Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Use a hidden deck to enable EQ & FX for a mic?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

As the mic input on VDJ 8 has no EQ or effects available, I am considering using a 'hidden' third deck in a skin to enable the mic (as a line in) to route through it so that I can have "mic EQ" and "mic FX" on the skin.

I've seen this being done with decks that are visible on the skin, but is it possible to set this up so it happens "behind the scenes" as a workaround?

Posted Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 10:43 am
Of course.

Best probably to set up a panel that be accessed in some way so that FX and EQ etc can be adjusted and then have your two buttons visible somewhere on the skin.
As a rule if it can be done whilst visible it can also be done whilst invisible.

Posted Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 10:53 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
One thing, if the skin is a 2 deck skin to do stuff on a 3rd invisible deck you have to load a track on it to make it exist.
So onint "deck 3 load "C:\ThisDoesntHaveToBeARealTrack" & deck 3 unload"

Or you could make it a 3 deck skin

Posted Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 11:04 am
locodog wrote :
you have to load a track on it to make it exist.

Really? I can't just have an oninit to turn on lineine for "invisideck"?

I assumed that I'd have to specify nbdecks="3" but just not have a 3rd deck on the GUI - just state deck="3" for any EQ and FX and have those controls visible.

Posted Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 11:45 am
groovindj wrote :
locodog wrote :
you have to load a track on it to make it exist.

Really?

News to me if you do - but i haven't tried the setup you are aiming for.

groovindj wrote :
I assumed that I'd have to specify nbdecks="3" but just not have a 3rd deck on the GUI - just state deck="3" for any EQ and FX and have those controls visible.

You don't need to set the nbdecks if this is a V8 skin.
V8 only reads this information to display in the config menu - it actually doesn't do anything otherwise.

Posted Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 11:53 am
So you've said before - but it did cause me an issue with the Controller by Dennyo skin. :-)

Posted Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 12:03 pm
In your scenario i don't think it will cause any issues.

The key with it is - if you omit it altogether, it shouldn't have any effect on the skin or its workings.
However - if you include it and have it set to 2 on a 4 deck skin then it will cause problems, like wise having it set to 4 on a 2 deck skin can cause issues.

Posted Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 12:12 pm
Gotcha.

Posted Sun 01 Feb 15 @ 12:44 pm
Loco is this the method to your post fader effects. Just trying to clarify?

Posted Thu 05 Feb 15 @ 4:54 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
not this thread, that one is in bugs (oddly,)

Posted Thu 05 Feb 15 @ 5:01 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Just a small correction here:
It is still recommended to correctly set nbdecks on a v8 skin, it does do more than just the value shown in config.
It is true that it is not as important anymore as in v7, since loading a track on a non-initialized deck will make it available.

The original issue with 'deck 3 linein' not working when no 3 decks had been initialized will be fixed.

Posted Sun 03 May 15 @ 9:51 am
Loco means effects such as maschine.effects that have a sequencer and need to sync to a loaded track,will load a track on that deck when you press play to start the effects sequence...but I would imagine that could be all invisible except cues and loops on the track are mapped and played but audio replaced by the plugins audio,so its good to double check the track by turning off the effect to show the track.but I know you guys know this ;)

Posted Tue 05 May 15 @ 10:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)