Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How can I use 7.4.2 with a controller licence?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bennyd63ControlleristMember since 2011
Hello,

New to the forums. I have been using VDJ 7 Free for years and love it. Decided to get a controller and pay Atomix for all the years of fun I've had with VDJ. This meant I was forced to move from my beloved VDJ 7 to the new VDJ 8. I like what's going on over in 8 but I've lost the functionality of my sound effects (brake and spin back no longer 'slip' back) and the worst part is that VDJ8 cannot handle heavy bass!!! I get severe crackling sounds at certain frequencies and cannot find a way to fix it. Same tracks play fine in VDJ 7. I am using a macbook pro retina (2014) and a Hercules Instinct. Whether I play through the mac or the controller sound card or the headphones the crackling is still evident.

I just want to find a way to use 7.4.2 so I can have back my functionality. Is there a way to do this? If it requires some weird hack or crack I don't mind as I have paid my licence fee.

Many thanks

Ben (london)

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 10:33 am
Sorry, this is not possible. VirtualDJ v7 does not support the new licensing options in v8 such as controller licenses or monthly Pro subscription. The only way to use a controller in v7 without a full Pro Infinity license is if the controller came with VirtualDJ LE (Limited Edition) included with it by the manufacturer.

If the controller did not come with LE then your only options are to use v8 with your controller license or purchase v8 Pro Infinity which will also give you access to legal v7 Pro. Please also bear in mind that a controller license is for non-commercial use only and cannot be used at gigs where you are being paid. If you are a working DJ then you need the full Pro Infinity or monthly v8 Pro subscription - either of which your earnings from gigs should easily pay for (and you may also be able to claim off your tax as a business expense.)

Sound quality in v8 is considerably superior than v7 so if you are having issues then this is most likely a configuration issue or your computer is not optimised for DJ performance (see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Performance%20Issues.html ). You may also be triggering the built in limiter in v8 if your levels are too excessive - See http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Limiter.html

Not sure what you mean by brake and backspin not slipping back. They don't in v7 either unless you have slip mode enabled. Slip mode is available in v8 too.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 14 @ 12:10 pm
bennyd63ControlleristMember since 2011
Hello, thanks for the response! Just to let you know I am purely a non profit entity and I just love mixing in my spare time or at the occasional house party (hopefully this NYE!). My Soundcloud profile has a two hour bedroom mix I made on VDJ7 - https://soundcloud.com/bendemont

Just to be clear - I have no issues with VDJ7. My three problems appear in VDJ8 and as of yet I have found no answers on the internet.

1) Crackling sound - This is evident in a lot of my mixes in VDJ8. It is best demonstrated when I run a "Bass Test 40Hz-15Hz" mp3. As the bass shifts there is an obvious crackle. I notice it when I mix normally in VDJ8 but here it is most evident. I have uploaded the same mp3 playing in VDJ7 and VDJ8 here - http://www.filedropper.com/vdj7vsvdj8 (click the GREY download button in the middle of all the ads)

I think it may be something to do with me using 'fast stretching' in VDJ7 but this does not appear as an option in VDJ8???

I am using a Macbook Pro Retina with 16GB of ram running Yosemite. I have tried your suggestions - fixed permissions, definitely enough ram, not overheating, not an illegal version, permissions are fine, no software running in background etc... It is not a limiter issue either.

2 + 3) There are two effects in VDJ7 that I enjoy - 'Backspin' and 'Brake'. They have a characteristic that works like this:
Track is playing.
Activate effect. (point x)
Effect starts.
Turn off effect before it has finished (e.g. after 0.5 seconds)
Track resumes playing but not from point x but instead point x + 0.5s

This is commonly known as Slip I believe? I cannot find a way to recreate this feature in VDJ8 using your mapping syntax. VDJ8 will resume play from wherever the music has been backspun to or will play after the brake.
I had hoped to use some effect plugins made by Chackl which were unlocked when I bought the licence. These do not carry over to VDJ8. I cannot seem to bring the old effects over to VDJ8 either.

Maybe you can help me out with some of these issues please? I would greatly appreciate it :D I understand that VDJ8 is work in progress and look forward to all updates. In the meantime, is there any way I can buy a VDJ 7.4.2 LE licence off you?

Kind regards

Ben de Mont

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 6:12 am
The issue with crackling sound may be an artefact of the time stretching alhorithm which is used by key lock/master tempo to allow you to change the tempo (bpm) of the music without changing its musical key. Any such algorithm will alter the original sound to achieve its results unless pitch is exactly at 0%. Some algorithms are better than others depending on amount of pitch adjustment, type of music, etc.

In VDJ v7, by default a simple algorithm is used for compatibilty with older computers. This is very basic and you will hear very noticeable artefacts as you apply greater adjustment to the pitch. Most noticeably some of the drum beats will sound cut off. v7 also has an advanced stretching option in the settings that will give much better quality results in most cases, but is for faster computers only.

VDJ v8 by default uses an advanced algorithm. It's possible to configure a different simpler algorithm in the advanced options (you will need to tick the box to show these.) The setting is pitchquality - try changing it to 1 to see if it makes any difference.

If you can replicate this crackling with a specific file on another computer then please report it in the bug reports forum along with a link to the test file so that it can be investigated by the dev team and other users.

Regarding brake and backspin, these are implemented very differently in v7 and v8. In v7 they are separate add-on audio effects that play over the top of the playing track. In v8 they are built in effects that affect song playback appropriately. To replicate the v7 behaviour, you could try combining with slip mode, e.g: Try mapping a custom button, keyboard shortcut or spare button on your MIDI controller to the following:

effect_active 'brake' ? effect_active 'brake' off & slip_mode off : slip_mode on & effect_active 'brake' on

Please note that VDJ v8 is very different to v7 and many effects and other plugins designed for v7 and earlier are not compatible and need to be rewritten by their authors.

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 7:17 pm
how can i get 7.4.2

Posted Fri 29 Jan 16 @ 1:50 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006

Posted Fri 29 Jan 16 @ 11:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)