Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Tags from Files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,
When I scan my karaoke folder (Recurse), it loads in the tags (if available) or figures out what the tags should be from the filename.

When it figures out the tags from the filename, it often gets things wrong. I can manually edit the tags, then rename the file based on the tags, but that's quite time consuming.

I realize in the Tag Editor that there's a button that says, "Get Artist/Title from Filename" but karaoke tracks often have a version/release number in front of it, and Virtual DJ think that it's the Artist. It then thinks that the actual Artist and Title are the Title. So, when the filename looks like this, "AH2009-09 - Vaughn, Stevie Ray - Look At Little Sister.zip" it populates the Artist field with the karaoke track (e.g., AH2009-09) and then it populates the Title with the Artist + Title (e.g., Vaughn, Stevie Ray - Look At Little Sister).

Personally, I like the karaoke track # (AH2009-09) in the Remix field. And, of course, I like the artist name in the Artist field, and the song title in the Title field.

By placing the karaoke track in the Remix field, I can search up a song title or artist name and easily see which versions are available.
In the images here, you can see one selection which I have not yet manually groomed. This is how Virtual DJ reads Karaoke tracks. It's difficult to show someone a list of songs available by a particular artist, because the list is hard to read.

However, I have groomed my selection of Rush songs. When someone asks for Rush, I can pull up a list like this. It's easy to read and allows someone to find their song quickly, and for me to find their song quickly.

So what I'd like to see is a second option for reading tags. The option there now is useful for when there's no karaoke track to the left of the artist name. Maybe an option to read tags from a karaoke type file. Or maybe it can automatically tell if it's karaoke and format the tags correctly.

Posted Sun 22 Nov 15 @ 12:08 am
Weird, that second image didn't upload correctly and I can't figure out how to edit the post. Here's the Rush search image. See how much cleaner it is?

Posted Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 10:01 pm
Can anyone in VDJ support please respond? Is this something that you're willing to work on? I've spent DOZENS of hours cleaning up files, and wouldn't have to if this is something you can implement.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 9:11 pm
What you need to bear in mind is that VDJ is primarily DJ software. For writing and editing tags, it's best to use a dedicated tag editing program - something designed for the job.

One of the most popular progs is Tag & Rename. Use that to correctly tag your tracks first (artist and title in the standard place) and then import into VDJ.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 9:25 pm
Agreed, plenty of good free tagging software out there.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 10:32 pm
I don't think you understand the point of my message.

I'm not asking for VDJ to become a more robust tag editor. It's PLENTY robust already.

I'm asking for an alternative way for it to interpret filenames into tags. Right now, it's set up for interpreting a DJ song into appropriate tags. I need for it to interpret a KJ song for appropriate tags.

It's all in the way that it looks at a filename format and guesses at how it should be tagged. It's GREAT at doing this for DJ-formatted filenames, not so much for KJ-formatted filenames.

Does this make more sense, now?

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 10:47 pm
I understood what you were saying.

What I'm saying is that instead of expecting VDJ to make the tea, bring you breakfast in bed and so on, why not just tag your files correctly in the first place?

The naming convention of artist - title is the "industry standard" (© Pioneer) which is why VDJ supports it. Your files are not adhering to that convention.

If you use Tag & Rename (other tagging software is available) to get the info into the right place, then there won't be an issue with VDJ reading them.

Posted Thu 03 Dec 15 @ 8:17 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Actually, Sean is correct in the way karaoke tracks were/are formatted, but nowadays with a lot of companies choseing their own methods of where to place the code for the track indeed if at all, like me Sean, you either have to live with it or start deleting track codes in all of your karaoke library, me, I haven't the time or inclination of going through thousands of tracks to make them fit the vdj way. I questioned this some years back and got a resounding no to the request of changing the filters so the track ID wasn't showing thus giving the clear fields to show artist/title etc.

Not saying their way is wrong, but it is their way of doing things, personally I opted for the easy option because I'm a lazy git and went and got Karma Karaoke and it has all the bells and whistles a KJ would want, but you must use it as a separate programme to vdj, when first using it it takes a little getting used too the first time round running "two shows" but you can use karma as a background player if you want too, as opposed to vdj's bells and whistles.

Hope that helps.

Posted Thu 03 Dec 15 @ 9:16 pm
groovindj, I didn't name these files or tag these files the way they are now. They were done this way by the company who produced them. I'm just taking their track and loading it in to VDJ.

Once it's in VDJ, I can retag and rename it in VDJ. Or, I can use some other program to retag and rename it first, and then load it in to VDJ.

