Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Putting together a Mid-09 MBPro from scrap

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys,
So after many debates with other Dj's and my own paranoia I have bought a used MacBook Pro Mid '09 but it is coming with no HDD, no power cord, and untested because of this. No idea if I just shot myself in the foot but it's too late. My plan provided everything is functional is to buy an SSD and power cord and go. Maybe upgrade the ram & replace the battery to ease my mind.

I have a friend that lives in another city who works for Apple and he told me that if it powers on then I can take it to Apple and they will install an OS for free. The current OS is Yosemite until the new one comes out. If I am starting from scratch provided it works what problems could I run into if the only thing I have installed is VDJ & Mixed In Key?

With the SSD I'm expecting it boot quick like everyone on the net says it will and I will only be Djing with it and nothing more. The PC that I have gets used in the same fashion but will become my main back up.

Anyone got any suggestions that I should do?

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 6:17 am
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Sorry about the delay, but that's a scary one... You are looking at a 6 year old computer, and then adding parts to it. Here's some points:

- First, what is the processor and RAM of the device? (If you can get the serial number, you can get the stock configuration info from Apple, however more RAM may have been added.)

- Apple WILL NOT install the OS for free for you. You are looking at a service appointment of $150-200 for that. However, if you have someone that has a Mac, they can make a bootable USB stick for you, and you can do the install once you install an SSD or hard drive.

- How long do you expect this laptop to work for you? Generally, if you are looking at getting 2 or more years out of it, you will want to buy something newer. At some point, this hardware still fail.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the investment.

Posted Tue 22 Sep 15 @ 7:36 pm
My apple buddy told me the boot drive will only work if the computer creating the boot is the same build. I hope that Command R will work and it will just install the OS but if not then it's off to apple. Again he assured me a visit to the Genius Bar will not cost me a dime and they will install the OS. He has given me the type of RAM I will need as I think stock it came with 4 Gigs. It's still not here but should be any day now.

Posted Fri 25 Sep 15 @ 9:49 am
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Do not do a 'Recovery'. Once you have a USB boot drive with the latest OS connected, boot the laptop and hold the 'Option' key. This will give you a startup menu. Choose the USB drive to boot from, and then you can partition, format, install from there.

This may be different from store to store, however my neighbor is the Apple District Manager for all of the stores on Long Island and some parts of Queens and he confirmed that Apple WILL NOT install the OS for free on a laptop which is not under AppleCare.

Posted Mon 28 Sep 15 @ 1:41 pm
Well 1) I'm in Canada
2) I'm on my mac now and Apple installed the OS free of charge. I can't tell you what OS as I have no idea how to use this thing yet lol.

Posted Wed 30 Sep 15 @ 4:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)