Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ8 Randomly Closing out

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all

I DJ 2-4 times a week, for about 5-6 hours at a time. I've noticed, for about the past 3 weeks, that once a week, VirtualDJ will just close out. Music stops, Video goes dead, and I receive a round of boos for the 3 seconds or so it takes for me to relaunch and throw another song on.

I have a Early 2011 - Macbook Pro with Yosemite 10.10.5 installed. No background programs running, and this is happened both with WIFI on and off. I am not running a controller, but i do have my phone synched via the mobile app. - So audio is running out of the headphone jack to the mixer, i have a solid state 2 Tb drive attached via USB, a pair of USB Headphones attached (which is acting like a second sound card so i can hear the other deck as i'm mixing), and i have an HDMI cable out for video.

It's completely random, and i have no warning when it will happen.

Anyone else have this issue??

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 3:02 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Smoke machine power spike? Maybe. Does it happen at home?

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 4:05 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
There exists a very vague theory among some german VIP guys that it is maybe related to HDMI connection.
Someone reported he gets that every time he is using HDMI. If he's using VGA no problems at all.

Maybe give it a try. We still need people to confirm this theory.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 10:58 am
It doesn't happen frequently enough to determine whether it happens at home or not. However, the bar I work in has two rooms, and I play in each room on different nights. It has happened to me in both rooms. When it happens, it seems to happen between hours 3 and 5 of constant djing. I've never had the issue when I have had to set break for a band. I've had it happen during typical 3 minute songs. I also had it happen 27 minutes in to a 31 minute mix. Luckily I was back at that point and was able to load something up quick.

As for HDMI, both rooms have an HDMI cord that I plug in to my MacBook. The cord leads to an HDMI Splitter/Amp, and each room can have anywhere from 2 - 10 TVs or projectors linked to me. I've noticed this issue with as little as two projectors and no TVs linked to me. I have not tried running without video. I keep an eye on my CPU usage. The only time I really get high spikes is when I try to load a 4k video, but I have never had it fail while running a 4k video. Usually, the video will stutter for the first 15 seconds and then play as normal.

I wish I had some sort of idea what exactly triggers it, all but maybe 1 or 2 times, it's happened without me touching anything, and those 1 or 2 times were correlated with loading a track.

Posted Tue 13 Oct 15 @ 6:01 pm
UPDATE: i think i found the correlation I have a stock video set up in slide show to run when i don't have a video for the song i am playing. On thursdays, I DJ Battle with another DJ, and i run the stock video while he is playing. Whenever i cue up a song, it shows the starting frame on that video, so I force the slideshow to play by clicking "slideshow", it is sometime after this that VDJ will just close out. If i load a song on a deck that doesn't have a video, and keep the cross fader there, it will play the video and allow me to cue up, and VDJ typically won't randomly close anytime that night.

It would be nice if someone had a plugin or program similar to MixEmergency for Serato that would keep the music and video playing even when VDJ dies due to a bug in the software.

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 11:11 pm
JW1981Home userMember since 2015
Hi,
Last night I DJ'd at a bar with 70 x TV screens with my Mac / VDJ 8 / via my built in HDMI input, but after 30 minutes the TV screens went black, I then took the HDMI cable out of my Mac for around 30 mins and tried again, it worked, but the night was a mess because this happened about 6 times. Luckily the audio continued, but the screens blacked out.

I was also using the 'slideshow' feature throughout my whole set.

Do you have any new tips or updates to fixing this crash issue ?
it's embarrassing, especially when the crowd start boo-ing

Thanks, JW

Posted Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 10:50 pm
JW1981Home userMember since 2015
IMCensored1 wrote :
UPDATE: i think i found the correlation I have a stock video set up in slide show to run when i don't have a video for the song i am playing. On thursdays, I DJ Battle with another DJ, and i run the stock video while he is playing. Whenever i cue up a song, it shows the starting frame on that video, so I force the slideshow to play by clicking "slideshow", it is sometime after this that VDJ will just close out. If i load a song on a deck that doesn't have a video, and keep the cross fader there, it will play the video and allow me to cue up, and VDJ typically won't randomly close anytime that night.

It would be nice if someone had a plugin or program similar to MixEmergency for Serato that would keep the music and video playing even when VDJ dies due to a bug in the software.

Thanks for this info. Do you have any news / updates on this ?

Posted Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 10:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)