Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Many songs from iTunes are missing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi there

Whilst preparing music for a party tonight I noticed that I couldn't find a particular song in one of my itunes playlists. I then tried using the search bar to try and find the song, but it was still missing.

This prompted me to check what was showing in VDJ8 against my actual iTunes playlist, and I've now discovered that many songs are missing. For example, I have a "DJ" folder in iTunes containing a number of playlists, which in iTunes shows as containing 511 songs, but on VDJ8 that folder shows 452 files.

For the avoidance of doubt, these missing songs show up fine in actual iTunes, and play without any problems, so I know they are there.

Ive tried using "recurse" and "add to search DB" on the iTunes folder (as well as the individual playlists) but this has not made any difference. I have also tried navigating to the iTunes music folder through volumes > users > music > itunes etc. and tried "recurse" and "add to search db" here, but still no luck.

What is happening here? I really need to play some of this music.

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 1:04 am
What OS? What version of iTunes? What version (build number) of VDJ 8? Internal or external drive?

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 2:26 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
In addition to the above - the media files themselves are actually on the computer correct (ie not iTunes cloud files) and are in a non-DRM format?

If you locate a file in iTunes that is missing in VDJ, then find where it's actually located, then browse to that location in VDJ do you see the file?

Can you drop it from Finder into a VDJ deck?

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 9:00 am
Hi there, thanks for the replies and sorry for my delay in responding.

With your help I've now discovered what the problem is. I recently bought a compilation album and for some reason some of the songs on it (including the one I was looking for) are DRM protected. I would assume that the same would apply for the other missing songs.

iTunes doesn't make this clear in any way that I can see, so I was unaware that this was even a thing!

Presumably there isn't any way to play these type of tracks in Virtual DJ, other than purchasing non-DRM versions of the songs?

Thanks again.

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 11:24 am
VDJ 7 should play them, but that functionality was not carried over to VDJ 8.

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 11:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)