Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Using VDJ (Mac Version) with Nightclub CDJ's?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I wonder if someone could help me please.

I haven't actually played out in a nightclub since 1210's. After a break from DJ-ing I was introduced 4 years ago to Virtual DJ and shown the advantages of
DJ-ing digitally and the options it opens up in versatility.
I have only used Virtual DJ over the past 4 years along with a Re-Loop Controller. At local bar's/pubs which I play regularly and when I do private work - it is simple for me find room to set up my controller (usually balanced on top of the unused decks) but I want to bring myself up to speed for how I would go about playing at gig within a nightclub.

It seems the majority of my DJ pals all use Serato DJ and talk about something called a 'Scratch Live' Box but I have to be honest - this doesn't mean much to me?
I have watched a few youtube videos which show DJ's simply pluging wires (the same as USB to controller) into the back of the CDJ's and then into the laptop -- they then go to Config, select the sound card and the CDJ's appear here and are able to be selected.

Is it this simple? What else should I be aware of? Any help would be great.

Cheers French
www.mixcloud.com/frenchydjessex

Posted Sun 15 Feb 15 @ 1:03 pm
A "Scratch Live box" is just an external USB audio interface designed for use with Serato Scratch Live software.

Scratch Live is "vinyl emulation" software which allows DJs to control computer playback of digital files by using timecode. See here.

A timecode signal can be played from vinyl (the most common method), from a CD, or even from a digital media file or direct from certain hardware.

The general idea though, is to allow playback of files from a computer by using older technology such as turntables. As such, it's favoured by turntablists but isn't really necessary when using USB MIDI controllers such as your Reloop device, as they have direct control of the software.

VDJ has the ability to use timecode, and accepts most of the common types (as the various brands/systems use different signals).

IMO if you have a controller then timecode isn't necessary unless you're really going to town with scratch techniques etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The newer CDJ models (and other brands) can not only play CDs but be used as USB MIDI controllers with built in audio interfaces. This enables them to be connected to computer by USB and control the software & play audio directly through the same RCA outputs as when playing CD - so they can be left connected to a mixer.

Posted Sun 15 Feb 15 @ 1:31 pm
Thanks a lot for the reply mate - very interesting.

In the case I was to turn up at a nightclub and there wasn't physical room to place my controller anywhere...
Is there a way of plugging the nightclubs CDJ's into Virtual DJ and simply using these in theory as a controller.... or is that simply just time coding again but with CD's?

Cheers

Posted Sun 15 Feb 15 @ 1:40 pm
It depends on the CDJs...

Older models are purely CD players, so using those to control Virtual DJ would require a timecode/DVS setup to send the timecode signal (recorded on a CD) from the CDJs into the computer. You'd need an external audio interface with at least two stereo inputs (one from each CDJ for timecode) and two stereo outputs (one to each mixer channel for music).

Newer CDJs have USB ports on the back, so you'd just need a USB cable from each to the computer, then set the computer up to use the CDJs as controllers & audio outputs.

Posted Sun 15 Feb 15 @ 2:02 pm
That's quality - thanks for update mate.

I really need to try plugging my virtual dj into some up to date CDJ's then to see how easy it is to set them up!! :)

Posted Tue 17 Feb 15 @ 4:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)