Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Shader GLSL support, ever?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 3:53 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You can use GLSL shaders on the Mac version, have been able to since the Mac version was conceived.

You would use HLSL on Windows. It's generally very easy to convert between the two.

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 8:45 pm
Thanks for explanation. I've already found that those files are text files with .frag extension (GLSL), found some online editors for creating, but can you explain how to put those in VDJ's video output or respond to music? Are the GLSL files different and is there any converting tool (HLSL to GLSL)? Sorry for all these questions, but really can't find anything clear on the web.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 3:02 am
I remember I've seen .fx files among DJDecks setup files, but that was too complicated in that time for me. Now, I can see similar effects in VDJ, but there are only .dll's. Is there a way to use .fx files in VDJ8 effects or it has to be compiled to .dll?

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 10:41 am
You'd have to wrap the shader in a plugin, including your own shader management and drawing.

You'll also need to do some form of audio processing (for example fft) and pass something from that to the shader too.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 9:37 pm
I'm too scared to jump in programmer's water, combining those skills with my imagination would be pretty lethal for my free time. Just wish there would be some kind of plugin that would allow to add .fx file and make it respond to music. Something like Sonique plugin... Anyway, thanks for your answers.

Posted Tue 30 Dec 14 @ 3:46 am
Sure, I could do that easily enough, I already use HLSL and GLSL shaders in my plugins and have a custom library written to handle them.

It means you'd have to purchase a license to be able to use it though...

Posted Tue 30 Dec 14 @ 9:00 pm
Just found this cuttie on www.bazik-vj.com. It's a sound driven GLSL renderer on Windows, it's possible to use Spout and add it to a VDJ screen. It's using *.frag files on my Windows ultrabook. I thought Windows uses *.fx files, strange.

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 3:57 pm
The file extension is irrelevant; .frag is commonly used for GLSL fragment shaders though.

Posted Wed 28 Jan 15 @ 8:41 am
Well, there it goes... I installed this stuff:

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/

It allowed me to fool around with pixel shaders, there's a way to connect it to audio from VDJ over virtual audio cable. Also, you can send it's video stream to VDJ over the Spout (PC) or Syphon (Mac). There's a pixel shader additional pack:

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/resources

Just to make it hot! Milkdrop, Soundspectrum??? Who cares anymore?! ;-)

Posted Mon 11 Jan 16 @ 1:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)