Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Advice on putting equipment together

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am in some kind of process to rebuild my DJ equipment to make it better to handle possible malfunction including PC crash.
Until today I have one Denon HC4500 controller and mixer, Denon X500. As backup I use the Denon DN-D4500 dual CD-player.
I will change my system so it will contain 2 PC's (since the EULA approves two PC running as the same time VDJ) instead and make it more flexible.

First I just thought to duplicate the HC4500 and use on for each PC. Stick with the same equipment and use the X500 as main mixer.
Another idea popped up, and that is to use a MC6000 for either backup or "main" controller connected to one of the PC.s. Then I would also get some redundancy for the mixer if the X500 fails.

Just would like to hear how you handle this, and minimizing the risk of turning into a quiet clown if something fails during a gig.
I want to have a reliable backup system, ready to go.

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 1:34 pm
Don't tell anyone that I told you this, but I have been flying without protection, for a long time. Well, that's not 100% true. There is a mp3 player hooked up in the club, that I could use in case of a minor issue. I also have some audio and video tracks on my phone, again for a minor incident. What if a simple reboot doesn't work, and all hell breaks loose? I am trying to keep it simple. I just bought a Surface Pro 3, that I have not opened yet (that's another story), that I plan on using as a backup. I also have a DJ2Go controller in my bag, and DMC2 controller in the van. My plan is to have the Surface Pro 3 or a laptop open and ready to go, plus the DJ2Go. These can be hooked to either of my controllers, RMX2 or MC6000. I am looking for a new controller, just have not made a decision yet.

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 2:26 pm
Interesting advice or "lack of advice" :)
But you have a second laptop/PC ready to run in case?

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 3:46 pm
No, but that is my plan. That is what I have used in the past. I thought I gave you good advise, and different options. Cell phone, mp3 player, or get a second laptop, with a small controller. Have it set up and ready to go. I thought it was a simple solution. I even have cables to run directly from my laptop to the speakers, if I have to. Did I miss something?

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 4:22 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I wish I had somewhere good in my car to hide a backup laptop.
I don't like the idea of taking two laptops into a venue.
Mine stays at home, and I rely on my mobile phone.

The mc6000 is the ultimate performance / compactness piece of equipment.
It can do much more than a pair of CDJ's, and yet is very small in comparison.
If the mc6000 has a problem, it's that it's too small.
The world is nuts, that should be an advantage.

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 4:25 pm
I'm mostly a mobile dj and I have one flightcase with my laptop and the HC 4500 controller, and another flightcase with a DNX 1600 mixer and a HD 2500 USB player as a backup.

The first flightcase is relatively small, it's a standard DJM flightcase. The second one is a lot larger, but since I only use that with my own drive-in-show, it's not a problem. When I have to play in a bar or a club or something, the venue already has all the equipment so I just bring 2 USB sticks as a backup.

If there's no decent equipment and there's no room for my own dj booth, I bring a Numark Mixdeck as a backup. It takes up a lot less space than my DNX 1600 / HD 2500 combo, it can play CD, USB and MIDI and I can hook up my HC 4500 to the mixer as well. I did fall a little in love with the Pioneer XDJ-RX though, so I'm afraid my mixdeck will have to make some room for that one soon ;-)

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 4:54 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
No, but that is my plan. That is what I have used in the past. I thought I gave you good advise, and different options. Cell phone, mp3 player, or get a second laptop, with a small controller. Have it set up and ready to go. I thought it was a simple solution. I even have cables to run directly from my laptop to the speakers, if I have to. Did I miss something?

No I appreciate it. "Keep it simple" is of course the best way to do most of complex technical stuff.
A backup should stay "backup" and should not offer the same level of features as the main. What's important - don't let anyone notice you got a problem.
Perhaps I am shooting over the target - I aim for two quite identical systems, in case one fails.
I don't know what's most likely to fail - but a PC crash should be no.1 I guess, that's why I want to keep 2 separate PC's in my rack.
Show must go on.

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 5:27 pm
NOW I know why I bought the Pioneer XDJ-RX!! :D plays from usb stick (128 gb music) AND controls VDJ!

(I also keep a DJ2GO in the car)

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 5:51 pm
Hi Mr Jackson,

I personally like to be flexible, I would use an ipod as immediate one touch playback device in case of crash and keep a second laptop in your vehicle. Building new flightcases and adding additional gear is so expensive and what do you really gain?

I know those Denon mixers are terrible I had two back in the day and both after a year had serious problems with the buttons (typical Denon)

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 7:54 pm
I bought the used MC6000 mk1 and I love it.
I see big potential of custom mapping and this baby will be used for my main setup and the HC4500 as backup.
DJ'ing is a constant process of improving and finding better ways of doing our job just like a guitarist is searching for the ultimate sound of distortion 😊

Posted Fri 17 Jul 15 @ 12:27 pm
As you already warned me, the play and cue buttons were a bit tired and I replaced the tact switches. These switches are real standard stuff and can be found everywhere.
Now it behaves like new!

Posted Thu 23 Jul 15 @ 4:37 pm
here is my 2 Cents ;-) = My Current Gear & Backup. right now i DJ with Two Denon SC3900's, Laptop & American Audio 14MXR....... The Denons Play Usb Flash Drives, Cd's (Which i Never Use) & midi. if either Denon Dies. the 14MXR is an mixer & controller in one. and VDJ Native. so i can just DJ the rest of the night with that. if laptop dies i have an back up in my Blazer. if mixer dies i have an Smaller American Audio 10MXR ready to go ;-)

Posted Fri 24 Jul 15 @ 8:38 am
It's the difference between the pro's and amateurs - backup or not , ready to go and no-one will hardly notice!

Posted Fri 24 Jul 15 @ 9:46 am
I run a laptop and Denon MC6000 myself as a mobile DJ. As I do weddings, I have what I consider to be fail safe backup systems in place. However I won't know they are truly failsafe until one day I may have to use one of them.

First line of defence is my Samsung Note 3 phone, loaded with my core music collection with Cross DJ installed and ready to go via a line in on the Denon. That's if the laptop needs a reboot or worse, dies. If the laptop dies, I have a 6 year old netbook that runs vdj8, just. Takes up very little space in my gear bag. If the Denon dies, I have the necessary adapters to hook my laptop/phone/netbook directly to the speakers. This leaves me without a mic but the show would still go on. The joy of powered speakers is it's highly unlikely more than one will die at the same time.

Simple solutions really which gives me peace of mind that if anything goes down, I can continue.

Posted Sun 02 Aug 15 @ 12:24 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I'd second a phone, and Cross DJ as a light weight back-up.
I quite liked the update which came out last week.
It was cheap as well, just a few pounds.
Also Pacemaker is quite good.

If I was using my decks then flash drives would be an option.
On top of that I would use a Playbook which has turned out to be quite good.
It has little software however music management can be conducted from a laptop using a usb connection.
Pacemaker is the only adequate dj software on this platform.

Posted Sun 02 Aug 15 @ 1:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)