sure (with VDJScript code in the action) it's always single and not continuous mode?

2. How can I make each button light up only if its specified slot is used? This doesn't seem to work:

<button action="effect_active 'Beat Grid' ? effect_active 'Beat Grid' off : effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 0% & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on" query="effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 0% ? on : off">

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 6:26 pm
This will set single mode:

effect_button 'Beat Grid' 1 on

This should work for the only lighting up with the mode:

effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x ? effect_active 'Beat Grid' ? on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' off : off & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on : off & effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on

Note there are two x (of the same value).

So combined:

effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x ? effect_active 'Beat Grid' ? on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' off : off & effect_button 'Beat Grid' 1 on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on : off & effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x & effect_button 'Beat Grid' 1 on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 7:27 pm
PERFECT!

But I'm officially in over my head, now... because I cannot fathom the logic behind the phrasing :(

I hope more people can benefit from this thread. Again, MANY THANKS for sharing your wisdom, Scott! I literally could not have adapted my skin to VDJ8 without this...

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 7:46 pm
effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x ? effect_active 'Beat Grid' ? on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' off : off & effect_button 'Beat Grid' 1 on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on : off & effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x & effect_button 'Beat Grid' 1 on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on

I'll break it down for you:

[effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x ? ] If beatgrid slider 1 is x%:
  [effect_active 'Beat Grid' ? ]If beatgrid effect is active:
    [on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' off] turn the button on to show it's active, and make the button action deactivate beatgrid
  [ : ] else (if beatgrid effect is not active):
    [off & effect_button 'Beat Grid' 1 on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on] turn the button off to show it's inactive, and make the button action to set single mode, then activate beatgrid
[ : ] else (if beatgrid slider is not x%):
  [off & effect_slider 'Beat Grid' 1 x & effect_button 'Beat Grid' 1 on & effect_active 'Beat Grid' on] turn the button off to show it's inactive and make the button action to select the correct slot, set single mode, then activate beatgrid

Hopefully that helps ;)

Posted Fri 22 Jan 16 @ 8:21 pm
Right. Well, now at least I know why I got lost: didn't get the button part: it's like the slider, part of the effect's interface. Got it now. I think...
:)

Posted Sat 23 Jan 16 @ 4:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)