Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: HOW TO Migrate VDJ from PC to MAC. Exporting/converting: Database, Playlists, History, Virtual Folders and so on.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi to all, I'm new on the forum but a long time VDJ user. Til today I've used VDJ on a Windows-PC, now I bought a new MACBook Pro and need to export all my environment on it. Looking around in VDJ forum I've found different procedures to transfer database, playlists, history and other on a MAC but no guide is completely exhaustive. Some methods uses text editing to substitute path infos in the "VirtualDJ Database v6.xml" or .m3u playlists, but often at the end of the sentence the formula is : "it should work...". I don't think i'm the only one VDJ user in the need to transfer data from PC to MAC, so I'm asking those, who have already done this experience, which is the official procedure or alternatively if there is a wizard tool to do this. Thanks!

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 8:06 am
I just did this myself and need to get an answer for my edits to work. I connected the PC & Mac together with an Ethernet cable to do the transfer and it worked out. I had to remove the fav folders and put them back on as fav's and that fixed a lot of the missing files issue. I still have some songs I have to hunt down and relocate missing file tho. However my .vdjedit's do not work at all. I am thinking of creating a folder on the PC called "C:/users/(my name on the mac)/music/clean" or whatever I have named it and then sending a copy through VDJ to that folder to see if that works but no idea just yet. I transferred all my cache songs to the cache folder on the Mac and they all work just fine. If you have your music in "my music" on the PC I suggest you keep it the same on the Mac.
Brendan

Posted Fri 02 Oct 15 @ 6:35 am
I just made this conversion last week. I really couldn't find any good info. The only thing that I will say is that I didn't understand the compatibility issues between PC and MAC when it comes to external HDs. I connected and repeatedly added my HD to the search DB. Overtime I would shut down VDJ and re-open it, I would have to re-add everything. I wasn't understanding why this continued to happen. I realized when looking into my HD that it was read-only. So the VDJ program couldn't add a needed file onto the drive. I did some research and discovered that MACs can only read drives that are formatted to NTFS...not write to them. So I had to reformat the drive to FAT. My drive did exFAT. But, FAT32 would be okay. These are formats that MAC can read AND write to. This isn't exactly what was asked, but this would've saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Maybe someone out there can get some use out of this.

Posted Sat 03 Oct 15 @ 3:31 am
Thanks for the MAC drive format insight .I have been a long time VDJ user with windows .The always changing product that Microsoft
keeps changing ,redoing ,fixing and patching etc. etc. finally got me worked up for what I hope is the last time.
My wife is a Pro photographer and uses all MAC products . This year I took the MAC plunge . I have been taking the transition slowly
, so as not to get jammed up . I wonder if the moderators already have or would consider putting together a guide for those of us who
want to go to MAC from WINDOWS and get setup RIGHT from the start ? I would be most grateful and perhaps many others would ,too.

Thanks for all your fine work and thanks for a great product.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 16 @ 2:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)