What I'm saying, though, is that I won't have to rename or retag the file AT ALL if VDJ merely had an option to tag the file based on KJ standards as opposed to DJ standards.

And please, asking for a new feature isn't "expecting VDJ to make the tea, bring breakfast in bed," so don't be condescending. I explained the case and the point of adding a feature which would take EXTREMELY MINIMAL amounts of programming time, that would save KJs a LOT OF HOURS in renaming and retagging files. Whether I do it in VDJ or I do it in some other software, it's time we shouldn't have to spend DOING it.

Posted Thu 03 Dec 15 @ 11:49 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
If you want the Remix tag get filled with your track names file info, again, just use an external tagging tool.
I'm using Mp3Tag. With that tool you are able to convert filename to tag. Just provide your filename format and it will know what the title is, the artist or your remix.

http://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#ftt

Posted Fri 04 Dec 15 @ 1:45 pm
The thing is Sean, if Atomix added options to VDJ that catered for every possible alternative way of naming/tagging files, VDJ would end up being more of a tagging software than a DJ program.

Your particular files may be named that way (it doesn't matter who by) but other karaoke files (or indeed music files) may be named some other unconventional way. How many different variations should Atomix add?

VDJ caters for the conventional naming method. Tagging software (the right tool for the job) can put everything in the right place, then VDJ will read them into the database with the right contents in the right columns.

Posted Fri 04 Dec 15 @ 6:19 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
VirtualDJ will correctly parse filenames like this for karaoke in the next update.

It would indeed be impossible to handle all sorts of file naming schemes, but for karaoke the "AA000-00" indeed appears to be quite common.

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 7:24 am
Adion, thank you for recognizing this! This will save a lot of time, as 90%+ of karaoke files are named with this convention. I wasn't asking for tons of new conventions to be implemented, just this one.

If I can select the files that were previously tagged as DJ files, and tell VDJ to re-scan them as karaoke files, and it places the AA000-00 in the "Remix" field, and the Artist in the Artist field, and the Title in the Title field, that would be PERFECT! THANKS!!

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 11:17 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You will just need to select the files and select Batch Reload Tags.
The ID will be stored in the comment tag, since it's technically not the remix. (And putting it in the remix field would reduce the quality of the live feedback results)

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 11:30 am
Adion wrote :
You will just need to select the files and select Batch Reload Tags.
The ID will be stored in the comment tag, since it's technically not the remix. (And putting it in the remix field would reduce the quality of the live feedback results)

OK.

Previously, when there was no automated way to do this, I had chosen the Remix field for the Karaoke version, and added the Remix field to my search results pane so I could see which karaoke version I was going to play. I suppose that I could add the Comments field there and then use tagging software to move the Remix fields to the Comments field for my karaoke only tracks (not audio or videos).

Posted Sun 06 Dec 15 @ 10:03 pm
There is a very fast and easy way to edit your karaoke files for use with Virtual Dj be it Ver. 7 or 8. First go to: http://www.karaosoft.com/. Purchase KJ File Manager. It has the ability to change the format of the file name to whatever you what it to be in just minutes. In the Karaoke world, you are right. The standard file format is DiscID - Artist - Title. This Format does not work for VDJ. VDJ will work best if you use Artist - Title - DiscID for the file name format. You can set KJ File Manager up to accommodate that format. Select all the files. Right click in the yellow area. Left click "Export/Convert. Under New Format on the left select Artist - Title - DiscID. On the Right select Zipped. Click ok. Let KJFM do it work.The Next step is to Write MP3 ID Tags. Select all the files and the right mouse click in the yellow area. Then Left click "Write MP3 ID tags". Go have some coffee or take the afternoon off (depending on how many files KJ File Managers has to work on. Caution! Be sure all your titles are in the title column and the Artists are under the artist column and the Disc ID is under the DiscID column before you do either of all these two steps. When these to steps are performed VDJ reads everything perfectly and puts all info under the proper columns and your searches will work perfectly. I do 2 other things. One....I remove the parentheses from song titles such as: Drive (For Daddy Gene) or I don't have to be home ('Til Monday). They now read Drive for Daddy Gene and I Don't have To Be Home 'Til Monday. If you leave the parentheses VDJ will put the text in parentheses in the Remix Column. Second (if you use the Vocal tracks) I do use them, so I put (Vocal) at the end of the Title. VDJ then puts the word Vocal in the Remix column. Hint: when was working on my entire library I would load a large portion of my library into KJFM and set up one of the processes and let it run over night. Hope this has been helpful.

Posted Mon 28 Mar 16 @ 7:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)