Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Text on screen. Direct3D not initialized.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Greetings,

I'm stumped again. I thought the video effect Text2D worked before on this machine with VDJ8. Now I'm getting "Direct3D is not initialized". And in "SBDJ ScrollText I get "Direct3D not initialized".

I ran DXDIAG and see I am on DirectX 11. And the DirectX display features all say "Enabled". Is there a setting I'm missing? Or should I try to download DirectX 11 again?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Posted Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 3:01 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012

Posted Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 5:49 am
Thanks RobRoy. I tried your suggestion on my XP machine that has the same problem. The 2 installations did not work. Text2D also does not work on my VDJ 8 Windows 7, HP Laptop. Same "Direct3D NOT initalized" error.

I tried Text2D on my XP machine with VDJ 7 and it works properly. So at this point I'm curious if Text2D works on anybody's VDJ 8 machine. And we really should have a reliable TEXT plug-in or something like it, for such a state of the art DJ software as Virtual DJ. I'm running video this weekend and would have liked to post messages on the screens like I used to.

One observation. In VDJ 7 when you activate the Text2D plug-in there is a push button "ACTIVATE" which VDJ 8's plug-in does not have. I believe this "ACTIVATE" button initializes the Direct3D.

Would it be possible to create a VDJ script command to activate Direct3d manually?

I'm holding off working on my gig laptop. I'm on this weekend, and it's time to work on music.

Thanks for the help.

Jimmy

Posted Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 8:39 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You have activated video before attempting to activate the plugin, right?

VDJ8's activate button is the little green button in the effect select list (or the actual deck effect control itself).

In any case Text2D and ScrollText are not VDJ8 compatible plugins.

Posted Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 1:16 pm
SBDJ wrote :
You have activated video before attempting to activate the plugin, right?

VDJ8's activate button is the little green button in the effect select list (or the actual deck effect control itself).

In any case Text2D and ScrollText are not VDJ8 compatible plugins.

Yes I have a video running for the experiment. When I try to activate either Text2D or ScrollText I get the "Direct3D not initialized". Text2D and ScrollText do not have a little green activate button like other plug-ins.

I did find the "TEXT" plug-in under Visualizations. It's really basic, but will do the job. I just don't like that you can't save the text, or recall already saved ones.

Thus I can't recall pre-made text messages. I have to experiment to get font, centering, etc. correct in front of a live crowd. NOT the ideal situation.

It's a shame Text2D is not compatible. Hopefully one of you GURUs will put a compatible version out there for us.

It is a little frustrating to go backwards like this. Virtual DJ 8 is incredible. Please could some developer build a great text program for VDJ 8.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 1:01 am
What up Jimmy? A few suggestions. When you open the text plugin, it hides the scroll function, so just go to the bottom and pull it down so you can see. Yeah, it should open all the way, but I don't cry about the small stuff. If I need to repeat several, I just put them in a text document on the desktop, copy and paste, and retrieve when I need them. I also use Tellymedia. There is a free plugin available and a donation will get you free upgrades. Keep it movin my brother.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 1:28 am
Thanks AMAHM I'll use your suggestion on pasting my messages from a Word or Text document into the plug-in. I'm sure it will take a little futzing around to get the right font type and size. I'll set it up before the gig.

I have my TellyMedia set up and ready to go for tonight. I've built 4 PAKs with my Video Blocks inventory. Pretty cool plug-in.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 7:10 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hey Guys, I don't use V8, but if you have regular messages that you want up on screen why not animate them and, make a bank of predetermined messages in the video sampler, v8 sampler with the use of the transparency control on images and video files is just ideal for stuff like that.

If anyone wants "stock" messages made for their shows free of charge, or if you can think of generic messages or image files to make a video bank of them just let me know.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 9:02 am
JimmyL-DJ wrote :
Thanks AMAHM I'll use your suggestion on pasting my messages from a Word or Text document into the plug-in. I'm sure it will take a little futzing around to get the right font type and size. I'll set it up before the gig.

I have my TellyMedia set up and ready to go for tonight. I've built 4 PAKs with my Video Blocks inventory. Pretty cool plug-in.

Jimmy, I compose the text in VDJ, then copy to the text document on the desktop.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 2:09 pm
AMAHM I'm doing the opposite. I'll create my message in Notepad then paste it into "TEXT". Same result. Different path. I'll have some pre-made. But most messages will be on the fly.

Thanks Tayla for the suggestion and offer. Anamated messages I can see in the future. I'm taking baby steps right now.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 8:44 pm
I hear you, but if you do it the other way, you know everything fits.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 8:46 pm
Hi,

I bought the software very recently, I need help in displaying the desired text while the video is playing in the Deck. Previously, in VDJ7 which was not a licensed version, I could easily navigate to video effects and activate the same.
However, there seems to be a challenge in the original version. It may be that the option is available & am not aware on how to activate.

It would be great help if someone could guide me to get this done.
Thanks

Posted Mon 14 Dec 15 @ 3:15 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If it's v8 you're using now, then text is under visualisations in the effect selection menu.

Posted Mon 14 Dec 15 @ 5:06 pm
You can create as many layouts as you want in TellyVisuals and load them at any time. This one took a few minutes. Has a shaded background with a border and some decorations in a text panel. A text panel always fits the text so it never overflows the panel. You have a choice of colors, borders, background images or colors. You can set a flag telling it to auto wrap or not. You could also use a scrolling marquee panel. Shown with VDJ video below it. It automatically scales to the size of the video window and you can move it or size it anyway you want.

TellyVisuals and TellyMedia are for VDJ7 and VDJ8

Posted Tue 15 Dec 15 @ 8:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)